DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Mesaana (Full Spoilers)

Luckers

Noticed an interesting tidbit on Mesaana, might be brought up earlier. I still think she is Shevan, however this is of relevance to those who think she might not pose as a Sister. In the Prologue to aCoS, talking to Alviarin, Mesaana referred to Rand with "young al'Thor." Now, everyone knows this is the standard Aes Sedai way to speak of him. One can suspect, that Mesaana has been discussing Rand with Aes Sedai in situations where it is necessary to learn the standard terms.

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Siuan never felt the shield be woven and never saw the glow of saidar around any of the women until Elaida embraces the Source – after Siuan was already shielded! This means that the shield was inverted, which modern Aes Sedai do not know is even possible. Therefore Mesaana must have done it, so she must be one of the sisters in the group that comes to capture Siuan. The only sister in the list of those that come to capture Siuan that matches Mesaana’s blue eyes and who cannot be ruled out by other means (being Black Ajah, being out of the Tower later, or having the story told from their Point of View at some point in the series) is Danelle.

We know Siuan was one of the more powerful tower channelers of the time. Has it been considered, given the description of the shield and the lack of even a struggle to keep it in place, that the person placing it was significantly more powerful than Siuan almost requiring Mesaana to be in that group as further evidence it was Danelle?

Well, I didn't bring it up that way because theoretically they could have shielded her that effectively if they were linked. But we know this isn't the case because like I said, the weave must have been inverted, which at that point in the story no one, not even Egwene/Nynaeve/Elayne, knows is even possible (remember, Siuan's deposed in tSR, and the girls don't learn inverting weaves from Moghedien until LoC) - except for someone from the Age of Legends - so it had to be Mesaana even without strength evidence (though it is true that the strength of the shield also indicates it was Mesaana) :)

Siuan never felt the shield be woven and never saw the glow of saidar around any of the women until Elaida embraces the Source – after Siuan was already shielded! This means that the shield was inverted, which modern Aes Sedai do not know is even possible. Therefore Mesaana must have done it, so she must be one of the sisters in the group that comes to capture Siuan. The only sister in the list of those that come to capture Siuan that matches Mesaana’s blue eyes and who cannot be ruled out by other means (being Black Ajah, being out of the Tower later, or having the story told from their Point of View at some point in the series) is Danelle.

We know Siuan was one of the more powerful tower channelers of the time. Has it been considered, given the description of the shield and the lack of even a struggle to keep it in place, that the person placing it was significantly more powerful than Siuan almost requiring Mesaana to be in that group as further evidence it was Danelle?

Well, I didn't bring it up that way because theoretically they could have shielded her that effectively if they were linked. But we know this isn't the case because like I said, the weave must have been inverted, which at that point in the story no one, not even Egwene/Nynaeve/Elayne, knows is even possible (remember, Siuan's deposed in tSR, and the girls don't learn inverting weaves from Moghedien until LoC) - except for someone from the Age of Legends - so it had to be Mesaana even without strength evidence (though it is true that the strength of the shield also indicates it was Mesaana) :)

I don't think this is likely, but I'm gunna throw it out there just for fun.

The quote from the book goes something like . . . Siuan reached for the Source and was shocked to find that she was shielded.  As if to mock her, the glow of the power sprung up around Elaida . . . or something generally to that effect.

What if Elaida really was mocking her?  Elaida is certainly strong enough to shield her by herself as long as Siuan wasn't already holding the Source.  What if Elaida had shielded her?  What if inverting weaves and hiding when you're touching the Source are some of the Red Ajah's secret weaves?

Probably not, but I have always been very curious about all the Ajah's secret weaves.

Archived