DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Three Oaths and damane

dirkimus

I was wondering what people's thoughts were on this.

If Aes Sedai are bound by that three oaths not to use the One Power as a weapon, how is it possible that Aes Sedai that have been leased and made damane can use the One Power as a weapon? Does the adam negate the three oaths?

I think Tuon makes mention about how Aesedai, dont make the best damane because of the three oaths. They get used for other tasks though like sky lights and mineral detection. Im sure in a battle they could be used so long as their is personal danger. I could be way off, but I think Ive thought of this before and recently picked this up in a re-read. Not sure exactly where the quote is though.

Guest cwestervelt

Threatening to kill an Aes Sedai Damane unless they attacked another person wouldn't work. The only viable target in that situation would be the Sul'dam. The real issue with Aes Sedai Damane being used as weapons are the Sul'dams. If the Seanchan make the Sul'dams move in closer during the attack, the problem goes away. If the Sul'dams weren't such cowards, Aes Sedai Damane could be just as effective as weapons as any other Damane.

I know this is off topic a little. But couldn't this be made a moot point by adding a fourth oath that no sister could be forced by another to use their power. it must always be free will. That would make the seanchan less likely to try and capture Aes Sedai since they would be of no use what so ever to them.

They would still capture them. They could get around the free will oath by breaking their spirit, which they already do. Just look that the former Aes Sedie that Tuon owns. When the deathwatch guard set out to track down Tuon, the former Aes Sedai was there as well. It was made pretty clear that she would do anything for Tuon.

Guest cwestervelt

They are so thoroughly broken that being leashed almost becomes a matter choice by the Damane. Given a truly free will choice, they will choose to wear the leash. Even Teslyn mentions how the Aes Sedai captured at Falme and then left behind in Ebou Dar was no longer safe to be taken off the leash. She would have run for a Sul'dam at the first opportunity.

I always wondered why an Aes Sedai being tortured... say, Cabriana, didn't just swear to not say anything. The Three Oaths would ensure her being unable to say anything at all... but meh. Just a random side thought.

While swearing that you won't say anything would prevent any knowledge from being leaked out of you, it would most likely speed up your death. Say Cabriana had taken that oath, she would've been killed instantly instead of after she divulged all her information, because she's of no use anymore.

A person is more likely to start taking any chances that might end with themselves still alive in that type of situation, then to throw away their life for the greater good. You'd convince yourself that there is hope, so you wouldn't make that oath, essentially killing yourself.

Not to say that would be the case for everyone.

Archived