DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

RP Question and Answer Thread!

claireducky

As long as you have an approved bio with some group here for the character you play you can post in any of the boards that your story makes sense in. So, no you don't need to fl approval to travel. The world/rp boards are for all rpers.

The main timeline is a work in progress so there isn't much posted for the main timeline as a whole, though you can ask your RGL about he details if what you want/what you need for your story. I believe we are currently living in the timeframe of about book 8/9 (but double check with your RGL cause I'm not 100% on that. I'm gonna look into it myself).

As for retro, some groups don't use it and play in the main timeline all the time. Some use it almost extensively. Please talk to your RGL to find out for Sure How it works for you on their group.

Think of it like this:

If you want to have a character who is an adult and involved and well trained/prepared in things going on in the world during the last battle you have to make your character an adult with a good grip in what is going on. Playing your character in this state is called playing in the main timeline.

Rping out how your character joined or trained while retaining the rights to play major events as an experienced member of the group is called playing in reto.

Think of it from the wt pov. You want to have an Aes Sedai of 100 years of age when the last battle starts. That means in the main timeline your aes sedai will have to be late 90s in the immediate moment. But you want to play her up from joining the wt and gaining her shawl. So you start out retrospectively playing the character as a 14 year old. Think of all of these rps as your elderly character looking back and telling the story of how they got to where they are.

Also, unless your RGL says otherwise, there is nothing stopping you from playing a beginning character in the main timeline, just be aware that it would mean they are only as skilled as they are in the bio at the moment things are happening in the world. So if you make a 15 year old and play in the main timeline they will only be a teenager on the last battle days. Again your RGL will be able to give you specifics about the group you join and how to play the character you want to.

With your going from the band to the wt this may be something you want to talk out so you can a smooth transfer later should that come up.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coolio, main timeline isn't important to my story but just wanted to check I'm not stepping on anybody's toes :P

I'm not that interested in RPing a Last Battle atm anyway, just want to have fun, and yes, have her be young enough to join the WT too in case I want to do that :happy:

*squees*

It's the 'young enough to join the tower' that has me a little worried. I don't know if the band does retro at all and if they don't she could only join the wt as a salidar novice. Which isn't a problem, unless you were hoping to make her an older aes sedai or something. And it's not just the last battle it's for any major timeline things and rank things. If she's a salidar novice she'll never be sitter or higher. But we can discuss this stuff in Pm's and such if you have questions.

As long as their bios would have that happen. If you have them coming from the same little village, or have them meet previously when their families came accross each other somehow, or have them crossing paths on their journey to the Tower yes. If you want them to know each other this is acceptable as long as you can explain how your characters are connected and met. If one is from one side of the world and one is from another and they come from families who run inns in their respective towns and have never travelled, it won't really make sense for them to know each other. 

Edited by Kathleen

It's the 'young enough to join the tower' that has me a little worried. I don't know if the band does retro at all and if they don't she could only join the wt as a salidar novice. Which isn't a problem, unless you were hoping to make her an older aes sedai or something. And it's not just the last battle it's for any major timeline things and rank things. If she's a salidar novice she'll never be sitter or higher. But we can discuss this stuff in Pm's and such if you have questions.

They don't RP very far in retro, a year at most I think. But I won't be RPing far in retro/before my bio, just going from the point I've written it now :)

Yeah...I plan on her becoming a traditional novice mainly because I like that better, buuut she's only 17 now, so after 2 years at the Band maybe she can be tested by an Aes Sedai. That would also ensure she doesn't get too skilled in weapons or something. Plenty of time to have fun, but still to have her remain a realistic character to RP as a novice :) I'll see, maybe "she" even likes it better at the Band :P

Thanks for your help!!

• 2 weeks later...

As a side note to this, bear in mind there's a big difference between doing an RP "in retro" the way the WT and other Channelers do and general retro RPs that most RPers will use at one time or another.

Anyone can do retro RPs in a small way if their character is taking a trip down memory lane or if the member wants to more fully flesh out their character's past. For instance, a Wolfkin might RP about something that happened before the Howling (this happens aged 13-20 in the current timeline so anything before they go through that isn't going to have happened more than roughly 15 years ago for a brand new member) or an aged Bander of 60 years might RP an experience they had as a child (again, we're talking about a normal life span so it's not going to be more than about 55 years ago).

However, there would not be enough time between the official starting point of the PSW and The Last Battle arriving for a girl to arrive at the Tower, go through her training, become an Aes Sedai and gain 100+ years of experience with the One Power. It's impossible. Hence why the WT RP's in retro. Most of the rest of us don't need to do that as we're not going to be 150 plus years of age when The Last Battle commences. We'll be roughly the same age as we are right now.

Hope that helps a little.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Let me correct that slightly...

Since 2007 a member is allowed 3 characters per RP Group.

The exception is the Freelanders RP Group where they can have 3 characters in each of the 7 internal groups/guilds for a total of 21 FL characters.

Tay, Claire said she has upped the amount of characters you can have in the Children of the Light:

You are allowed up to 2 characters per Division of the Children (Army of the Light, Hand of the Light and Eyes of the Light), and up to 1 non-traditional character that does not advance in ranks (such as a cook, blacksmith, farrier, servant, civilian, etc.) This means that you may play a grand total of characters within the Children if you desire.

• 2 weeks later...

So I sent out two different bios to two different divisions about three weeks ago. I haven't heard a thing from either one of them one way or another. What should I do?

Which groups did you send them too?

If check the email address again and send a pm to the group leader or post in the groups boards to let them know. If you don't hear back from them after that contact the rp admin.

Maurelle did you get a response from Arath at the BT as well or are you still waiting? I'd suggest dropping him a direct PM here on the forums if you've not heard back by email. He's very busy offline but I know he's been logged in so might just need a shove. :smile: