DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What Characters Do You Think Are Too Similar To Other Characters???

The Fisher King

Ok, we know most sniffly, composed aes sedai and stone-hard warders are intentionally similarly constructed on person, just as intentionally Mr Jordan made almost all nobles snooty, snobby etc...But I mean individual characters that have other characters that they are JUST Like!!! - Heres Mine:

1 Thom and Noal

2 Beslan and Aram

3 Pedron Niall and Eamon Valda

4 Ingtar and Uno

5 Berelain, Halima, Graendal, Lamfear

Fish

Hi everyone - thanks for the opinions ... the first one id like to give a bit more support to is Thom/Noal:

Lets see: Elderly, White-Haired Old Men who are more than they seem, are sly, are widely-travelled, keep many knives (that theyre very good with) and are travelling in mat's company....Uh, Thom and Noal are pretty indistinguishably from each other except for the whole music thing with Thim and his love for Moirane.

Fish

First off Fish, I 100% agree with the Thom/Noal thing, But for different reasons. I think the similarities are intentional. I am a long time believer that they have a past. And I am aware that there is evidence to the contrary but I am stubborn.

With Pedron/Eamon I, once again, think it is intentional. Birds of a feather and all that.

srj

And as far as the women go RJ admitted that all the female characters are base on Harriet to an extent. So yeah I agree with you there as well.

But over all I think you are right. But really I think this was bound to happen to some degree, in a series with over 1800 named characters there was always going to be some cross over.

Lets see: Elderly, White-Haired Old Men
So you bring up age twice, and white hair, which is often found in older people. You don't really have that much by way of similarity - both in Mat's company is really grasping at straws.

Lets see: Elderly, White-Haired Old Men
So you bring up age twice, and white hair, which is often found in older people. You don't really have that much by way of similarity - both in Mat's company is really grasping at straws.

You are completely ignoring the other evidence they are both well travelled, adventurers to a point, good with knives, story tellers. So it was not just the age and grey hair. They are just extras on a long list. On there own they are nothing but with all of the rest they are relevant.

You are completely ignoring the other evidence they are both well travelled, adventurers to a point, good with knives, story tellers. So it was not just the age and grey hair. They are just extras on a long list. On there own they are nothing but with all of the rest they are relevant.

Well traveled, adventurers and good fighters are all reasons why they are part of the group. Bad fighters either die or don't fight at all. If they don't fight, then they wouldn't be part of the group.

Pedron Niall and Valda are about as different as two men can be who would both qualify to lead the same military force. Valda is one of the slimiest characters in the series(in fact, as far as non-DF's go I would easily top 3 that ****er), while Niall is about as rational and sympathic as a Whitecloak can be.

I don't really agree at all with this. The closest one I can see is the last one, and as someone said, that's just the way that slutty girls act :P And Lanfear doesn't really count on that front. She wasn't shaking it for the audience, she was just that way with Rand. Because as far as she was concerned Rand was LTT, and she was already intimately aquainted with LTT....

Thom and Noal are similar, but distict.  I think the similarities are brought to the surface because they're traveling together and Noal seems to have stepped on Thom's role a bit.

One I always think of are Sorelia and Cadsuane.  They seem to be near the same character with different backgrounds.  Lini also seems to be a version of that character, and I lump in Alice, Siuan, and Setalle Anna on the "strong woman" concept alone.

You are completely ignoring the other evidence
Because it's pretty scant. Grasping at straws. What is similar about their characters?

Why Must i continualy repet myself. If you read my post's on this thread you will see what i think is similar about them, and WHY i think it is that way.

I would most definitely not call Berelain a slut.

Is she a flirt?

Yes

Is she a c*ck tease?

Definitely Yes

Those are words to describe a woman who promises or hints at more than she gives. Actually anybody in our world (and Randland as well) would say she is probably fairly sexually inexperienced. She would have to sleep with a lot more guys to become a genuine slut. I don't even think its fair to apply that label to anyone. Mat is way more of a slut than Berelain will ever be (for that matter so am I, and i'm a guy as well :-p). Berelain uses her body to gain political advantage and has very rarely had to give what she has promised.

• 2 weeks later...

You are completely ignoring the other evidence
Because it's pretty scant. Grasping at straws. What is similar about their characters?

Why Must i continualy repet myself. If you read my post's
I did. You said practically nothing about them. Oooh, they both handle knives well!

Archived