DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rand needs his hand back

Lord Monty

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I seriously hate that Rand got his hand blown off and I doubt I'm the only one. Anyone have any ideas if or how the "One handed Dragon" situation is going to get fixed?  ???

He uses his Sa'angreal+callandor+whatever other angreal he can find and balefire the shit out of semirhage = hand back and possible the entire imperial court of seanchan, profit!

I seriously hate that Rand got his hand blown off and I doubt I'm the only one. Anyone have any ideas if or how the "One handed Dragon" situation is going to get fixed?  ???

Someone is going to have to donate a hand.... and since you brought it up, I think it should be you. :)

Stronger in that you're more likely to be able to deal with further trauma after having something bad happen to you.  Not in the sense that you are now claustrophobic, a cripple, argue with voices in your head and can't use your powers for fear that a madman in your head will seize them and that you'll fall over at the same time.

An underlying theme for Rand in the last 4 books(at least) has been that he has been mentally and physically so beat up that he will need to heal in some way(at least mentally) before the Last Battle even begins.

While there has been a side effect here and there that has proven useful(LTT's knowledge) generally all of Rand's hardships have left him weaker and less able to deal with situations then before.

For fear of sounding like Cads, Rand has become hard...not strong. There is a very important difference.

I seriously hate that Rand got his hand blown off and I doubt I'm the only one. Anyone have any ideas if or how the "One handed Dragon" situation is going to get fixed?  ???

Someone is going to have to donate a hand.... and since you brought it up, I think it should be you. :)

I would gladly give my hand for my Lord Dragon  ;D

I hope it gets healed but I don't think it will.  I have been kind of hoping that Nynaeve would somehow figure out how to heal it.  No more epic sword fights for Rand I guess

Or some seriously epic swords fights since he'll only have one hand.

As Rand pointed out he'll need to relearn the sword all over again.  With Tarmon Gaidon approaching its doubtful he'll have time.  This move really boggles me, and I don't understand why RJ did it?

He's set Rand up the whole time to be a great swordsman.  Why take the hand away?  Other than further gimping our poor hero what purpose does it serve? I know it obviously upset a lot of readers =(

I think perhaps we need to a little bit more faithful.  RJ knew what he was doing and did for a reason. We just don't know what that reason is.  We may end up being justified or may not.  As for the sword fighting, I'm not sure it's possible for Rand to be a blademaster with one hand.  He'll have to fight sideways instead of square among other things.  And the funny thing is is that losing a hand is the least of his problems. Poor Rand.  I don't think he'd have any chance in TG right now. Can't swordfight. Has difficulties with channeling.  Which is another thing I've wondered.  Is there anything besides OP strength that makes Rand the Dragon Reborn?  It says that only the Dragon Reborn can win Tarmon Gai'don so I'm assuming that someone with equal OP strength as Rand would have no chance at TG. But why?

I hope it gets healed but I don't think it will.  I have been kind of hoping that Nynaeve would somehow figure out how to heal it.  No more epic sword fights for Rand I guess

Or some seriously epic swords fights since he'll only have one hand.

As Rand pointed out he'll need to relearn the sword all over again.  With Tarmon Gaidon approaching its doubtful he'll have time.  This move really boggles me, and I don't understand why RJ did it?

He's set Rand up the whole time to be a great swordsman.  Why take the hand away?  Other than further gimping our poor hero what purpose does it serve? I know it obviously upset a lot of readers =(

It was a choice by Jordan to have things turn even more dire for Rand. To strip away all that Rand holds dear to make things feel hopeless. It goes along with his difficulty in channeling. As we talked about before, Rand is still on the "suffering" part of the redemptive hero storyline, even if you are impatient to get that part over with ;)

In the end, Rand will regain his ability to channel effectively, I think, but will not regain the hand. The channeling is his real weapon now. Short of wandering into a stedding or Far Madding, there's not much that Rand can do with a sword that he couldn't do a thousand times better with the power anyway.

Or hey...maybe the bodyswap theory is going to happen :P

Archived