DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Galad's last name

jwillis7

They do have the same pop. I guess it's because Gawyn and Elayne are daughter heir and prince of Andor so they gotta take up the royal name. Galad isn't so takes his father's name

but when galad was born his mom was daughter heir and i bet they would have tried for a daughter which would make galad what gawyn is now to her.  So... i don't know and they 100% sure have the same dad they do not have the same mom, Rand and Galad have the same mom

It is because he is not the son of Morgase. Tigraine is his mother.

As he is not of Morgase's blood (Andor has a very matriarchal society), he is not in the succession (as Prince of the Sword or Head of House Trakand) like Gawyn is.

By right, he should be Galad Mantear as that was his mother's name. However, the fact that his mother died in his infancy might have to do with him taking his father's House name.

One of the "terms" for Morgase and Taringail's nuptials was that he married into the house of Trakand.  Tigraine made no such agreement.  We learn this when Dobraine is grumbling about Elayne not being a Damodred, which would make it easier for the people to accept her on the Sun Throne.

I don't know if this helps...but...in LOC, at the end, in the chapter titled ''The Feast About The Lights'' ... there is a fairly interesting discussion about this told from Dobraine's POV.

It doesn't exactly touch on Galad, but its cool and enlightening about that time of Royal Politics in Andor when Morgase (Galad's Mom) was coming up.

Fish

Archived