DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

RP Question and Answer Thread!

claireducky

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure that the link that Elgee provided has everything you need to know, Rand. It will also tell you where to send the bio. If memory serves right, they are sent in via email and not PMs, unless some RP group leader has chosen to do things differently and I'm not aware of it.

Also feel free to PM me if you need any help. I'm always happy to answer questions or if I don't know the answer, refer you to the person who does :) Welcome to the RP!!

Nyn

Records, yes. It facilitates thinga when a RP group leader is replaced. So we were given DM email accounts so when the leaders change, it's just a matter of providing them the login information and then they have all the information at hand. It avoids the hassle of having to transfer files and such. It is also a good back up in the case of a RP leader just going MIA. =)

And of course, there's no impediment to PMing any of the RP group leaders. We all have an open door policy. I just referred to the means that are typically used to send the biography, that's all.

Nyn

Edited by Nynaeve

Essentially, yes. The bio gives an outline of your character's past and how they came to be where they are. It also establishes your character's personality and skills. However, there are no dice rolls involved, and we tend to minimize the involvement of those messy "number" things.

• 2 weeks later...

So, do we need to post things in planning, or can we just start a thread and stick it as open?

That depends on the RP Group in question. It might be best to ask whomever is in charge of new people at whichever group you joined, if they have such a thing. In most (if not all) you have to go through some kind of training process which involves prescribed RPs.

To answer your question more specifically, you'll need to decide whether you joined the Band before or after the kidnapping of the Daughter of the Nine Moons, then we can work out your intro thread. I would prefer that you joined before so we can get a few more actual characters into the RP, but the choice is yours.

So, do we need to post things in planning, or can we just start a thread and stick it as open?

Well you should probably plan out a bit with an intended Rper. If you have no intended Rper the thread should have some kind of goal that's pretty clear in the opening thread. Like the Dinner stories thread in the WT, pretty clear what is going on there. Planning threads, at least in the WT, are used for groups of people more then say two or three. Usually I pm people if its just two or three.

I'm going to start at the beginning of the process for the sake of anybody who reads through this thread looking for answers. Based on your post, I assume you know a lot of this.

1a)Write a bio and send it to the appropriate division.

1b)Read and agree to the Dragonmount Code of Conduct

2)Talk to the people in your division(s). I cannot emphasize this too strongly. The people in your division(s) will make up the majority of those with whom you will RP, so take some time to get to know them. Find out if they have any RP ideas or pitch some of your own.

3)Generate ideas. These can be as simple as meeting another character for a drink and some conversation or as complex as a multi-thread storyline that further develops your character(s).

4)Write.

• 3 months later...

In your particular case, moving from city to city in order to find the man you're looking for is a good way to make yourself available for several RPs.

On another note, due to your particular case, I think you should probably have a run-in with my character. We'll have to work out the details, but I'd be your best bet in the Freelanders for training up your WS towards the end.

• 2 months later...

This thread is gold!! :D

Okay so I have a young character who is going to be part of the Band for a while, then at some point maybe a Novice. This has been approved, but I have more questions about cross-group RPing - I'd like to write some (probably solo, but anyone else is welcome as long as it doesn't end up significantly hindering her ending up with the Band), start off with RPing her setting out on her travels. Can I just post RP threads in that area (Andor), or do I need permission from Freelanders or something?

Also, about the Timeline - is there a thread (cos I can't find one yet or am blind) which shows exactly where we are at the moment? Does this REALLY affect where and when my character is, or can I do lots of retro? I've never really understood the whole "main storyline" thing, and lots of the stuff in the Timeline board is old. So just would like a little explanation for where we're at, thanks!

Thanks for your time! :D