DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Other Boards

Angel of Death

There are two other forums on which I post and I bet u won't know them ;)

It's www.schlacht-um-mitteler.de. That's a site about the computer game Battle for Middle Earth. A good site with a nice community, but unfortunately no serious discussions about books or other themes, except gaming. I would invite you - but who of you speaks german...

The second ist www.motw-clan.de which is the site of my clan and for this, rather uninteressting to you ^^

Never mind, this site is great as well and different from those which I've discovered yet. Even if I am new here. I have to get behind this ORG-stuff, cause it sounds like it would be great fun.

Adam

Wotmania.com, and Theoryland.net are the second and third largest WoT discussion sites. TarValon.net is purely a community. Silklantern.com is a roleplay. All of them are pretty sizable.

Not to belittle Dragonmount, which is great, but I believe Wotmania has more than twice as many users as DM (10,000 to 4,000).

Westeros] is the primary George RR Martin forum which has just nipped past DM in size as well (just passed 4,500 and growing at an impressive rate, doubling in size in just the last six months). DM could pull it back when AMoL is released, but there are also three new GRRM books coming out before that so it could be close.

Malazanempire is a good community for discussion of Steven Erikson's Malazan novels.

The SFX Forum is really good for general SF and Fantasy discussion about TV, Books or Movies, particularly if you are in the UK.

I'm going by Alexa ratings. According to Alexa we have three times Wotmania's traffic. *shrugs*

According to Dragonmount's own statistics: 4,087 registered users.

According to Larry, one of the admins at Wotmania, they have over 40,000 registered accounts. However, for some bizarre reason lots of people on Wotmania have alts. The number of unique ISPs registered to the site is apparently a smidgen under 10,000.

One edge Dragonmount does have over Wotmania is a sane forum system. The forum system on Wotmania makes me want to scream in frustration at is severe antiquatedness (is that a word? Is now :) ). OTOH, I think Dragonmount could perhaps benefit from an 'Other Authors' section like other author-oriented sites (well, apart from Goodkind ones). Throwing everything non-WoT related into 'General Chatter' gives it a bit of an 'everyhing-and-the-kitchen sink' feel. Interesting, but possibly unfocused?

Not trying to start an argument or anything here. After all, the stronger both sites are, the better for Robert Jordan fans everywhere (most of whom I guess visit both sites anyway).

One of the reasons Wotmania has more registered members is that they've never had to take their forums down and force everyone to re-register. Every time you do that, you lose a third to a half of your numbers. The hard core users come back, but the dilletent and those who signed up and forgot about it usually don't. So you have to start all over again building up your numbers. We've had to do this about five or sixs times for switching to different message board formats.

And yes, Wotmania's forum system drives me bonkers. It actually artificially inflates the number of page views at that site, since you have to view each post as its own page.

But I think the only real way to settle this is with a Google Fight.

dragonmount:

139,000 results

wotmania:

74,400 results

http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=dragonmount&word2=wotmania

And yes' date=' Wotmania's forum system drives me bonkers. It actually artificially inflates the number of page views at that site, since you have to view each post as its own page.

But I think the only real way to settle this is with a Google Fight.

dragonmount:

139,000 results

wotmania:

74,400 results

[/quote']

The problem with Googlefight is that it follows the same rules as Google itself, looking for the constituents of the words as well as the word itself. And the words 'Dragon' and 'Mount' are far more commonly encountered on the net than 'Wot' (which is not a word) or 'Mania' (which technically isn't really one either). So I'm not surprised by this result.

Good point about the reformatting. However, I don't think it entirely holds water. Over on Westeros we've changed formats, servers and host services I believe five times now. Each time the board went back up, membership rapidly overtook where it had been before. Given Wheel of Time's popularity is as strong as ever and that Dragonmount is mentioned frequently in publicity for the books, I'm honestly surprised membership is not higher.

Quit seeing through my eloborate set of lies!

But on nearly every site I've seen. you lose members when you force a re-registration. It takes time to build it back up again.

Ah, the problem may have been that Dragonmount shut down for quite a long time (over a month, wasn't it?). People being fickle, probably a few wandered off to other Wotsites and haven't returned yet.

A way around that might be to divorce the forum and website, so that if the site goes down the forum doesn't and vice versa (Wotmania exactly has the same problem). That worked for Westeros as when the old forum shut down, the website remained up and was able to relay people to the new site within about 48 hours. Building up to pre-shutdown numbers took about a fornight IIRC and then, rather surprisingly, took off after that.

Thats something we've considered doing. However, we're currently being hosted out of the closet in Jason's spare bedroom, so I don't think we can afford it.

Jason's closet is the best hosting provider we've ever had.

I post on a couple of Doctor Who sites.

Outpost Gallifrey (http://www.gallifreyone.com/) is the largest DW site on the interweb. I think it gets more traffic than the official site. Their forum has almost 17,000 members with 200-500 online at any point in the day (which is even more incredible considering that the site is completely locked to guests, and to be a member you have to have an ISP email address - no Yahoo addresses etc. accepted). The site is hosted by Nexcess and the forum uses VBulletin software. The website itself has regular news updates for both the new series and the old series, episode guides, forthcoming release news, and just about anything else DW related you can think of. Very nice site.

My main home for DW though, is a much smaller more personal site called Planet Skaro, currently on EZBoard, but that site will be closing down soon as we move over to VBulletin as well. I've been there for 4 years now, and since the membership doesn't have much turnover at all, it really is like a small community that knows each other intimately. They have meets regularly, but it's almost totally a UK site, so I've never been to one.

I have been warned off Outpost Gallifrey as the debates get very, very heated over there (lots of Old Who vs. New Who flame wars, apparently). I instead use the SFX board for Doctor Who discussions, which have the advantage of also discussing other SF shows, books, movies etc.

I also visit the Chronicles Forum, the SFF World Forum and a couple of RPG and computer games forums.

I have been warned off Outpost Gallifrey as the debates get very' date=' very heated over there (lots of Old Who vs. New Who flame wars, apparently). I instead use the SFX board for Doctor Who discussions, which have the advantage of also discussing other SF shows, books, movies etc.

I also visit the Chronicles Forum, the SFF World Forum and a couple of RPG and computer games forums.[/quote']

There's lots of geeky fanboys squirting fan wee all over the place there. :lol: But that's really a minority who are outrageus and absurd giving the majority a bad name. On PS we have an "OG Absurdity Watch" forum where we point out the craziest posts from OG. It's very entertaining in an eyerolling sort of way. I actually stick to the sports forum and video games forum and save my DW discussions for Planet Skaro, where there are sensible people. (i.e. rather than just generalise something by saying "it sucks", you are expected to give reasons. Insulting others because you don't agree with their opinions is unaccaptable.)

I'm going by Alexa ratings. According to Alexa we have three times Wotmania's traffic. *shrugs*

According to Dragonmount's own statistics: 4' date='087 registered users.

According to Larry, one of the admins at Wotmania, they have over 40,000 registered accounts. However, for some bizarre reason lots of people on Wotmania have alts. The number of unique ISPs registered to the site is apparently a smidgen under 10,000.

One edge Dragonmount does have over Wotmania is a sane forum system. The forum system on Wotmania makes me want to scream in frustration at is severe antiquatedness (is that a word? Is now :) ). OTOH, I think Dragonmount could perhaps benefit from an 'Other Authors' section like other author-oriented sites (well, apart from Goodkind ones). Throwing everything non-WoT related into 'General Chatter' gives it a bit of an 'everyhing-and-the-kitchen sink' feel. Interesting, but possibly unfocused?

Not trying to start an argument or anything here. After all, the stronger both sites are, the better for Robert Jordan fans everywhere (most of whom I guess visit both sites anyway).[/quote']

Interesting how I browse through this and see my name mentioned here ;) As I did say, one way is to go by active membership, which is very tricky to determine. Another method would be average posts combined per day, acknowledging the difference between BBS and wotmania's Threaded format. All I know is that we average around 1300 new posts/threads/comments a day and that those are viewed (for the new day alone, not for the older threads) about 12,000 times. I would say board activity would be a better gauge than Alexia (which is selective in the ranking of certain pages, if I recall). The old Nedstat thing was actually the same in that it appeared on each page loaded. Besides, I seem to recall Jason saying to Mike once (or was it in one of his rare posts at wotmania) that it might be that wotmania has overtaken DM in total hits. I could care less.

But back to the main topic here:

I very rarely visit this site, since I work at wotmania and my duties are for Other "Fantasy". But I do visit regularly these sites:

Westeros (Martin)

Malazan Empire (Erikson)

Three-Seas (Bakker)

Goodkind is Our God (;))

SFF World

The Official Neil Gaiman MB (or rather, it's World's End part :P)

Dead Cities/Frameshift

And then a lot of author blogs for news items. About a dozen of those.

Archived