DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What was the DO so happy with demandred for doing at the end of LOC?

ka243

We do not know what he was talking about but this leads me to believe that Demandred is somehow associated with Taim and The Black Tower as the establishment of The Black Tower was a major plot point in LOC.  A reread of LOC might shed some light on this.   Some speculate that Demandred is behind The Prophet's actions which would be a good possibility if he was introduced as The Prophet in LOC but I'm pretty sure that happened in TFoH (I can't remember in which book The Prophet was introduced).

We aren't even sure if the DO was happy with Demandred.  I always interpreted it that way but there are some who argue that the DO's reaction to Demandred's question was mocking laughter as opposed to approval.

Some speculate that Demandred is behind The Prophet's actions which would be a good possibility if he was introduced as The Prophet in LOC but I'm pretty sure that happened in TFoH (I can't remember in which book The Prophet was introduced).

The Prophet is Masema.  Masema was introduced in Great Hunt.  He has used the name/title Prophet since sometime after arriving at Ghealdan, both these events were off-screen; arriving at Ghealdan occurred during time-frame of Dragon Reborn, naming himself the Prophet was during time-frame of Shadow Rising.  First encounter with anyone as the Prophet, that was in Fires of Heaven (Chapter 39).

Demandred is not Masema, nor anyone else seen (or perhaps even mentioned) in the time frame of Eye of World through Crossroads of Twilight.

Some speculate that Demandred is behind The Prophet's actions which would be a good possibility if he was introduced as The Prophet in LOC but I'm pretty sure that happened in TFoH (I can't remember in which book The Prophet was introduced).

The Prophet is Masema.  Masema was introduced in Great Hunt.  He has used the name/title Prophet since sometime after arriving at Ghealdan, both these events were off-screen; arriving at Ghealdan occurred during time-frame of Dragon Reborn, naming himself the Prophet was during time-frame of Shadow Rising.  First encounter with anyone as the Prophet, that was in Fires of Heaven (Chapter 39).

Demandred is not Masema, nor anyone else seen (or perhaps even mentioned) in the time frame of Eye of World through Crossroads of Twilight.

I think you may have misread his post. He was referring to Demandred's actions that the Dark One might be proud as possibly influencing the Prophet, but could not remember if the Prophet's introduction came in LOC or before...

I tend to suspect it has to do with the Black Tower, or something as yet unrevealed.

Right, I understand that Masema is The Prophet and that Masema was introduced in TGH.  I was just trying to remember when he first appeared as The Prophet.  And nobody thinks that Demandred is The Prophet some just speculate that Demandred may be associated with The Prophet.  I can't say  on this board why they believe this as it has to do with events in TGS.

Steven's timeline identifies Demandred's first visit to Shayol Ghul as the 548th day of the series.

It does not date the second visit, though very likely it was sometime after the events of the main chapters of Lord of Chaos; maybe after the other epilogue events.

Demandred's question and the Dark One's response, both might relate to more than one event.

Rand's kidnapping might be one.  The events Sammael speculates about during Lord of Chaos through Crown of Swords; those might be others.

Wow, we're pretty clueless on this front I guess.  I wish someone could have asked this question during a book tour.  It's probably unlikely to be revealed in a future book as this event happened so long ago but I'm really curioius what it was.  What was he talking about darnit! :)

I read leigh's reread on this part and it got me curious.  I assumed it was something that was revealed and I just forgot about so thought I'd ask the question here.

The black tower basicly saved rand from elaida's goonies, so that was a good thing for rand.  I doubt demandred organized the kidnapping in the first place.  

Actually, RJ did answer this at a fairly unknown Q&A. This is one of the greatest misinterpretations the fanbase as a collective has done, by thinking that Demandred had done something wicked awesome and evil.

What he actually had done was simply to get the DO a beer.

Really :)

Actually, RJ did answer this at a fairly unknown Q&A. This is one of the greatest misinterpretations the fanbase as a collective has done, by thinking that Demandred had done something wicked awesome and evil.

What he actually had done was simply to get the DO a beer.

Really :)

"Have I not done well, Great Lord?"

"IT'S... WARM. DEMANDRED, YOU HAVE FAILED ME FOR THE LAST TIME."

*DO crushes Demandred to ashes*

"SHAIDAR HARAN, FETCH ME A COLD BEER. AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH THAT, RESURRECT THIS IDIOT AND TEACH HIM A LESSON. POLITELY."

I always associated it with the Black Tower (but the beer trick is brilliant).

Since the darkfriends wanted to release Taim in TSR, I always speculated that Taim was either darkfriend, turned to the shadow, or forsaken in hiding.  Sure, they say their reasoning was just to get another male channeler out there doing bad things, but he couldn't be too faithful to the Light if he did it willingly, right?

So, if we assume that Taim is "Dark", then I assumed that the whole mess with Demandred in the same book of the whole mess with the Black Tower kind of went together.  And since Taim is deep in the Black Tower, it kind of went together.

It just solidified Taim, in my mind anyway, as someone very "dark".  Either he is Demandred in hiding, or he is one of Demandred's puppets.

Since the darkfriends wanted to release Taim in TSR, I always speculated that Taim was either darkfriend, turned to the shadow, or forsaken in hiding.

Taim is definitely not any of the 13 since none of the male ones fit with him.

Archived