DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A New Arrival (SG) [Rashad Ranch]

Angelica

**Cont. from "A Small begining" West (DR)**

Not going through Tar Valon irked Angelica to no end, she had never seen the walls of it before and from a distance it shined like no other place she has ever seen. She wanted so bad to just walk through there and see the sights, but she didn’t want to go alone, perhaps after her training, if given time to look around, she may come back some time in the future and satisfy her curiosity. Besides what would she do if she wandered into a Aes Sedai and hauled up to the tower for training. She really doubts they would teach her the things she wants to learn, if they don’t kill her outright for being a darkfriend. She had heard that they could detect the shadow in someone…or maybe it was just the warders the rumor differed, depending on who told it.

The rest of the journey was as dull and boring as most of the trip so far, with hardly any conversation. By watching Cari’s expressions every time she looked in angelica direction, angelica has gotten the impression that she wasn’t liked. Though she has done nothing to her up to this point to draw on that hatred, it was not a mystery to dwell on too much. Angelica is not one who really cares if someone likes her or not, only that people do what they are supposed to do. In this case bringing her to the ranch to be trained.

At various times thoughout the journey, she tries to touch that source, only to feel it on the edge of her senses, but it just slips away. Once a tree branch burst into flames off to the right of the horses, luckily it was not herself or her horse that burned. She restrained from trying for two days after that, but couldn’t hold her eagerness down for too long.

Cairhein, was as grand as they say back in Bandar Eban, but her home city is much more beautiful in her own opinion. In a way she misses Bandar Eban, but she needs to learn to control this power, if she is going to be powerful enough to satisfy her need for power maybe even be a queen one day.

In Cairhein, she takes it easy; she doesn’t go out and collect more money. Between Davyn and the unlucky merchant and her own small money that she gathered from her estates, she has enough money to live comfortably for 3 or 4 years in the best of times. But seeing the rising prices for withered fruits and vegetables and other trade goods, she doubts it will last that long, but long enough to learn what she needs, and if she gets paid a pittance for her work at the ranch, it will make it last just that much longer.

The next day, they leave the city of topless towers (not really topless, damage from the Aiel war could still be seen and the towers were still being repaired after so many years). By night fall the small town of Fairhaven came into view. They ride into town and then turn left at the crossroads. After a short ride, they came a crossed The Rashad Ranch and pull into the grounds.

“So this is the Rashad Ranch, it seems very quiet here…I think I might like living here while I learn my new tradeâ€

Cari nodded. "Yes, this is my home." Cari put an emphasis on the last part of the phrase. "Nathan will want to speak with you first, and then you can see Mistress Nalia."

Cari lead the way to the stable. "Your horse will stay here and room and board for your steed will be taken from your wages." Cari wasn't sure if she'd told the woman this yet, but it didn't hurt to tell her again. "You will be given enough wage to cover your horses room and board, as well as yours with enough left over to save for whatever you need to personalize your home, or horde it away."

Cari indicated in the direction of the outbuildings. "You have the option of living in one of the out buildings. I beleive there is at least one that is not taken." (OOC: Demus holds one of them which I don't think I've updated yet if you'd like one please let me know and I'll let ya know which ones aren't available.) "Or you can take a room in the main house. Mistress Nalia has a room there if that will help your decision any." Cari stabled Tain Cor and went looking for Nathan. "You can make your decision as we walk to find Nathan."

OOC: You can take the conversation with Nathan if you like... basically he'll ask you what you can do for him on his ranch and tell Cari to take care of her. Then we can move to Mistress Nalia. And anyone else you'd like to meet.

Cari

Angelica smiled inwardly as Cari insinuated that this would not be her home as well, but only time will tell for sure. She followed Cari to the stables and just listened to her as she continued to explain things around the Ranch, and how she would be compensated for her time, “Well, at least I won’t lose anything to learn how to channel"

While settling down and stabling Gai`dore, her razor, she mulls over what she wants as far as living quarters. She could live inside of the house and be close to her teacher or have an outbuilding all to herself. In the end, she thought privacy would be her better option, who knows she may not like her teacher and may want to spend time away from her between lessons. “Well, if I have a choice…I think I would rather live in an outbuilding. Besides, they are closer to the barns where I’d be working, yes? And I would rather have more room than be cramped in a small room in the ranch house.†She says with a smile as she places an oat bag around Gai`dore’s muzzle and then stands up straight, “Well, we shouldn’t keep Nathan waiting too longâ€

It didn’t take long to find Nathan; he was sitting in his study at the ranch house relaxing with a pipe and waiting for their entrance. He had seen them enter the grounds and head towards the stables and he took this time to speak quietly with Nalia. Nalia looked over Angelica before she disappeared and nodded her head that indeed she could channel. Nathan shivers at the thought that another wielder of the One Power should be at his Ranch, but smiles at the prestige it would bring him before waving Nalia back to her room to wait.

As Angelica enters just behind Cari, she waits as Nathan asks about Cari’s trip. Cari's grimace was quickly covered up and then waves towards Angelica, “This is the girl I informed you about in my last massage, Angelica Rahjal of Arad Doman. She wishes to train under Nalia.†She looks towards Angelica and waves her forward and then steps back as Angelica stands before Nathan.

“So you wish to live at my Ranch do you?†Nathan says to Angelica in a tone that he doubts she could do anything useful, but the way his eyes scan her figure ruins the attempt slightly, “What can you do for the Ranch to cover your stay here?â€

Angelica smiles at Nathan and gives him a honored curtsy before replying, “I have spent most of my life as a merchant, I know the particulars of trade and finance, but I doubt you could use those skills at a ranch, as I’m sure you deal with all that yourself. I’m also skilled with horses, so I thought maybe I could be a Horse handler?†she says with a smile that promises more if he wants it. “I have also brought with me a Domoni Razor, that can be used as breeding stock, it’s a mare unfortunately so you wont get too much out of her, but if your lucky she might birth you a true stallion, to seed your currant stock†The horse used to belong to one of her rivals early in her dark career, until he suffered a tragic accident, trained as a light war horse, it has mellowed out some what over the years, but still keeps the same name it had, as it doesn’t answer to any other, Gai`Dore, in the Old Tongue it meant Battle Dancer.

Nathan nods and smiles to himself about the prospects of new blood in his horses, “A Horse handler then, it also gives you opportunity to be with Nalia, as she is one of my Ranch hands. Cari? See to it that Angelica is taken care of and then bring her to Nalia, she is waiting in her room for herâ€

Cari nodded. She liked Nathan, quick and to the point, much like she was. She wasn't nearly as abrupt as she use to be as Warder, her new persona had mellowed that out.

"Come, I'll show you to your house."

Cari lead the way out of the house introducing Angelica to Sara and Nona who were busy preparring food in the kitchen. "Dinner is a required meal in the household, if you don't plan on attending it is best to tell Nona and Sara of your absense or you'll see the rough side of their tongue and if it's too often the wrong side of the broom." Cari said that with a smile, she'd watched several people be beat with it and then forced to sweep for a month.

Cari continued with the general routine. "The last day of the week is our light day. We have basic chores but then the rest of the day is free time. The night before our free day Fairhaven has nightly activities in town that celebrates the end of a good work week. It's the only night you don't have to tell Nona and Sara you aren't coming as they don't prepare alot of food anyway."

They neared the out buildings and Cari told Angelica who lived where. "This one is yours." Cari reached the top of the door jab and pulled the key from it's hiding spot. "This is your only key, keep it safe. Nathan doesn't like coming to unlock doors because of locked keys."

"Do you want to settle in before meeting Nalia?"

Cari

Angelica gave a friendly nod to the two kitchen cooks as they made their way out of the house and then turns to Cari as they step outside, “I’ll make it to dinner if I can, but I hope that they can cook well. I would severely hate to be forced to eat a meal that tastes like chewing leatherleaf" she says with half mirth, not really expecting it to taste bad, but still leaving the possibility.

As they come to the outbuildings she noticed that for the most part they all looked alike, like someone built them using cookie cutters, but they also had their differences. They come up to one next to the training grounds as Cari announces that this one is hers. "It looks very nice." she says to herself as Cari produces a Key from its hiding place and hands it to her. “I’ll not lose it, thank you" she says as she walks up to the door and unlocks it, and steps inside.

The inside was sparsely furnished, with only a few basic needs, a couple chairs, fireplace, a dining room table and an empty bookshelf. There was bathroom, a master bedroom and a guest bedroom, and in the back a stairway leading to the basement. She decides to explore more when she comes back and looks to Cari as she asks if she wanted to settle in. she thinks about it a moment then shakes her head, “I think I would like to meet my teacher first, I'll settle in afterwards" she says then Sets her Bags down next to the door, closes it and relocks it, placing the key in her coin pouch for the time being. She turns back towards the Ranch and the world keeps spinning around her. Losing her equilibrium she tries to steady herself by placing her hands over her temples, but the ground looms closer as she falls forward and darkness takes her vision. Sweat forms on her skin as she tries to move. "I feel so cold...." she says weakly, then she feints.

((OOC: Sickness caused by touching the source for the first time unguided, back in Arad Doman, it is only now manifesting))

Cari watched as the girl swooned. "I think you'd better rest first, I will bring Nalia to you." Cari waited for Angelica to go inside then turned to fetch the dreadlord. Cari sighed she really disliked Nalia but would speak to her when the need arrose.

Nalia was in her room and Cari knocked politely waiting for an answer. Nalia opened the door and smiled. "She's here?"

Cari nodded, "Yes but she's in her house. She's taken ill."

Nalia nodded her head then began to move towards the spare house. "You might need to fetch Nona."

Cari nodded. "I'll let you check on her before disturbing Miss Nona."

Nalia didn't bother knocking as she entered the door, "Angelica?"

OOC: Let you deal with Nalia, we can fetch a healer if you want, it'll be another PC unless it's really sever we can fetch the one in town hehe... sup to you.

Cari

• 2 weeks later...

Angelica only barely made it back inside to lie down on the dusty sofa next to the cold fireplace. The musty odor of the unused house sits very poorly with her spinning nausea but she holds herself together as she rolls more comfortably onto her back.

What is going on…I was fine all day and then this comes up without warning? I hope its not nothing serious.

It doesn’t take too long until Cari returns with a lady with multi-colored hair who walks quickly over to Angelica and suppresses a smirk as she leans over and touches angelica head with the palm of her hand, sending shivers down her sickened body “Let this be our first lesson, yes. What you are going through is the direct cause of learning to channel unaided. If you do not want to go through this again, then I suggest that you never attempt to channel on your own until you are an Adept. I see I got here just in time otherwise you would have gone too sick for my healing abilities to heal you. If this had happened on your trip here…you probably would have died a most painful death. Not as bad as the men, but bad enough.â€

Angelica attempted to speak in her defense but each time she opened her mouth the nausea would increase so she closed it and the feeling would go away. She never even caught on that it was Nalia that was causing the feeling to prevent her from speaking. The woman stands up and removes her hand from Angelica’s head and turns towards Cari. “I’ve done all I can…I was hoping to start her training as soon as possible, but now she will have to rest for the remainder of the day. You may fetch Nona, she may need some sleeping aids…go on hurry up...she doesn’t have all day†Nalia waits until Cari leaves before turning back to angelica.

“I should just leave you here and freeze, but I have my orders and those orders require you to live†she looks over towards the fireplace. Wooden logs stacked and ready to light and they just burst into flame, and then with a wave of her hand, dust from around the room begins to collect into a giant ball that floats out of the window. “That will have to do for now… the rest of the house I leave for you to clean up…but you should rest comfortably in this room for whats left of the day and nightâ€

Angelica smiles and nods to the woman, “Thank youâ€

Nalia shakes her head, “Don’t thank me, if the Great Lord didn’t order us to train more Dreadlords I would have left you for dead for your stupidity. Tomorrow by dawn I want you in my room and ready for training…do not be late or I’ll give you my share of the chores to do as well as yours†she replies before turning on her heals and walking out the door, slamming it behind her.

• 3 weeks later...

Cari glared at Nalia. She wasn't some one to be ordered about. But Cari went to fetch Nona anyway, she didn't want to give the girl anymore aide than she already did. Cari wanted very little to do with the Channelers. She could have given the girl the herbs needed to sleep and then some to block the channeling as well, and even kill her, but Nona was much better than she was at such things.

Cari walked hurriedly to the kitchen to fetch Nona. Once in the kitchen the woman stood stirrng what would be their dinner. "Mistress Nona, if it pleases you, we've a young channeler who's sick with her first channeling. Nalia's taken care of her, but asked if you could come help the girl sleep."

Cari

OOC: sent Nona a PM hopefully she'll join on in.

• 4 weeks later...

OOC: Nona has left DM so we shall continue

Cari arrived with Nona and the healer did the work she could have done. A tea mixed with sleeping agents that were common around the ranch, simple enough but Cari still fumed about Nalia's orders and the One Power.

Nalia shooed the woman out the door and they left Angelica to sleep off the affects of healing. Tomorrow would be a brand new day.

OOC: I can help you with your training, you just have to tell me what you need and I can get you started. As Nalia is an NPC you'll be interacting alot with Cari with Nalia doing the instruction and Cari either helping or being the object of "attention". It'll be an interesting sort of experience.

Mat

OOC: Oh I bet Cari will love that...LOL. I'll make a New thread This Friday I think. The first lesson I think would be to Touch the One power, and then seeing how well I can touch each of the weaves(Fire,earth,water,air and spirit) to see which are my strong points and then set up my training based on those to see what weaves I can learn vrs which ones Nalia is willing to teach me.

OOC: lol yes won't she... it's my job to torture Cari lol... I can work with you on whatever you need doing.

BTW, in the very near future we are going to have a trip to either Camerlyn or Murandy (depending on participation of given Chosens) and you are more than welcome to join Demus and I. If you are interested in going with us then just let me know. It's open to anyone on the ranch.

Mat