DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Re-reading all books..

musiclover7

I am 3/4 of the way done with the 3rd book, re-reading all the books before jumping into the new..

Just posting because it is miffing me the way all the 2 rivers folk are down on Morraine.  She saves their lives so many times, and they all want to be as far from her as possible.  I just finished the part where Morraine burned away 11 dark hounds with Bale Fire on their way out of Illian.  Perrin mutters -'Burn you Morraine.. will get some answers yet.'  It is annoying how all these folk can be so upset with her, when she continues to save their skins.  Anyone else recall being this miffed with them.  Had it been me, I would have been grateful.  Not to mention Nynaeve.  She apparently wants to get back at Morraine for saving their lives..  I love these books, but I think it is a bit extreme sometimes, how these characters are toward Morraine... 

Yea totally . They are just scared of her Aes Sedai-ness; they didnt know if she was a good guy or bad, to be trusted or shunned ...you know? . Fear of the unknown is a basic instinct especially towards Aes Sedai in Jordan's world.... Now Nynaeve, i just don't get her not liking Moiraine at all. Except for Lan. Moirane's dragging the crew out of the Two Rivers is understandable given the circumstances , the trolloc attacks, ta'veren, dark lord, etc. I personally like Moiraine a lot as a character. Because she's the first we meet in the novels and she's such a powerful fighter she is kind of the prototypical Aes Sedai archetype for several books.

Yeah.. it is just annoying..  Morraine is the only thing standing between them and certain death for most of the first few books, and yet they can't stand her for it..  It would be understandable, if she did something to hurt them at all in the first 3 books, or did anything other than her level best to lead them and the world to safety..  I mean, one would think their immature childhood understandings would pass quickly into healthy appreciation given the risks at every turn, the healing she bestows.  Just stupid..  One of those things you have to get past as you read these books.  Thinking back, my elder brother quit reading around the 3rd book some years ago, and I believe it was due to this one factor, not to mention Nynaeve..

One would think, after she discovered that Rand was in fact.. THE DRAGON REBORN... Nynaeve would have relaxed a touch, gotten off of Morraine's grill a little..  Here I am, in the 3rd book, and it seems the one reason Nynaeve wants to learn to channel properly, is so she can go and murder Morraine for all 'she did to them..'  give me a break..  No one is this stupid..

So a woman who (you have been warned) never does anything without a price takes you away from your nice, happy life, bosses you around, and never bloody explains anything if she can get away with it, and you're supposed to show nothing but undying gratitude? You've not many humans, have you?

It's spelled Moiraine - I guess you're listening to the books or else you wouldn't make that apparent mistake several times. Sry it's just annoying me.

Yeah as Mr Ares pointed out, it does make some sense considering her being probably the most irascible character of the bunch. She feels responsible for them as the wisdom, but there is nothing she can do.. But like, you'd think she'd be more understanding, like when it's clear Rand is actually the Dragon Reborn, that Moiraine simply did what she could to help. If anything Nynaeve didn't have to put herself or Egwene into that situation, while the ta'veren simply had to go, or else put them all at risk. She is rather stubborn in her ways; you'd think she would show more wisdom for being the Wisdom. She's got other issues that make her a also neutotic character more than that, like that dreaded block... But she is very creative with her use of the power.

If somebody just can't stand the chars in a book it makes sense not to read it so it makes sense about your brother. I think she does get more likeable later on. She's just the sour grape of the bunch, really. I felt that Rand and Moiraine got relatively close later on in the story, even though he was at first like Nynaeve.

Talk to you later.  

So a woman who (you have been warned) never does anything without a price takes you away from your nice, happy life, bosses you around, and never bloody explains anything if she can get away with it, and you're supposed to show nothing but undying gratitude? You've not many humans, have you?

hmm.. you are right..  I suppose she should have just left them be to die at the hands of the Trollocs.  I do not find her bossing too much, I hear her explain things generally when she is asked. Most of the advice she gives is sensible, and if I were facing what those folk were facing, I would welcome any advice that made sense..  Yes, she has her secrets, but they all do..  She and Lan are the two best characters in the first book, though the rest do grow on you as the books progress..

Yes.. am listening to the books this time around.  Never have any time to read the old fashioned way any more, but audio books are my constant companion.  I like most music, except for maybe commercial country, heavy metal, and bad rap.  I used to make my living as musician in simpler times... play the guitar/banjo/piano/bass..

I was a jazz major in college, but now I work on computers..  I have a huge love of Reggae and dub style, but more lean toward the rock-steady feel I am told, rather than traditional "Reggae".  I played guitar for a while in a traditional Reggae band out of Telluride, CO, and they told my my preference was more for "Rock Steady" rather than "Reggae", which was pretty strict around just the skank.  I really enjoy adding a hip banjo roll against dub rhythm.. sounds good..

Here are some links to some of my stuff...  I am the guitar/singer/songwriter on the tunes there..

http://www.myspace.com/scootgaloot

http://www.myspace.com/joelfutch

I was a music major but they told me I'd have to practice 4 hours a day to be a jazz major, so my parents kind of discouraged me.. I sometimes wish I had stuck with it, but I'm happy with the major I'm doing now: medieval studies.

Anyway, I listened to some of your songs. It sounds good. Your style is real funky and groovy!

I never really understood the difference between all the genres. I guess I just like reggae-influenced music myself actually, not traditional reggae.

You have to think of it like the Emond's Fielders would.  She does take them from home by telling them how dangerous the Two Rivers would be if they stayed there. Yet when they want to return home, she basically says that she will kill them all if they run off so there's no chance the dark one will get them. After that, They do ask her questions about stuff but she still gives half answers or none at all.  She manipulates and eavesdrops on them, why would they not show her the rough side of their tongues? Plus, the culture they grew up on and advice from everyone they know is not to trust Aes Sedai because they are bad for your health.  They all know that saving their lives was necessity on her part not out of any feeling of friendship or goodwill to them.

All in all, she withholds information they want/need, threatens to kill them, won't let them out of her sight, and manipulates them all.

Yea, if it were me, I'd try to get clear of her as soon as I could, take my own chances out in the world.

How can you like someone or trust someone when your life is in danger and they barely answer a question and use you like a tool--regardless of the fact she kills a few bad guys that are trying to kill you AND HER.

That's just like another way of saying they must not give into evil. I guess Ba'alzamon did try to get Rand to join him. In that situation, killing him would be a lesser of two evils.

I agree that it makes sense they sort of hated her for a time, but I guess I feel like defending Moiraine...and I don't think she ever actually would intentionally hurt them, unless there was of course absolutely no other choice.

It's like how, once Anakin Skywalker went over to the Sith, Obi Wan Kenobi tried to kill him... He would never have hurt Anakin before he went over to the Dark Side.

Hmmmm... re-reading all books... topic is good but as per me i can't read all the books again which i read till now.... some of the books i read but i have one name which is good for me to read again and again.... Don't Lose Your Mind, Lose Your Weight book is the best as per me.... i already gave this to some of my friends and they also like it.... Good tips of health and mind... After all Sound Mind Lives in Sound Body....

P-M-B-9788184000665.jpg

I think I recall Moiraine saying something to them like..  'The Shadow is after you for whatever reason.  Above all, I oppose the Shadow, and that means standing in the way of what the Shadow wants.  I will kill you myself, before I let the Shadow have you...'  The main thing I was trying to voice here, is that it just seems a bit over the top.  The Two Rivers folk all treat Moiraine like she is to blame for their trubs, Nynaeve in particular, even though she saves their lives tons of times, heals them when they are hurt.. sheesh, they even resent her for healing them at times..  It just seems a bit over the top.  I can imagine some resentment, as she does hide things, and do her best to set their path, but she generally speaks sense..  just a bit over the top at times..

Archived