DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Mat and the Sea Folk

Mashiara Sedai

• Community Administrator

On a whim in Winter's Heart, Mat freed a Sea Folk damane.  Later on when he is sneaking out of the city with a kidnapped Tuon and co., the dice that were rolling in his head stopped.  The timing of it, even though he didn't notice, coincides with the escape of the Sea Folk channelers.

A few books later we learn that quite a few of the Sea Folk prisoners were able to escape.  In fact, they call it the Escape, since it was such a big deal for them to be free from the Seanchan. 

My question is whether Mat will become some type of Savior or mythical Hero in their legends, since Nestelle din Sakura South Star promised she wouldn't forget his help.

~Mashiara

• Community Administrator

I can't see how him marrying the Seanchan Empress would have anything to do with him being worshiped/admired by the Sea Folk.  Eventually, the Sea Folk will have to make a deal with the Seanchan, just like all the other major characters.  Even after Tarmon Gai'don, I don't think the Seanchan will just up and leave this side of the ocean.  They are here to stay and the Sea Folk will need to come and accept that.

I just wonder in the fourth age, if the Sea Folk will tell stories of Mat the Shorebound (or some such) and his heroic rescue of the channelers.  I think they are the only race/nationality (besides the Seanchan) that will have a part in their histories be devoted to Mat.

~Mashiara

I agree with Mashiara Sedai (Cool name by the way ;D). Look at how many heros we have around this world even if they come from countries or places that we don't really like. It's sad that as a general rule we end up seeing the worst people and blaming the countries or having a bad feeling about them. It's refreshing when it's the other way round.

Sea Folk Mistress of the Ships: I declare the 14th day of (month) to be hereafter known as The Escape. There will be festivals, singing, dancing and on the midnight of said day, a toast to our deliverer, Matthew Cauthon... Then we can start the Carousing.

That would be cool.

I agree with Mashiara Sedai (Cool name by the way ;D). Look at how many heros we have around this world even if they come from countries or places that we don't really like. It's sad that as a general rule we end up seeing the worst people and blaming the countries or having a bad feeling about them. It's refreshing when it's the other way round.

Sea Folk Mistress of the Ships: I declare the 14th day of (month) to be hereafter known as The Escape. There will be festivals, singing, dancing and on the midnight of said day, a toast to our deliverer, Matthew Cauthon... Then we can start the Carousing.

That would be cool.

That would be cool.

You mean Matrim Cauthon. And indeed, it would be cool.

Archived