DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rand/Sulin brother/sister?

GrandpaG

I think she was probably thinking about him the way some of the maidens do...some think he's a brother, some think he's a son.  She can't actually be his sister.

When she puts the cadinsor back on after Rand has been kidnapped, she says "the Aes Sedai have taken my first-brother" and the glossary says that a first-sister/first brother has the same mother and that that is more important than having the same dad.  At first, I thought well maybe Sulin's dad was also Rand's dad.

Now I don't know for sure.  Not important.  Just perplexing.  Every time I re-read, I stumble onto new stuff to perplex me.  ::)

Because Sulin is described as being quite old, I immediately dismissed the idea that she was Tigraine's daughter.  Then I thought, well maybe Rand's dad could have been Sulin's dad?  Is it common knowledge among the Aiel as to who Rand's real dad was?  How would Sulin know?

I think it has more to do with him being the son of a maiden than actual blood relation, so I agree with mb.

I believe, GG, that the Maiden's reactions reveal whether or not they themselves have had children.

Maidens who have relinquished their children are probably the ones who have de facto adopted him, making the treatment he receives, and some of those who die, far more poignant.

The ones that accept him as a brother are probably the ones who did not have children- he is kin to their sisters though, as close as possible. A maiden honorarily, you might say.

Archived