DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Favorite classic?

ohaitharguiz

1984 was written in 1948. That's about the same time The Lord of the Rings was written (37-49 acc to Wikipedia). I'd call those both classics.

My favorites are Oliver Twist and War & Peace.

I hated Moby Dick. One of only two books in the last decade or so I didn't finish. The other being The Green Mile (Stephen King)

I have a lot. It's hard for me to just pick one FAVORITE classic novel. I'm not sure I have one. I love a lot of them, but I don't really have a "favorite." Unless we limit it to "classic fantasy" and then it's Le Morte D'Arthur hands down.

But as for classics I loved War and Peace, Vanity Fair, Crime and Punishment, Demons, The Karamazov Brothers, Catcher in the Rye, The Old Man and the Sea, For Whom the Bell Tolls, A Farewell to Arms, Moby Dick, The Count of Monte Cristo, The Divine Comedy, Don Quixote, The Call of the Wild, White Fang, To Build a Fire, David Copperfield, A Tale of Two Cities, Great Expectations, The Illiad, The Once and Future King, Watership Down, Les Miserables, Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, Something Wicked This Way Comes, Fahrenheit 451, Dracula, Of Time and the River, Slaughterhouse Five, Cat's Cradle, Lolita, Sons and Lovers, Brave New World, 1984, Animal Farm, An American Tragedy, Native Son, Beloved, The Adventure of Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass, The Sound and the Fury, Heart of Darkness, Gulliver's Travels, Ulysses, The Lord of the Flies, The Time Machine, The Invisible Man, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Atlas Shrugged, A Clockwork Orange, In Cold Blood, just about everything by H.P. Lovecraft, Jane Eyre, Candide, We, Treasure Island. I think that just about covers it of the ones I liked. Out of all of that probably The Sound and the Fury is my favorite, but that's a tough call.

And if we add in plays I go with Glengarry Glen Ross, The Tragedy of Hamlet, The Tragedy of Othello, The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet, The Death of a Salesman, The Crucible, A Streetcar Named Desire, The Glass Menagerie, Angels in America: Millennium Approaches, Angels in America: Perestroika. Others as well.

• 4 weeks later...

im Austen fan, her "Pride & Prejudice" is my absolute favourite classic(read it over 17 times :) ) ..

"Mansfield Park" could've been my 2nd fav. classic if not for its last 3 chapters, (they irritates me to great extent).. seriously, why didnt Jane Austen let Henry be truely changed by falling in love, ignore all his greedy ambitions and trade the world for having Fanny!!! that would have been much better ending! right? .. and oh yea, i just couldnt make myself like Edmund at all..

maybe "Northanger Abbey" isnt as known as her other novels .. but i liked it very much.. to others who like reading classics, i recommend it to u.

i LOVE all Shakespear's comedies specially: "Twelfth Night, The Taming of the Shrew, As you Like it, Much Ado about Nothing, A Midsummer Night's Dream"

can we consider Arabian Nights (one thousand and one nights) as a classic?! but i read it in Arabic not English.

i read alot of classics but those are my top favourites, which i re-read from time to time

I am quite biased when I say The Iliad and The Odyssey since I studied Classics (Ancient Greek and Latin) at university. I would also add Virgil's Aeneid, and several other books of poetry. Despite hating it the first time I read it, I would seriously recommend Harper Lee's To Kill A Mockingbird. Great book.

Archived