DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

I'm rather new to this.... Any other sports nuts that love R.Jordan?

Murphy3

I don't know if I'm a bit out of place or what... I am a sports freak.  I don't know if your average reader of this genre is a sports freak, but that's exactly what I am.  I used to be a 'professional' sports writer.  I'll be honest when I say that no one that I hang out with or associate with on a daily basis has anything to do with this genre.  None of them have ever even heard of Robert Jordan.  Please tell me that I'm not alone... surely I cannot be the only sports nut that loves Tolkien, Stephen Donaldson, Tad Williams, Jordan and a host of other authors....

Anyways, besides that, I'm just a 32 year old guy from Fort Worth, Texas.  Yes, I am a bit down right now because of three things:

1. The Cowboys lost

2. It's not baseball season.

3. I need my WoT fix

So, does anyone have any suggestions within the fantasy genre?  I need something new to tackle before the next WoT book comes out.

Well, you're not completely alone. I'm a 39 year old pipeliner from just outside Monroe, La. Big fan of the LSU Tigers (damn it, Leslie), and HOW 'BOUT DEM SAINTS! 13-0! The Cowboys are in trouble this coming Sat. I also follow college baseball and basketball, boxing, UFC and a few other sports, all to a lesser degree than American football. There's also a big European presence around the board who seem pretty passionate about soccer and rugby.

I'm pretty new to this board. I'm off work for a couple of weeks due to a severely sprained ankle and I've been posting quite a bit. Started the books years ago and I've visited this site and others but never bothered to register and participate. I'll probably continue to visit even after I return to work though probably less often.

I actually lived in Graford, TX for a couple of years. Had a place at Lake Possum Kingdom, beautiful area. WHO DAT!!!

Or as we Europeans call it, football. ;)

Anyway, welcome to DM! We currently have a new area to discuss sport - check out the Dragonsworn discussion group. It caters for everyone. And while you are at it, check out the rest of DM for there is much on offer. If you get stuck, lost or confused, don't hesitate to ask a question here - we will do our best to help out.

Whatever you do at DM, have fun! :)

I don't know if I'm a bit out of place or what... I am a sports freak.  I don't know if your average reader of this genre is a sports freak, but that's exactly what I am.  I used to be a 'professional' sports writer.  I'll be honest when I say that no one that I hang out with or associate with on a daily basis has anything to do with this genre.  None of them have ever even heard of Robert Jordan.  Please tell me that I'm not alone... surely I cannot be the only sports nut that loves Tolkien, Stephen Donaldson, Tad Williams, Jordan and a host of other authors....

Anyways, besides that, I'm just a 32 year old guy from Fort Worth, Texas.  Yes, I am a bit down right now because of three things:

1. The Cowboys lost

2. It's not baseball season.

3. I need my WoT fix

So, does anyone have any suggestions within the fantasy genre?  I need something new to tackle before the next WoT book comes out.

1) Welcome to your personal slice of DM heaven http://forums.dragonmount.com/index.php/board,277.0.html  ;D  (No, you are not alone)

2) You're from Texas.  That makes you an Astros or Rangers fan.  Do you really want it to be baseball season?

3) Well, there are a bunch of "what should I read" threads on the General discussion board that have a ton of suggestions.  But I suppose the first question is have you read George RR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series?  If not . . . that.

Yeah, I've had a bunch of people mention A Song of Ice and Fire to me since joining this forum.  I'll give it a go.  And yes, I am a huge Rangers fan. Yes, I am quite ready for baseball season.  The Rangers were much improved last year and should continue to improve these next couple of wins.  I think they won 87 last year and should be able to add to that total this year.

Shinerfan, my oldest brother actually played Graford in the playoffs in basketball back in... I believe it was 1989.  So yeah, I'm definitely familiar with that little town. As for the Saints vs the 'Boys, it'll be one heck of a battle.  I fully expect the Saints to win, but I also expect it to be an exciting game.  But yeah, a loss is a loss in the end no matter how enjoyable the game might be.

Corki, thank you for the info about the forum.  I'll definitely have to check it out.  I must say that I don't really follow Euro football, but I'll check the forum out nonetheless.

Yeah, I've had a bunch of people mention A Song of Ice and Fire to me since joining this forum.  I'll give it a go.  And yes, I am a huge Rangers fan. Yes, I am quite ready for baseball season.  The Rangers were much improved last year and should continue to improve these next couple of wins.  I think they won 87 last year and should be able to add to that total this year.

Shinerfan, my oldest brother actually played Graford in the playoffs in basketball back in... I believe it was 1989.  So yeah, I'm definitely familiar with that little town. As for the Saints vs the 'Boys, it'll be one heck of a battle.  I fully expect the Saints to win, but I also expect it to be an exciting game.  But yeah, a loss is a loss in the end no matter how enjoyable the game might be.

Corki, thank you for the info about the forum.  I'll definitely have to check it out.  I must say that I don't really follow Euro football, but I'll check the forum out nonetheless.

It's the one I linked you to.  Don't worry, their are plenty of right-thinking baseball and football (real football, not that soccer thing) fans there  ;D

The Rangers definitely improved - and Holland and Feliz look like they'll be the real deal.  But if they're even considering trading Max Ramirez for Mike Lowell . . . then they haven't really learned, and you're in for a long season

Fortunately, I think Lowell's having some issues with his thumb that could nullify the deal.  The Rangers want a veteran presence in the clubhouse.. but heck, they've already got Michael Young.  I suppose it's nice to have more than one though.

Archived