DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Thought about Mat Giving up his eye

slaughter_u

This covers it. From Kadere in the "Mat's eye" thread:

The two theories on this that I most like are that he'll give up the eye as either payment to get Moriaine, or to give it up so the Finn can't know what he sees.

The other theory I think plays better in the "Give up half the light of the world to SAVE THE WORLD." The theory is that since Rand is obviously going blind, Mat gives Rand one of his eyes. This is a little far-fetched, and I really don't quite understand how it would work, but I think there's also some good reasoning behind it. Rand's going to need to be able to see, and Mat is suppose to save the world losing his eye.

What's always thrown me was Egwene's dream in TDR about Mat's eye socket bleeding while Ba'alzamon stands behind him. I never been able to connect that with any theories.

So I don't know, but I'm DIEING to find out.

As much as I disagree, someone suggested that Mat MAY work/compromise with the dark-side, thus giving up half the light, and somehow twisted that for the greater good.

I am leaning toward he removed one of his eyes, because he figured out that the Finns are able to see "through" one of his eyes. This is because he has stepped into the red door thing, and it's part of the price. Someone mentioned that this is how the Finn have the collection of all the memories they gave to Mat. The suggestion is that all the people who owns the memory in Mat's head have stepped into the "red-door" and met the Finns.

So, he needs to remove his eye because he doesn't want the Finns find out that he is rescuing Moriane. Maybe by rescuing Moriane, he is "saving the world" in a way. I don't know, but I prefer this kind of explanation :)

Archived