DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

MMORPG

Rune

Ok so I am way to lazy to look through a million posts...so question is, do you play any MMORPG's and if so what? I play WoW (of course!) on the Kil'jaedan server. Anyone else?

Any idea if any company has pitched the idea of a WoT MMORPG?

Runie - Highly Flammable.

I played WoW. I still have my account open, but my habit has been broken... lol. I have a 60 hunter (Alliance) on Moonrunner (and other random stuff on different servers). I played DAoC, EQ2, AO, SWG and a few others briefly and/or beta'd.

Not sure on a WoT MMO. It seems like I have heard ramblings in the past... maybe from reading something here... but I could be on crack. 8)

• Community Administrator

I personally feel a wot mmorpg is just destined for failure. I mean look at SWG it didnt get very many players, and that is a combination of the producers demanding it get released early, the immense costs to make an mmorpg, and of course, running a free mmorpg ussually ends in failure.. And a pay one for WoT would not work.. Not enough of us wotters would be willing to buy it, let alone pay a monthly fee for it. You'd probably get a few houndred, maybe a thousand.. and that would barely manage the costs..

I don't know how many of you have ever played NWN (Neverwinter Nights) but I was just looking around Bioware's site and they have a spotlight article on a persistent server (world) built around the Wheel of Time 3rd Age. I've never played there, but it might be interesting.

As with all NWN worlds, it's based on the d20 rules set and AD&D 3rd Edition for gameplay with some modiifcations so it fits better into the world and story line (Ogier = Half-Orc PC, Dwarven PC = Cairhienen due to their general lack of height).

I'm sure it's not a perfect marriage, but I've enjoyed both WoT and NWN seperately so it ought to be interesting to combine the two. I'm really interested to find out how they deal with channeling.

Here's the article I found:

http://nwn.bioware.com/players/profile_wheel_of_time.html

and the home page for the server:

http://wheeloftime.servegame.org/index.shtml

Dice

I've played quite a few MMO's, but with more than 100 days /played on my main toon, and still counting, World of WarCraft is the only one that has really grasped me since the old EQ days.

However, raiding Naxxramas takes way too much time, and my sleep schedule does not look like it will be normal for quite some time (at least until Kel'Thuzad's dead).

Servers: Ysondre, Lightning's Blade, Laughing Skull.

Waiting to start on Vanguard and the Warhammer MMO though.

I've played quite a few MMO's' date=' but with more than 100 days /played on my main toon, and still counting, World of WarCraft is the only one that has really grasped me since the old EQ days.

However, raiding Naxxramas takes way too much time, and my sleep schedule does not look like it will be normal for quite some time (at least until Kel'Thuzad's dead).

Servers: Ysondre, Lightning's Blade, Laughing Skull.

Waiting to start on Vanguard and the Warhammer MMO though.[/quote']

This is why you join a server where the prime time is approximately 3-4 hours before yours. IE lets say you work 7am to 4pm. And you want to play at 5pm and not 7pm. Join a server that prime time '7pm' is your equivolent of 5pm. Thus you gain 2 extra hours of raiding, and 2 extra hours of sleeping. :D

But doesn't it just suck, when you come up with those awesome plans to cater around your schedules, it is ussually after you've done alot of work on your main characters, and you realllly don't want to start over again? About the only way that'll change is if you change servers.. but then you'd lose your guild... *which again is another problem* Then of course, knowing my and other peoples luck, just after you changed servers, ect got all nestled into a guild.. Next thing you know your schedule is changed and now 5pm is 2 hours to early. :P

This is why you join a server where the prime time is approximately 3-4 hours before yours. IE lets say you work 7am to 4pm. And you want to play at 5pm and not 7pm. Join a server that prime time '7pm' is your equivolent of 5pm. Thus you gain 2 extra hours of raiding' date=' and 2 extra hours of sleeping. :D

But doesn't it just suck, when you come up with those awesome plans to cater around your schedules, it is ussually after you've done [b']alot[/b] of work on your main characters, and you realllly don't want to start over again? About the only way that'll change is if you change servers.. but then you'd lose your guild... *which again is another problem* Then of course, knowing my and other peoples luck, just after you changed servers, ect got all nestled into a guild.. Next thing you know your schedule is changed and now 5pm is 2 hours to early. :P

The problem with my guild is that we're working quite far into Naxxramas (actually, we've only got the Horsemen, Sapphiron, and Kel'Thuzad left), and as such we run into the problem that the only times where the game is lagfree enough is around midnight, meaning we start our clear at 9 or ten.

We had to start our Thaddius runs at 4 in the morning to have any chance at him, since the lag on him is unbearable (many interacting debuffs makes it too much for the server to handle). Anyways, I'm too deeply invested in my guilds to really leave.

I personally feel a wot mmorpg is just destined for failure. I mean look at SWG it didnt get very many players' date=' and that is a combination of the producers demanding it get released early, the immense costs to make an mmorpg, and of course, running a free mmorpg ussually ends in failure.. And a pay one for WoT would not work.. Not enough of us wotters would be willing to buy it, let alone pay a monthly fee for it. You'd probably get a few houndred, maybe a thousand.. and that would barely manage the costs..[/quote']

I've always thought that an open ended RPG along the lines of Morrowind or Oblivion would work better for WOT than an MMORPG. And I'm not just saying that because I don't want to pay monthly fees and because I don't have a high speed connection and therefore couldn't play an MMORPG anyway.

Well, okay, yes I am.

an mmo just isn't suited for a game based on wot. The only 'multiplayer' game that would really be suited for wot would be a type of total war, or age of empires type of game... Escentially one of the 'world management and massive armies battle agaisnt each other' games. 'Hense total war, since age of empires is more similar to wc3, where as total war involves more of the 'city building' then the 'war', but the 'war' is on a massive scale vs '20 guys'..

Single player RPG, yes an open ended rpg like oblivion would be perfect... And givin time a 'mod' for oblivion will be coming out based on wot..

And givin time a 'mod' for oblivion will be coming out based on wot..

You sound pretty sure. Do you know of something in the works/making one yourself?

Too bad my PC is 6 or 7 years old and won't play Oblivion. It'll play Morrowind though. Are there any WOT mods for that?

And givin time a 'mod' for oblivion will be coming out based on wot..

You sound pretty sure. Do you know of something in the works/making one yourself?

Too bad my PC is 6 or 7 years old and won't play Oblivion. It'll play Morrowind though. Are there any WOT mods for that?

I had put together a large team of people at one time to start working on an wot mod for Oblivion. *orginally for mororwind, but when we heard how soon oblivion would be coming out we moved to Oblivion. In morrowind we were nearly finished with the 'basic' shape of the landmass... And trust me it was HUGE.

*If you've played morrowind. The land mass litterally covered the entire map screen and about 8 inches out in every direction.*

Anyways, oblivions been released for several months, we were orginally going to get all the 'info down' before it came out, but between that time, most of the 'team' just kind of wandered away. Not to mention my pc has been on the 'fritz' so I can't even work on it.

The problem with these 'mods' is people don't want to 'work' on it, unless they know what they are doing, and that other people are making progress....

A WoT mod will come out in the near future. But I wouldn't expect it for another 2-4 years.

In morrowind we were nearly finished with the 'basic' shape of the landmass... And trust me it was HUGE.

*If you've played morrowind. The land mass litterally covered the entire map screen and about 8 inches out in every direction.*

I played Morrowind for a very small amount of time, and then quit as I didn't have time for it... (it was just a copy I had downloaded off Kazaa back in the day) so I didn't get much idea of the size. I plan on getting the GOTY edition at some point though.

2 or 3 years? By then I might have a PC that will run oblivion. Probably not, but maybe.

I personally feel a wot mmorpg is just destined for failure. I mean look at SWG it didnt get very many players' date=' and that is a combination of the producers demanding it get released early, the immense costs to make an mmorpg, and of course, running a free mmorpg ussually ends in failure..[/quote']

At its height SWG did have about 400,000 players, more than enough to keep it going indefinitely (EverQuest, in either incarnation, never had more than about 450,000 players). Its total collapse was more to do with the developer messing around with it to the point of utter ruin and not capturing that much-needed Star Wars feel.

I still feel the pain over the collapse of the Rome Total War mod for Wheel of Time. It looked seriously, seriously cool, but as usual the developers didn't have enough time to work on it properly.

OMG!!! A MMO THREAD!!!!

I feel like I just suddenly came home.

I have a 58 Night Elf Hunter on Eitrigg - can't take him to 60 yet cause I am avoiding that. I can't raid or PvP because I work 2nd shift and dont get home until Midnight as it is.

I also play Lineage II on Sieghardt server - just got my Dark Elf to levl 40 and made my 2nd Class change to Shillen Knight.

Been thinking about downloading Eve Online but I haven't found anyone else who plays it that can give me a true opinion of the game.

Been thinking about downloading Eve Online but I haven't found anyone else who plays it that can give me a true opinion of the game.

Well, like all MMO's it takes up far, far too much time, but it is very in depth. The PvP action is what really sets this game apart, I honestly think that everything else in the game is just a prop for EVE's PvP. A lot of people do like its mining and PvE action, but I've done everything from trading to pirating in the two years I've been playing, and there's nothing finer than hearing that wet *SCRUNCH* of a pod spilling its contents into space.

EDIT: I've just noticed that this makes me sound like a bit of a psychopath. I'm not really :twisted:

Well after precidely 4 days after my return to WoW I've already stopped playing. I find that I like to solo and the content in WoW is turning more and more Raid based so I kicked it loose.

Currently having a blast playing City of Villains and am expecting to get into Beta for Vanguard and hopefully Beta for LOTR Online as well.

Of course the little woman isn't happen about this so I usually just put her on /ignore anyway ;)

Rune - /out

Guest Karana Majin

I've been playing MMORPG's since the first Everquest came out. Sadly, I didn't like it, but my bf loved it. Something about the play annoyed me. However, by the time Dark Age of Camelot came out, I was ready to try again, played that to two level 50s before I bored out. Then EQ2, which I would still be playing if my bf hadn't quit.

Then we moved to City of Heroes, and now we are playing Dungeons & Dragons Online. My mission is to get a level 10 character, then I plan on quitting and going back to EQ2, although he is making mention of Vanguard as well. I usually follow him from game to game because it makes it easier to find a group! LOL

Archived