DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Why are people seeing ghosts?

Beren

So, as I have been reading, I have put together a theory on why people are seeing ghosts and "things out of nightmares."

First off, we have the statement that when the DO is free in one world, he is free in all worlds. So, we can theorize that these worlds might bleed through into the world in the books due to the DO's influence on the pattern.

We saw Rand travel to one of the worlds of If. In this world, history had happened differently and with strange results like the Grolm being the only things still living (that he saw).

We know that some things are completely different like hallways moving, some things are just slightly different like a different tapestry on the wall. These are things that could have happened if something in the past had gone differently. For example, the builders of a place decide to build a hallway in a different place.

So, if these other realities are bleeding through, people are not seeing ghosts, but rather what exists in the other worlds of If. They are actually seeing people from that world walking about barely in this world.

We know that Perrin (I think it was him) felt like he was mist and the world was wavering three times. I wouldn't be surprised if someone in another of the worlds of If saw him and whoever was with him in the same ghostlike form that people in the current world are seeing these ghosts.

Thus, the DO is not changing reality, he is blending all the worlds together.

What does everyone think about this?

Also, why don't the Ogier see the ghosts? (I still have no explanation for this, but I think it is important.)

That doesn't explain the Shiotan village Mat saw imo.

Hmmm... I think I need to get completely caught up on my re-read and then flesh this thing out some more. I haven't gotten to the actual ghosts/etc. in my re-read. Those I am basing off of what I remember from the first time through. The other things come from my re-read. I will get back to you.

Also, Ogier can't see human ghosts, but they can see Ogier ghosts (if there are any). Those ghosts would most likely be in the steddings though.

Ghosts just like shifting corridors are a result of the Pattern loosening and reality shifting as the Dark One's touch grows.

The ghosts are of people long dead yet recognizable so they couldn't be people currently alive in different worlds (read the early chapters when Rand's party was in Algarin's mansion).

Also, Ogier can't see human ghosts, but they can see Ogier ghosts (if there are any). Those ghosts would most likely be in the steddings though.

Ghosts just like shifting corridors are a result of the Pattern loosening and reality shifting as the Dark One's touch grows.

The ghosts are of people long dead yet recognizable so they couldn't be people currently alive in different worlds (read the early chapters when Rand's party was in Algarin's mansion).

Which book are you referencing? I am bout to start CoS again. Just finished up LoC.

Which book are you referencing? I am bout to start CoS again. Just finished up LoC.

I guess either Crossroads of Twilight or Knife of Dreams.

Knife of Dreams. Sorry for the spoiler if you haven't read it.

I've read it. It's been a while. I am on my re-read through the entire series before TGS comes out. The big problem is I read Steven Erikson's entire series in between so I forgot a lot of detailed facts from WoT while I was doing that.

I think it could be a little of both. Yes, some people have recognized some people, but I also have just listened to Egwene's comforting of the novices in the WT and she describes some old clothes that still could be used (see the Sea Folk, no pun intended) mainly the swaths of cloth that left thier bosom fully exposed. The novice also talks about seeing a person go through a wall. That could have been a renovation, or a different WT in a different world.

Great question by the way.

Alright guys. I still like the question I asked, but I am going to let everyone know that I will not be posting anything more on the matter until I have finished my re-read of CoT and KoD as those are going to be very important to the argument I am trying to make. Feel free to keep debating though.

Archived