DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Dark Prophecy

Beren

Ok, because I thought this should be reviewed again. Here we go.

Daughter of the Night, she walks again.

The ancient war, she yet fights.

Her new lover she seeks, who shall serve her and die, yet serve still.

Who shall stand against her coming?

The Shining Walls shall kneel.

Ok, Daughter of the Night is obviously Lanfear. The second line most likely describes that she is still fighting. The third line is where it gets interesting. The words "who shall serve her and die, yet serve still" seem to speak of Rand, but we know Rand is not her lover. So that brings up the question of who is. The fourth line indicates strength. The fifth line is interesting. What does Lanfear/Cyndane have to do with the White Tower?

Blood feeds blood.

Blood calls blood.

Blood is, and blood was, and blood shall ever be.

I think there is a deeper meaning hidden in this. We see so many oaths taken on blood. We see blood being part of the mindtrap. What blood is being talked about here? I don't think it is any normal blood.

The man who channels stands alone.

He gives his friends for sacrifice.

Two roads before him, one to death beyond dying, one to life eternal.

Which will he choose? Which will he choose?

What hand shelters? What hand slays?

(refrain)

Death beyond dying seems to indicate that he would be under the power of the DO. "What hand shelters? What hand slays?" seems to talk about this as well. I think it means that we don't know which of those choices will lead to a good ending and which bad. Perhaps death beyond dying is what is necessary.

Luc came to the Mountains of Dhoom.

Isam waited in the high passes.

The hunt is now begun. The Shadow's hounds now course, and kill.

One did live, and one did die, but both are.

The Time of Change has come.

(refrain)

"One did live and one did die." We always assumed this referred to the Slayer amalgamation, but does it? It is separated from Slayer by the mention of the hunt being begun.

The Watchers wait on Toman's Head.

The seed of the Hammer burns the ancient tree.

Death shall sow, and summer burn, before the Great Lord comes.

Death shall reap, and bodies fail, before the Great Lord comes.

Again the seed slays ancient wrong, before the Great Lord comes.

Now the Great Lord comes.

(refrain)

Does this verse relate to the seals on the DO's prison? We have seven events here:

1) Watchers wait on Toman's Head. --- seal with Turak (first seal at Toman Head)

2) The seed of the Hammer burns the ancient tree. --- seal in Rhuidean

3) Death shall sow --- second seal at Toman Head

4) and summer burn

5) Death shall reap

6) and bodies fail

7) Again the seed slays ancient wrong

Now the Great Lord comes.

It is mentioned three times "before the Great Lord comes" and then at the end after all this, "Now the Great Lord comes."

We have four broken seals.

One at the Eye after it was used.

Two at Toman Head.

One while the girls were on their way to Salidar.

We have three unbroken seals. (I can't remember if we have mention of them elsewhere.)

One from Tear.

One from Rhuidean.

One from Taim who said it was found in a farm in Saldea and the people said they were descendants of Hawkwing.

So, which ones are broken? I think we have seen both the Watcher's and death sowing broken at Toman Head. I think we have seen summer burn be broken when the Bowl of Winds was used to end the summer.

Who is the seed of the Hammer? Could it be Perrin? Thus the legends about the wolf king would play a huge part. The seed of the Hammer burns the ancient tree. Not sure about this one. Again the seed slays ancient wrong. Foreshadowing of Perrin killing Slayer?

Death shall reap. Can not comment on this one.

Bodies fail. Well, the bubbles of evil have been doing terrible things to bodies. Or could this be the seal at the Eye of the World? Bodies fail could refer to the two Forsaken who were trapped too close to the surface.

I like where you're going with this.  Hmm, "Death shall sow" seems indicative of the Blight and Bayle Domon found one of those Falme seals in Saldea.  So you may be right about that referring to one broken at Falme.

Also, how long before spoilers for The Gathering Storm start showing up here?  I want to complete my reread before leaping into it and I'm afraid I'm goona stumble upon something.

I like where you're going with this.  Hmm, "Death shall sow" seems indicative of the Blight and Bayle Domon found one of those Falme seals in Saldea.  So you may be right about that referring to one broken at Falme.

Also, how long before spoilers for The Gathering Storm start showing up here?  I want to complete my reread before leaping into it and I'm afraid I'm goona stumble upon something.

At least a month according to Kathana. She wants to make sure everyone in countries with a later release date has had a chance to read it through before opening the main forum to TGS spoilers.

Very interesting, I love the Prophecies in Randland. I always thought that the Hammer referred to the descendents of Arthur Hawkwing and that the Ancient tree referred to the community on Toman Head,  as they are descendants from old kingdoms with an emblem of Avendesora still on their banners.

It's just that you see hammers popping up all the time with Perrin. Then I read back through New Spring and discovered that one of the Green Ajah sisters keeps a blacksmith's hammer with a split head in her room. Why on earth would she keep that if there was no significance to it? Then we see a blacksmith who doesn't appear at all able to channel killed near the Borderlands from a broken back without a mark on him. This is at the same time that there are rumors of a man who can channel running around. We see in TEotW that Ishy is snapping the backs of rats and he even attempts to do it to Rand at least once. It's just all very suspicious when you look at all those events together.

I still could be very wrong as the Artur Hawkwing reference would be just as valid if not more so. I just wonder what "ancient wrong" the Seanchan armies would possibly slay. The only things I can think of are Slayer and the Gholam. They don't have the means to kill the Gholam unless Matt joins them. Slayer is almost certainly set for a showdown with Lan or Perrin.

I can't wait until you have read TGS mb.

I would be purchasing Gathering Storm in November 2009.  Starting it will be sometime after finishing Feast for Crows of the Song of Ice and Fire series; maybe directly after (if I am on Feast for Crows or on Circle trilogy when I purchase Gathering Storm), maybe when I am in the middle of another book (if I finish Feast for Crows before purchasing Gathering Storm).

Ok, because I thought this should be reviewed again. Here we go.

Daughter of the Night, she walks again.

The ancient war, she yet fights.

Her new lover she seeks, who shall serve her and die, yet serve still.

Who shall stand against her coming?

The Shining Walls shall kneel.

Ok, Daughter of the Night is obviously Lanfear. The second line most likely describes that she is still fighting. The third line is where it gets interesting. The words "who shall serve her and die, yet serve still" seem to speak of Rand, but we know Rand is not her lover. So that brings up the question of who is. The fourth line indicates strength. The fifth line is interesting. What does Lanfear/Cyndane have to do with the White Tower?

<snip>

Wow, that's a lot. I'm tired and haven't done a reread of the series in awhile, so I'll just comment on the first little bit of that, Beren. BTW, GREAT post.

I've got a bit of a crazy theory here. I think this verse does talk about Lanfear, but I would be her new Lover to be Moridin. I know it's crazy, I KNOW it is, but if they somehow hook up, I could see the third line working. Yeah, it's a longshot, but that would be cool.

Hey, you've read TGS. Sure, Lanfear/Cyndane becoming lovers with Moridin is a stretch, but not out of the realm of possibility.

Yes, I have read TGS which means I have to VERY careful with what I post here.

I have my fully fleshed out version and my non-TGS version.  :)

I have this to add.

As I was looking at this today, I took care to note what each prophecy was about.

I think we get the following:

Lanfear

Rand

Slayer

The Seals

I think the Blood part is about the 3 Ta'veren.

In about a month or so I will post a fully written up theory on this Dark Prophecy here.

Do we have any proof it is prophecy?  Yes, I know the Aes Sedai call it that, but...

1) Prophecy seems to me to be a useful tool.  Why leave it written on your enemies' walls?

2) Is there anything there that really points to the future?  It seems to me to be stuff that had already happened by that point (the Seanchan landing, Lanfear being awake, formation of Slayer).  It looks like simple boasting.

Do we have any proof it is prophecy?

Some might be considered prophecy, rest is likely propaganda.  All of it was probably intended to be propaganda.

Prophecy seems to me to be a useful tool.  Why leave it written on your enemies' walls?

Like another posted, to cause doubt & fear.  Another reason (and probably the underlining one) could be because the Shadow is full of chaos.

Is there anything there that really points to the future?  It seems to me to be stuff that had already happened by that point (the Seanchan landing, Lanfear being awake, formation of Slayer).  It looks like simple boasting.

Lanfear sought Rand after it was written. (stanza 1, line 3)

Rand was sacrificing his friends (by sending them away) long after it was written. (stanza 2, line 2)

Slayer's hire by Shadow seems to have started after it was written. (stanza 3, line 3)

Seanchan attacked Tarabon after it was written. (stanza 4, line 2)  The hot weather happened after it was written. ('summer burn')

Archived