DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

ASOIAF(And All Fantasy)...Deaths That Pe-Zissed You Off The Most/ Broke Ur Heart

The Fisher King

*Obviously, just as a quick warning, when talking about Character's Death's, you have to read at your own risk*

Here be some my thoughts and I wonder about yours:

1 Someone here in another Thread said that when they got to the part where The Red Viper is killed they almost threw their book across the room...Let me count the ways I concur lol. Gosh that Pe-Zissed me off. Alot.

2 Oy, in The Dark Tower ... King might as well have just run over my heart with a train...its okay....he'll get his...anyone that could kill Oy has a special spot in the Hot Place waiting for him...and he'll cook there for it...Ohhhh, he'll cook, lol.

3 Eddard...what can we say? The Epitome of Sadness ... The kind of man many of us would want as a brother, friend, father, mentor...and he gets his dome lopped off by a psycho brat. Where's the Justice in THAT?

4 Robb Stark and Catelyn Tully. (She was never a True Stark.) ... I really didn't care either way about Robb...and I HATED Cat as deeply as I have ever loathed a character in a book... BUT ... The Sheer STONES shown by Martin combined with the Shocking Horror of the Red Wedding was just too Awesome to not be ingrained on my brain, such as it it.

5 Fred Weasley...Another one that made me want to severely beat someone lol...ahhh, the lad was joking to the end...(Tonks hurt too).

6 Duke Borric in Riftwar hurt too...such a good man.

7 Renly Barethon....I don't know if this one made me sad or mad, actually, but, I gotta admit, I didn't see it coming...

8 Mangin in WOT...Just one odd bird..i think his acceptance broke my heart...any cat that can cheerfully ask you what time you'd like him to walk to his own hanging....

9 Liah...This one hurt mostly because I knew what it would do to Rand.

10 Nalasean in WOT...I wasn't that affectionate towards him, to tell you the truth, but...the sheer brutal simplicity of his death, what with the Gholam casually ripping his throat out, was a bit shocking and horrifying.

Well, there you have my Top Ten List!!!

Oh. Bonus: I thiiink I was sorta Pi$$ed when Tywin Lannister was killed...He may have been a Cold Bastardo, but, I think a case can be made that at that point in the series he was the only character that actually knew what he was doing.

Fish

*Obviously, just as a quick warning, when talking about Character's Death's, you have to read at your own risk*

Here be some my thoughts and I wonder about yours:

1 Someone here in another Thread said that when they got to the part where The Red Viper is killed they almost threw their book across the room...Let me count the ways I concur lol. Gosh that Pe-Zissed me off. Alot.

Here I am again. Prince Oberyn became my favorite character almost as soon as he appeared and then he doesn't even make it through half a book. Such a great character. The Sand Snakes are cool as well.

2 Oy, in The Dark Tower ... King might as well have just run over my heart with a train...its okay....he'll get his...anyone that could kill Oy has a special spot in the Hot Place waiting for him...and he'll cook there for it...Ohhhh, he'll cook, lol.

Haven't read it.

3 Eddard...what can we say? The Epitome of Sadness ... The kind of man many of us would want as a brother, friend, father, mentor...and he gets his dome lopped off by a psycho brat. Where's the Justice in THAT?

Yeah, I was expecting him to be sent to the wall. But the scene in the cell shortly before the execution when he dreams of the Tower of Joy and then asks Varys if he'll help him send a letter (to John? but apparently he never writes or sends it) was maybe the most important clue to the central mystery. I hated it for Ned but it was central to the story.

4 Robb Stark and Catelyn Tully. (She was never a True Stark.) ... I really didn't care either way about Robb...and I HATED Cat as deeply as I have ever loathed a character in a book... BUT ... The Sheer STONES shown by Martin combined with the Shocking Horror of the Red Wedding was just too Awesome to not be ingrained on my brain, such as it it.

Robb and Grey Wind were two of my other favorites. I felt about the same as you about Cat. The Red Wedding is where you really say , wow, this series is different.

". . .and Grey Wind began to howl. . ." -from the ambush at the Whispering Wood, probably my favorite moment in the series

5 Fred Weasley...Another one that made me want to severely beat someone lol...ahhh, the lad was joking to the end...(Tonks hurt too).

Again, haven't read it.

6 Duke Borric in Riftwar hurt too...such a good man.

HRI, this is becoming a theme.

7 Renly Barethon....I don't know if this one made me sad or mad, actually, but, I gotta admit, I didn't see it coming...

I was somewhat indifferent about this one. I loved the scene where Cat and Ser Randall go at it but that was maybe the only moment when I liked Cat.

8 Mangin in WOT...Just one odd bird..i think his acceptance broke my heart...any cat that can cheerfully ask you what time you'd like him to walk to his own hanging....

This showed a lot about the character of the Aiel, as well as showing the changes Rand was undergoing.

9 Liah...This one hurt mostly because I knew what it would do to Rand.

I guess the use of balefire was a little chilling.

10 Nalasean in WOT...I wasn't that affectionate towards him, to tell you the truth, but...the sheer brutal simplicity of his death, what with the Gholam casually ripping his throat out, was a bit shocking and horrifying.

Umm. . . indifferent again.

Well, there you have my Top Ten List!!!

Oh. Bonus: I thiiink I was sorta Pi$$ed when Tywin Lannister was killed...He may have been a Cold Bastardo, but, I think a case can be made that at that point in the series he was the only character that actually knew what he was doing.

Throughout the series its mentioned that no one is more cursed and despised by both Gods and men than the kinslayer. Tyrion's hair is silver rather than the typical Lannister gold. Does he have one purple eye? I can't remember. In other words, I don't think Tyrion is really a kinslayer. But most people on the ASoIaF boards seem to dismiss the idea of a short Targ.

Fish

Thanks for the feedback shinerfan...ok...you said:

Throughout the series its mentioned that no one is more cursed and despised by both Gods and men than the kinslayer. Tyrion's hair is silver rather than the typical Lannister gold. Does he have one purple eye? I can't remember. In other words, I don't think Tyrion is really a kinslayer. But most people on the ASoIaF boards seem to dismiss the idea of a short Targ.

Ok. Well...obviously Tyrion did indeed pop out of Tywin's wife, so, unless she had an affair with a Targ, The Imp was definitely All-Lannister. He and Jamie...what a Pair of Brothers lol!!! The Kingslayer and The Kinslayer Ha Ha!!!

Youre right about Mangin...a definite ''Rite of Passage'' moment for Rand.

One of the best parts/lines ever was when someone (The First of Mayne, I think?) was all incredulous and was like ''Do you mean to tell me that he really does plan on walking to his own hanging??!''

LOL - Great.

Oh. And I know everyone's tastes are different, but, for what its worth, if you enjoy WOT and ASOIAF...I really recommend Harry Potter, Riftwar Saga and DEFINITELY King's ''Dark Tower.

JMO

Fish

But when Tywin stepped down as hand the first time he had had some sort of serious falling out with King Aerys where no one really knows what happened. Add the scene at the beginning of Storm of Swords where Tywin is so adamant that Tyrion will never inherit the Rock and well, I think Aerys raped Joanna. (I think her name was Joanna.)

Some fair points...We know that King Aerys certainly hated Tywin...I would not put it past him to have raped Joanna..

I think Tywin was so adamant about Tyrion never inheriting Casterly Rock simply based on prejudice.

For all Tywin's better qualities, and superior intellect, a case, I think, CAN be made that he was a bit shallow and superficial.

He hated Tyrion simply because of how Tyrion looked and his physical deformities.

He saw tall, strong, blonde Jamie as the REAL Definition of what a 'True' Lannister should look like and that is, imo, why he was so set on Jamie inheriting.

Plus, even if Jamie HAD dies, leaving The Imp next inline to inherit, there is NO WAY Tywin could have stood the thought of the ridicule and mockery that would have come at someone looking like Tyrion sitting in the High Seat at Casterly Rock.

Tywin would have died first...

And well...come to think on it...I guess he did lol...

Fish

Oh yeah, I forgot my strongest argument on Tyrion being a Targ. One of the prophecies seems to say that the dragon has three heads. Rhaegar mentions this in Dany's vision in the House of the Undying and Master Aemon mentions it again as he is dying. Now Dany just happens to have three dragons but I read this more as a reference to dragonriders. Who are gonna ride these dragons? Obviously Dany will ride one, (Drogon the big black, I would assume). Jon Snow not only seems to be Rhaeghar's son by Lyanna but he's also the central character in the story  (the song of ice and fire is named for him). He'll ride Rhaeghal the dragon that is named for Rhaeghar. So who's the third dragon rider? Some unknown soldier we haven't been introduced to yet? I think there has to be a third Targ and Tyrion's the best bet. I think there's also foreshadowing about how this will be discovered. Remember when Dany takes the dragon eggs into Khal Drogo's funeral pyre and she's unharmed because of her Targ blood? She's gonna capture Tyrion and sentence him to death by dragonfire and when he isn't harmed she'll know he's a Targaryen. Or maybe Ser Barristan just knew all along but I like Tyrion being condemned and surviving again.

(Its sorta off-topic, sorry about hijacking your thread Fisher.)

Shinerfan...I just read your thoughts on The Prophecies and I have to say there surely is alot there to recommend the theory.

Of course, yeah, it seems like the only way it could be true though is if Aerys did indeed rape Joanna...

I can't see any way in the world that, if it happened, Tywin knew about it.

Fish

Firstly, why the Cat Stark hate? What did she ever do to you?

Secondly, been a while, but I do seem to recall GRRM saying that not all the Dragon heads needed to be Targs. I'm not going to go look for it though.

Thirdly, ASoIaF is not named for Jon Snow. It might be named for the song of Ice and Fire though. I do see that as a bit of a possibility. No reason why it should be Jon.

And a great death in fantasy: Wesley Wyndham-Price in the last episode of Angel. You never said it had to be books, did you? Incredible, watching his character arc over the five seasons, and his being left a broken shell by Fred's death, then in the last episode confiding to Illyria that he won't get a happy anding, and that there is nothing left that he wants. Captain Vidal's death in Pan's Labyrinth was very satisfying. Murillio in Toll the Hounds. In fact, Erikson has a lot of good deaths: Cutter's revenge for Murillio; Coltaine, Duiker and the Chain of Dogs; Lorn; Trull Sengar; and many more. Silmarillion has some good deaths. Kelsier in The Final Empire, Dox and Clubs in Well of Ascension (not read Hero of Ages yet). Eric in Guns of Avalon - despite his actions in the first book, he still manages a sympathetic death, as he dies fighting for Amber. GRRM does not have a monopoly on killing characters.

Re: Song of Ice and Fire, Mr. Ares you should read this article. Make sure you click the current scope down to "A Feast of Crows". Jon is "the prince that was promised, and his is the song of ice and fire." --- not Aegon. Also, if you consider that the Song is a metaphor for the combination of Ice (Stark) and Fire (Targaryen) it may also work as a parallel for the future marriage/joining of Dany and Jon. Dany has to marry someone of Targaryen blood, and the only person with any such claim is Jon.

If you refuse to believe after, I simply don't care. Just realize that you are in the vast minority.

http://www.towerofthehand.com/essays/chrisholden/jon_snows_parents.html

http://www.towerofthehand.com/books/102/049.html

http://www.towerofthehand.com/blog/2007/06/15_a_paternity_test/index.html

As for Cat, what has she done to you for you to support her?

Actually, last I checked Dany was the more popular choice for the Prince That Was Promised, given that she is actually named as such. And has fulfilled some of the prophecies. Jon hasn't. He might be the child of Rhaegar and Lyanna, but that's beside the point. And if Dany is the PTWP, then hers is the song of ice and fire. We have no reason to believe that the song refers to a union between Stark and Targaryen. After all, we have Others (Ice) and Dragons (Fire). One wonders why Rhaegar would think Aegon, the child of Targaryen and Martell, was the PTWP if it was a matter of Stark marrying Targ. You are in the minority, Dany is the popular choice, and the one with the most evidence backing her claim. This is the Towerofthehand article you should have linked to, the one that is actually about the PTWP/AAR. Also, you might just have missed it, but Jon joined the Night's Watch. He swore to take no wife. That sort of makes marrying anyone a little difficult. As for Cat, she's a great character. Loyal, brave, caring, about her family and others. Family. Duty. Honour. Words she stands by.

• 2 months later...

Archived