DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

what happens to stilled damane?

Thorn

What happens to stilled or burned out damane?

Channeling wise, the same that happens to any saidar channeler.  Stilled, they be able to sense saidar but not channel it.  Burned out, they not able to even sense saidar or channel.

Are they still considered property, or are they set free? Has anything spoken to this so far?

I do not recall anywhere telling; guide does not tell.

There might be a chance that Gathering Storm told or that the remaining books would tell.

If the Seanchan find out the Healing for severing, they might seek someone to do it on severed/burned-out damane.

Interesting question even though there hasn't been any mention of it in the text. In Seanchan if woman are ok until it is discovered they can channel are the no longer an animal after they are stilled/burned out? Question being does the channeling make them an animal or are they an animal and that was why they were able to channel.

Firstly, the a'dam forms a link which creates a buffer stoping damane from exceeding their own strength, so they are not likely to be burned out. And why would the Seanchan still a damane? As well break a hammer.

The a'dam does not work on someone who has been burnt out or stilled--RJ told us that. But that being said the Seanchan will not have jad to deal with either burned out or stilled damane in their history. The a'dam and the nature of the service of damane forbids both.

while i agree that the seanchan would still their damane what abotu an outside force.  such as what happened to the AS maintaining Rands sheild in Dumia Wells.  they were stilled as an indirect result of him breaking free.

also, in fights, the AS(linked as in later battles) might seek out and still any damane as a tacticle method.  the seanchans greatest weapon is the use of the damane, so it only makes sense to try and take them out of the picture as quickly as possible.

and even though they are technicaly linked, if one is strong enough you can sheild a damane.  and if they can be sheilded, then they can be stilled.  Avendha(sp) sheilds the damane in tSR after her and rand make there way back to the gateway after having a sever romping seesion

in this instance, i wonder if both sul'dam and damane would be stilled.  i assume because they are linked and that sul'dam can technically channel, that both would be stilled.

as for what would happen to the damane after being stilled.  damane are both animals and tools, once an animal or tool has no more use said animal or tool is put down or thrown away.

as for what would happen to the damane after being stilled.  damane are both animals and tools, once an animal or tool has no more use said animal or tool is put down or thrown away.

I wonder... released into the wild, forgotten about?  Or killed, to be rid of?

Interesting questions. I would assume that it is up to the property owner.  Would you release them since you no longer want to waste your time on them anymore?  Or you would they still be filthy, but now no longer usable, and thus you'd have to exterminate them?

How I see it, why put down a pair of hands that could be useful? Just because you can't use the tool for it's given purpose anymore, doesn't mean you can't still use it. Put her to work somewhere else. Granted, the former damane wouldn't be very useful as a da'covale, but there's always things that need doing, that no one else wants to do.

I would think the Seanchan would see that side of it. Waste not, want not.

i'm still more inclined to think they'd kill them.  the seanchan veiw these people as animals, both men and women who can channel.  men are given "honor killings" and women are leashed.

when a working horse breaks it's leg or can't do it's job anymore, you don't put it out ot pasture, you kill it and put it out of its misery.

it's been said in this thread that damane would react the same way as an AS if they were stilled; they'd lose the will to live.  i believe this is also true.

so even if they were put to work somewhere else, more than likely they would die very shortly afterwards.

edit ->  another thing that makes me think they'd kill the stilled damane, is the seanchan's disgust for people who can channel.  no matter the job, no one would want a former channeler working for them or touching any possessions.

a channeler is a disgusting dangerous animal.  just because you remove the danger, doesn't make it any less disgusting to be around.

I don't think anything has been said, but knowing the Seanchan, their either put to work, or executed. I don't think they would just let them go free.

I agree. The chance that they might say something to someone they shouldn't or raise an army against their captors is too great of a risk for the Seanchan to take.

What if damane dont get stilled? Think about it, Seanchan check year after year, and catch the sparkers before they even realise that they can channel, damane cant touch the source unless a sul'dam says so, and since it is a link, she is protected from burning-out. and the seanchan never still damane, they eithet collar, or execute the runaway or criminal ones.

but if you remeber beck in tSR, Avendha sheilded 2 or 3 sul'dam/damane teams before they had a chance to touch saidar.  which means both are still able to be stilled by AS whether or not the sul'dam okays the damane for touchnig the source.

^  it was part of my response to the post quoted below 

How I see it, why put down a pair of hands that could be useful? Just because you can't use the tool for it's given purpose anymore, doesn't mean you can't still use it. Put her to work somewhere else. Granted, the former damane wouldn't be very useful as a da'covale, but there's always things that need doing, that no one else wants to do.

I would think the Seanchan would see that side of it. Waste not, want not.

Firstly, the a'dam forms a link which creates a buffer stoping damane from exceeding their own strength, so they are not likely to be burned out. And why would the Seanchan still a damane? As well break a hammer.

The a'dam does not work on someone who has been burnt out or stilled--RJ told us that. But that being said the Seanchan will not have jad to deal with either burned out or stilled damane in their history. The a'dam and the nature of the service of damane forbids both.

Nah, I can think of two instances where it can happen. First, being burned out by testing Ter'angreal, which the Seanchan definitely have, and even make. The second is by severed in battle as result of being shielded with considerable force, as Rand incidentally did to the Aes Sedai at DW.

As to the Damane once they've been severed/burned out, I can't imagine them being executed. Often, they're seen more as pets than as work animals. Besides, I'm sure the Seanchan have noticed the tenancy of them to off themselves, which I wonder if they allow them to do.

Aw well, maybe we'll find out in that big ol' encyclopedia or something.

Hopefully, at some point in the history of damane, it happened to someone new enough to still have the fortitude to pick up a rock and smash the skull of the the bastard holding the other end of the leash.

Hahah! That's the best response yet :P

Maybe I'll send this one in as a fan letter question and see if I can get a response. Anyone else who's at a signing or something & curious feel free to ask.

Hopefully, at some point in the history of damane, it happened to someone new enough to still have the fortitude to pick up a rock and smash the skull of the the bastard holding the other end of the leash.

while yer comment made me laugh :)

i don't believe this would happen.  especally since the damane would feel like 10 rocks were smashing in their skull ;)

hey, i got a question now, though this has probably been answered in the books somewhere.  if a sul'dam dies while leashed to a damane, does the damane die as well??  i'm assuming they would...

while yer comment made me laugh :)

i don't believe this would happen.  especally since the damane would feel like 10 rocks were smashing in their skull ;)

Not unless someone hit them in the head with 10 rocks.  The a'dam only works on women who can channel. Once they're stilled, there is nothing to link with.

Archived