DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Lost (Attn Isha)

tismeb4u

OOC: This is a recap of a larger post that can be found here on hte old boards: http://dmpsw.com/dr/viewtopic.php?t=518&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 This is to give the background on Linten's absence and set up the enviroment for his return.

IC:

He moved off into the darkness in the direction the frail fellow had gone; slivers of moonlight offering him a slight hint to the path he traveled. He held the cold isolation of the void still; emotionlessly he made his passage across the barren yard in search of Rion. A sudden pulse in the orb that floated over his shoulder brought him around quickly as he dropped into a ready stance; Saidin calling out to him with its sweet voice. Without thought he felt the taint role over his very soul; dark sickness, offering relentless suffering through death assaulted him and then faded into the background as the sweet life of the One Power flooded his senses once more.

His vision sharpened through the Power; searched the black horizon for a source. Something drew on Saidin; hungered for it and pulled at it like he had never felt. Fear battered on the void as a smith's hammer against hot steel. Fractures began to build a spider web across the void as it threatened to collapse. The river of life that was Saidin begged him, urged him on to match the draw but he refused it. Pushing the thought aside like a stray branch. What could draw that much ..... the thought lost as the sensation suddenly disappeared. Motionless Linten waited in the dark, Saidin at his ready yet he knew so little of it. As time pressed on and the silence remained he slowly returned to his normal stance. Nothing could be seen moving in night’s veil of darkness from where the sensation had come.

Turning back to the direction of his original travels he used the gift of sharpened vision that Saidin offered in exchange for the day it would consume his life. There in the distance he spotted the fellow once more, sitting with his hands wrapped around his legs. A cold twisted smile touched Linten's lips unbeknownst to him as he moved forward toward the shadowy shape. He released Saidin as he neared the man, the scouring decay of the taint trying to pull his life's thread with it. Rion suddenly rose to his feet, eyes searching the darkness that held Linten obscured for a brief moment. With eyes widening in disbelief and horror Rion backed slightly as Linten grew from the darkness before him.

"What do you....um..want. I um...am ....um...ssssorry I called you a monster. I didn't...um think... and I meant no....um offense I was just maa...making a..ppppoint. Please....it's just that....um..I didn't think..and the thi...things you said sent my mind scrambaling. It's um....I'm um...I apologize." His hands quickly moving behind his back. Linten already on edge from earlier, dropped once more into the ready, his mind's hand reaching uselessly toward Saidin. But the stark fear that radiated from the frail man's eyes was enough to bore through to Linten's mind and he relaxed his stance. Still in the void his voice came out cold and harsh, "Rion, it is not all your fault." As his voice met his own ears he realized the glacial edge it held and let his hold on the void slip away. Trying vainly to soften his voice but keep it from betraying the emotional whirlpool that tried to consume him; once more he addressed the man. Raising his hands slightly with his open palms up to try and calm the mans fears before he died of fright.

"Rion please ..... It was not your fault. You were only trying to speak your emotions, your thoughts ....." His voice began to drift toward a whisper as he almost lost himself to the emotions, "we are all men bound to emotion, cursed to its pain and anguish." His voice steadying and growing it's strength back, "I was wrong to force your hand as I did. Please forgive me, I mean you no harm. What you said hit ......" The tall imposing form that appeared from the darkness as shadow brought to life drew Linten’s attention away instantly. The void sprang up around Linten as his hand flew to the hilt over his shoulder only to close around air. He had forgotten he had left his sword driven into the ground out side the Inn.

It was Isha the shadow took form into; the weak hold on the void that Linten had just regained slipped like oil through his fingers as nervousness crept over his face. Only when he bumped into Rion's shoulder did he realized he had been backing up the whole time; his hand still clutching air over his shoulder. "I'd like a few words alone with Linten if you don't mind, Rion." The words slide across the dark expanse between them offering no warmth. Dread began to grow in the pit of his stomach as anger tried to take control of his hands. His mind was a wash of confliction; wanting to draw steel on the man who's very existence in the dark seemed to threaten him; to turn and run before the battle hardened vet could cut him down; to drop to his knee's before his mentor, asking for forgiveness, for purpose, for .... why.

OOC: Welcome back mentor

Corin Danveer

White Tower Guard

Promised to Sirayn Sedai

Linten al'Dracain

BT Trainee, Lost mentee of Isha

"Life is wonderful. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that we trouble over." - Isaac Asimov

ooc: thanks... it's good to be back...

ic:

As soon as Linten discovered someone was there his hand went to his sword hilt and he fumbled for a ready stance. But his hand gripped air and he backed away from the tall giant. 'Is he frightened of me now?' Isha thought, unsure of what emotions he felt, anger, disappointment, sadness, self-doubt and others flowed through his still turbulent mind. When the boy siezed the Source, Isha refrained from grabbing it as a reflex, he couldn't give his mentee any more reason to afraid of him.

"Where's your sword?" asked the Dedicated, voice devoid of emotion. "You'll need it yet tonight I don't doubt. Go get it then come back here. Now." the only emotion in those cold hard words was authority and the expectation to be obeyed and not even seeing the boy go, Isha turned to Rion.

"I'd like to apologise for not stopping Linten sooner. I'm not sure why he acted the way he did tonight, I've never seen him like that before. He's going with me now, and I hope I can knock some sense into him, however, if you ever want any help with training or anything else... just ask me, or Dash, I'm sure he'd oblige as well." The pause he left was dilberate, and with all Rion's intelligence he'd be able to understand what Isha was implying: learning to defend himself.

ooc: okay... Isha's going to manage a very poor Gateway and manage to take Linten and him away from the Tower (not saying yet...surprise...) and if he needs to be...he will face up to any punishment warranted by leaving Tower Grounds as a Dedicated...

Asha'man Isha Talcontar

Tallest, Ugliest Asha'man

Estel Sedai of the Blue Ajah

Promised to Orion, Bonded to Matthias

Lieutenant Carnhain Stromblade

Rowul's Nephew

ADL of the Band

Alianna Karalev, Former Thiefcatcher

The woman who lost everything

"Where's your sword?" The words hit Linten like a quarter staff and he released Saidin immediately. His mind recognized his mentors voice and a shocked cold enveloped him spurred on by the frosted edge in his voice. "You'll need it yet tonight I don't doubt. Go get it then come back here." Linten could feel the blood drain from his face as the words echoed in his mind. Was he really going to make Linten spar him, with real edges? How could he hope to survive against the battle-hardened vet. His body was frozen in place as fear grasped at him in the dark.

"Now." The word was not loud, not forced, not angry. It was flat and cold like steel; spoke of authority; challenged to be denied. Linten did not even remember his mentor turning, his feet moving his body at a dead run for the Inn. Racing through he dark he trip several times, tumbling across the ground only to regain his feet before the motion stopped and continue to the Inn. A slice of moon light lite the Inn and it's surrounding area; the sword glinting in it's soft glow. Skidding to a stop, a small dust cloud rising around his feet he pulled the sword free of the earths grip as he pivoted to leave.

Bolting back in the direction he came from he practically ran over someone; some form in the dark that he paid no attention to. Sliding the sword back into the scabbard over his shoulder as he made his way. His mind turned over and over with possibilities of what might come to pass once he returned to the spot where his mentor waited. Fear tried to freeze his mind from its icy ball in the pit of his stomach. He had been trying to apologies to Rion, now he was afraid of what his mentor's mind held for him. The scar that ran along his face seemed to create a sinister sneer in the dark with Linten's present mindset, adding to fear’s grip.

Skidding to a stop in front of his mentor’s stone carved face; Linten opened his mouth to explain what he was doing. To inform his mentor that he had been out here to apologies to Rion; that Isha had surprised him. He would never have acted like that had he known the man was the one materializing from the shadows of darkness. But before the sound could escape his panting throat his mentor cut him off, the words strangled in his throat

Corin Danveer

White Tower Guard

Promised to Sirayn Sedai

Linten al'Dracain

"Life is wonderful. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that we trouble over." - Isaac Asimov

Swinging around in time to face the man hurtling at them, Isha looked coldly upon his mentee. Seeing the sword above Linten's shoulder, Isha grunted a recognition, cutting off what the boy had been about to say, and swung back to Rion. "I suggest you get some sleep, Rion. Good night."

Then, without a word, Isha strode off into the night. By the grass and dirt stains on Linten's black coat and breeches, he had run the entire way and tripped numerous times. 'Is he that afraid of me?' Isha thought, his mind a maelstrom of emotions yet none touching his face.

The towering Dedicated had no idea whether Linten tried to talk to him or not, and if he did Isha ignored him, so the entire walk seemed longer and worse than it really was, at least it seemed worse to Isha.

Finally arriving at their destination, Isha noted the surprise in Linten's face as they arrived at the Travelling Grounds. He hoped he could do this, he thought he could. Stepping over the rope that separated the Travelling Grounds from the rest of the Tower, the Shienaran siezed saidin.

Dipping through the oily, slick Taint into the fire beneath, Isha pulled deeply on the One Power. More and more he took into himself until he held nearly as much as he had before by the inn. The bliss was so much it was pain and only iron self-control kept him from drawing more and burning himself out and probably destroying at least part of the Tower and Linten along with it.

Then, weaving pure Spirit as he had seen countless Asha'man do before he made a Gateway. It took far longer for him than it did them to make the vertical slash rotate into a small hole in the Pattern even Linten would have to duck through.

Bending almost double, Isha stepped through the Gateway onto a large plain of grass. To the South, a city with its keep rising high off the rolling grassland could be seen, and to the north thick forest.

Even though it was summer, a chill winds blew through the land around Fal Dara and bit through the black wool of the two men's coats, though they ignored it. Everything was covered in shadow, and only the howl of the wolves in the hills let the giant man know no Trollocs or Myrdraal prowled the night.

Letting the weave dissipate behind Linten, Isha strode off once more, looking back only to check that Linten was right behind him.

After an hour's walk, they found themselves on the top of a hill, overlooking Fal Dara. There, a single gravestone, only slightly weathered, jutted out from the blowing grass. On it read simply 'May the last embrace of the Mother welcom you home General Faerthines Talcontar'.

After a moment of silence in which time memories flooded through Isha's mind almost bringing him back to tears, the Dedicated spoke, his voice tight and dry from the effort it took to conceal his emotions from the younger man beside him.

"I don't know why you did what you did tonight, or why you no longer believe in hope, but maybe I can knock some sense into your brain. I don't know where you father's grave is, but this is my father's. He died fighting the Shadow because he knew that there was still hope for humankind to rid the world of the Shadow and live in peace, even if it wasn't in his lifetime, or mine, or even my children's liftime. He fought for the hope of the world? I fight for the same as he and to make sure that his death doesn't extinguish that hope. What do you fight for Linten? Have you forgotten your father? Have you forgotten why you are even at the Tower? Maybe you should start questioning yourself instead of others. Maybe you can find the answers you're looking for in you."

Asha'man Isha Talcontar

Rowul's Nephew

ADL of the Band

Everything seemed so ominous in the darkness; shadows from the moon’s light slid and wavered. The light natural sounds from the surrounding plain and forests creatures twisted in his mind to create danger and fright in the darkest of nights black pools. Linten found himself having to take a hurried step to keep up with the tall Shienaran’s strides as he stalked through the yard. They where moving away from the training grounds and the barracks. Is he so determined to punish me that he wants no one else to see his wrath unleashed. The though tried to pull his feet back, to turn them and run. Only sheer determination forced his body forward behind the silent shadow moving with purpose in front of him. He had done this to himself, no one else was to blame; everything he received was at his own hand’s doing.

As they arrived at the familiar traveling grounds, puzzlement painted Linten’s face as he sought out his mentor’s eyes. Only to find his back as he stepped over the rope and into the grounds. Why would he take him here to met more arrivals, the way the last had gone it made no sense. The sensation of Isha seizing Saidin brought Linten’s eyes up, his attention focused on his mentor. Asha’man created gateways not Soldiers or Dedicated; the thought brought back the ice of fear in his stomach. He had pushed his mentor so far that he was using the grounds to mask what he was about to do to his mentee with the power. Linten steeled himself in the void and prepared for Isha’s wrath.

Instead the familiar pinpoint of light appeared before the man and slowly elongated into a slice. With a wavering unsteady motion it began to rotate open. Linten’s mouth was practically hanging open in shock. His mentor so at a lost with his mentee was taking him away form the Tower, away to …. With the thought frozen in the front of his mind Linten ducked and stepped through the small opening in front of him wondering if he would ever see the Black Tower again. The chill in the wind as he appeared in the field the gateway was set to bit through the black cloth and scratched at the void. It was like nowhere Linten had ever seen. A keep stretched out high above to the south and a thick dark forest to the north. Yet he had little time to orient himself as Isha continued in his solemn progress, once again on the move. He looked back and Linten though perhaps now he would find out what was to happen to him. Yet it was a brief glance to ensure he still followed.

There arrival at the top of a small hill was noted only by the single cold head stone of a grave. Isha seemed to take a moment to gather thoughts or perhaps prepare himself to meet his mentee. Linten took the time to read the stone, the last name drawing a quick sideways glance at his mentor. Could this be …. Isha’s words again cut off his thoughts, his voice sounding as if he fought to keep it empty. “What do you fight for Linten?†The words brought confusion to his mind as he looked up from the grave to the flat emotionless eyes of his mentor. Tightness showed at the edges, else Isha’s face seemed a stone carving devoid of emotion. He started to open his mouth, to tell the man he had not even had the time to place a proper marker at his fathers head, especially not stone to endure all time with his memory. “Have you forgotten your father?†The question could have been cold steel run deep through his heart for the effect it left. Linten sunk to his knee’s before the grave, his eyes back on the soft grass covered mound before him, redness rimed them, tears on the verge of spilling down his face. How could the man say that? How could he even possible think he could forget his father. His hands clenched in his lap, knuckles whitening under the strain; teeth clamped shut tight. “Have you forgotten why you are even at the Tower? Maybe you should start questioning yourself instead of others. Maybe you can find the answers you're looking for in you." Anger, hot as a blacksmiths forge surged up in him as the words continued to twist the blade in his heart. He made it sound like Linten had forsaken the light, embraced the Father of Lies. Fury flared in his eyes as he slowly rose to his feet his eyes still down and turned away as if to leave.

With a sudden shift his hand had the blade sliding free of it’s sheath and slicing toward Isha as he spun back in a some what jerky movement. The clang as his blade met the solid block of Isha’s echoed in the silence of the hill top. But it reverberated in his head and shattered the anger that threatened to overwhelm him; anger that seemed to be fed from something unseen, uncontrolled. The sound of the metal blades that normally offered death, here offered life. With his eyes going wide in shock at what he had done, Linten dropped the sword and ran down the hill toward the forest’s edge. He only made it about half way down before he fell to his knee’s, shoulders shaking as sobs wracked his body; tears flowing freely to darken the thighs of his black uniform.

Corin Danveer

White Tower Guard

Promised to Sirayn Sedai

Linten al'Dracain

Linten sunk to his knees as Isha’s questions bit colder than the wind that tried to rip their black coats from their backs. From what the monstrous man could see of his mentee’s covered face, it was tight and emotions played across it ever changing between anger, sadness and loss. Quick as lightning though, anger prevailed over the others as steel shone frostily in the light of the Shienaran moon.

Rather than seizing the Source- making that small tiny Gateway had taken almost all the strength he had and he maintained the Void partly because it kept the exhaustion at bay- he drew his sword. Linten’s strike met Unfolding the Fan as Isha drew and blocked in the same motion. Smoothly, the sword cut the air as it swung to Isha’s high shoulder is Lion on the Hill, he prayed that his mentee- even in his state of emotional confusion- would have the sense to not attack again, Linten barely knew how to use the steel he had bared twice tonight already and Isha had had lessons even before he had come to the Tower and bettered his skills.

However after a moment of fury, Linten’s face turned from red to pale as quickly as a Myrdaal’s blade could run you through. Dropping the blade, he hurtled down the hill falling after going only halfway. Picking up the fallen blade, the Dedicated followed slowly.

The vast emptiness and silence of the plains was broken by the sobs coming from the shadowed, shaking body of the Soldier lying on the ground. Here, but a few miles south of the Blightborder, where hope was often the only thing that kept these Borderlanders going was a man who had lost all hope in his fight, the Creator and mankind itself.

Isha sat down, the boy’s blade across his knees, and watched as tears streamed down Linten’s face. ’What is he crying over? His father? Or my words? Am I being too harsh?’ Questions. So many questions. How come there were always questions but no answers?

“Why have you lost hope, Linten?†his voice was soft and held none of the edge it had before. “Hope is all I’ve ever had since my father’s death and my life is fine even though I hunger for vengeance I can never satisfy, yet still I hope. Where’s you hope? Hope is all we have, don’t loose it.â€

Asha'man Isha Talcontar

Rowul's Nephew

ADL of the Band

The quiet arrival of his mentor went unnoticed by Linten as the tension, the lose, the questions; all his emotions streamed out in the tears that ran down his face and soaked the thighs of his black pants. So much anger held for so long; loss that slowly ate away at his inner control; unanswered questions that drove sleep from him night after night. The grave and his mentor's words had driven him to the point of a balloon pricked by a pin; all the tension exploded from him in the instant their swords had met.

“Why have you lost hope, Linten?†The words floated through the fog, disembodied and soft, offering warmth and understanding. He turned tear blurred red eyes toward his mentor as he sat cross-legged beside him, the soft glint of bare steel in his lap. Through the distorted image his eyes brought to his mind he made the blade to be his own, the one he had drew on his own mentor. How far had he slide, did he even recognise the boy before him anymore? Slowly his eyes climbed to meet his mentor's, the words wrapping around him as arms of strength offering caring, understanding, support. “Hope is all I’ve ever had since my father’s death and my life is fine even though I hunger for vengeance I can never satisfy, yet still I hope. Where’s you hope? Hope is all we have, don’t loose it.â€

His voice sounded distant; hollow to his own ears, "hope seems to elude me mentor. It plays on the edge of my mind, forces me to chase it in vain; mocks me." He looked slowly across the land toward the forests edge, "darkness seems to shadow my every move. Drives questions in front of me I can not answer, I can not escape," the last coming as a whisper. "It's like I've never stopped fighting, I'm so very tired ..... Some nights as I lay awake I welcome eternal slumbers loving arms. To finally rest, to sleep." His eyes once more sought out Isha's, "how can I have hope when all I crave is separation from the pain?"

Corin Danveer

White Tower Guard

Promised to Sirayn Sedai

Linten al'Dracain

Drenn and Isha both made their feelings of him known to him, finally. Not that he didn't already feel it in every glance, or word spoken to him. Not that he couldn't feel their dislike as if it were waves of static negativity washing over him. So what? He cared for the Black Tower, he just didn't care for all of the repercussions of being a male channeller. Thinking of them as something special or even equal to the Aes Sedai was a huge mistake. Yes, the Lord Dragon seemed awesome in strength and Power, his adventures seemed like those out of stories his mother used to tell him before bed when he was young. Even still, being apart of the Lord Dragon's stories hadn't sunken in.

Dark eyebrows shot up to the ceiling as Drenn apologised to Onyx. Quickly averting his eyes and attempting an icy stare, the Andoran Dedicated mumbled. "Don't worry about it, man." How was he going to act cold towards men that were trying to reconcile with him? Dedicated Isha suprised him next. The huge Shienaran ,who must have been enraged that his Mentee had chosen Onyx's example to follow, apologised as well. Luckily, Onyx didn't have to do or say anything because Isha simply nodded to him and followed Lintin and Rion out the door.

"Burn me!" He cursed. "I'm not here to make any bloody friends!" He yelled. Covai and Dashiva seemed to turn from their conersation for a moment and eyed Onyx as if he had interrupted them. Atleast, Drenn was there to hear him. Perhaps he could go back on what he said...no, Onyx never did that. He could kill a man out of pure rage, with the addition of untrained Saidin searing through his veins, but he could never go back on his word. The Andoran was loyal, now all of his brothers knew it. Brothers? Had he actually thought that word. Impossible.

SHaking his head in disgust, he threw up his hands in frustration and stormed out the door. Immediately he could feel someone channelling and headed in that direction. It was dark, but being aware of men that could channel seemed to come fairly easily to him. Nodding to himself, he could definately feel that there was probably more than one man that could channel up ahead. Instead of running up to see what other kind of tasks he could do to blow his cover, he hung back in the shadows and listened. Leaning back against a tree, with his features casting shadows on his face from the moonlight, Onyx's eyes glistened in the dark.

Onyx Drakor

Dedicated

OOC: Someones gotta tell on you, right? Muahahahaha

Serena Morrigan- Aes Sedai of the Blue Ajah~Bonded to Thera Trakelyn

Onyx Drakor~Dedicated

“’Duty is heavier than a mountain, death light as a feather.’ Would you die and leave your father unavenged? Would you throw away your life when there is so much you can do yet? There is power within you, boy that many men would crave to have even if it does carry the price it carries. The Dragon Reborn doesn’t have the One Hundred Companions anymore, but he has us. The world’s hope is in the Dragon Reborn, but even he had no hope if we won’t stand by him. Even madmen are better than nothing against the Dark One. Will you leave the rest of your loved ones to die by the Shadow’s Hand, just like your father? Will you run away like a coward? Or will you fight like the man you are? It’s your choice boy, you can return with me to the Farm now, or you can run away from it all and I won’t stop you.â€

Standing, Isha seized saidin and drew deeply as he prepared to weave a Gateway once more. He hoped Linten would follow him, but he would be true to is word and if the boy left, Isha wouldn’t chase him.

ooc: hehe...Isha's getting in trouble...maybe I'll turn him into the next Estel since she's been raised

Asha'man Isha Talcontar

Rowul's Nephew

ADL of the Band

Corin Danveer

Tower Guard

Tied to the Flame

Linten al'Dracain

Linten listened to the wisdom Isha played out to him; felt himself become even more hollow and empty. How can he not understand the bitterness that eats at me hourly. The feeling of failure that I could not save the ones who needed me most. A dark empty room had more life then the sound of his voice, "if I could trade them places I would. My life is the Dragon's now, I have nothing left to live for. I was willing to live or die as he needed; but even that has no worth now." Cold streaks, bright red, from tears itched his skin as the salt dried it. His eyes remained on the forest line to the north, "I thirst for revenge; for blood. No longer is it for those that hurt my family, it is to cause pain and suffering to anything for the dark. Anything that hunts a man who can channel I thirst to destroy," even those Tar Valon witches. The finishing unvoiced thought caused his hands to close in tense fists.

He did not know why that thought had become so prevalent in the last week, but it seemed to consume him when ever the thought of an Aes Sedai came up. The Red were the ones that hunted men; but all where in an allegiance to the other and where another color might not out right hunt men as the Red did. He did not doubt they would turn them over to the Red as if passing a simple hand towel to be cleaned. Enslave them for the Dragon’s purpose or kill them were they stand. At one time it mattered … more and more the mattering is less. It almost disturbed him how easily he seemed to accept the cold thought; the voice in the dark that gave it life. How could Mother Earths embrace not be a better alternative then to have him loose in this world.

Looking back over his shoulder he watched as the gateway rotated into shape. His eyes scanned back to the grass near him where Isha had left his blade; watched the moon light reflect along it‘s edge. A reflection that offer peace and tranquility through violence. He reached out and closed his hand around the hilt; felt a completeness flood him. His eyes focused on the tree line dark and ominous in the near distance as the pulsing orb just out of sight called sweetly to him. The dark forest offered death and decay; somewhere in there answers called to him. He felt it's pull and welcomed the death and pain it promised as he rose to his feet. Saidin sung to him with an enticing voice; offered him power and pleasure unimaginable. Looking back toward his mentor one final time he turned his back to him; shoulders set and stepped out toward the dark. "I'm sorry Isha ..... I can’t ..... For the safety of others I can’t," his voice was quiet and distant; an edge of acceptance threaded throughout it.

Linten al'Dracain

Guest Estel

Isha let the weave disappate behind him. He didn't dare turn to look because it would make it even more real. He had lost his very first mentee. He was a failure as a mentor. Bitterly he stalked away from the Travelling Grounds. The big man supposed he would have to tell Dalinar about this- after all, he had woven a Gateway and taken a Soldier there without orders and now that Soldier was stuck there.

But not now, Isha wasn't ready to face anyone yet. For the second time that night, tears rolled down scarred cheeks. As he walked, he kicked savagely at leaves and other debris. "Damn you boy." he cursed. "I had put my hopes in you and you got and smash them. Damn you Linten."

The sensation was strong as Linten walked toward the tree line, Saidin sung to him and he could feel the power Isha was channelling to create the gateway. But it did not last long. Within several steps the sensation was gone; snapped off like a flame snuffed out. His steps faltered slightly. No sound met him on the wind; his mentor was true to his word. Isha had left him here alone; he did not need to turn around to know this. A silent ache in his chest grew as he realised he may never see the big man again.

It's better this way; you'll see, the voice in the shadows of his mind was his and was not at the same time. He stopped on the edge of the dark and twisted tree line. Now there would be only himself and the voice whether it was his or not he cared little now. Ahead lay death and he welcomed its call with bittersweet acceptance. It took little time to sink into the void now with all the training Isha had given to him. From in it's isolated darkness Saidin sung the sweetest of songs to him. The glowing golden orb over his shoulder whispered of power and strength. It offered him life beyond measure and pleasure untold. He reached out mentally and grasped it with force.

Fire and ice crashed over his body as he touched the One Power. A river of molten lava; oil slicked and covered in decay scoured or his bones and tried to sweep his spirit with it. His stomach twisted from the stench and vileness that coated the source. The Dark ones taint coated him like a thin film of oil and for a moment as he stood before the forest he almost welcomed the taint. It reminded him he was not dead yet; sweet joy bursting in on him from the torrent river that was Saidin. So easily he could draw it all in, fill him self with the mesmerizing pleasure of it's touch and end all his pain as it destroyed him. Not yet Linten ... Not yet, With a visible shudder he pushed the urge away; held only what he could comfortable handle like in training.

With Saidin weakly at his call; limited in knowledge of the many weaves that could be used. He pushed through the forbidding foliage and moved into an unnatural darkness that felt wrong; felt death and decay brush over him at the touch of the plants. Death would be dealt this day and every day he lived to see until the creator took him home or a meaning to live returned to him. Silence sprung up around him; nothing moved as the forest edge swept closed in his passing sealing off the wind that had blown blustery across the plain.

It was time.

Linten al'Dracain