DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Gholam?

breakneckwalrus

Do you think the Gholam will chase Mat all the way to the ToG? It'd be interesting seeing a final confrontation between the two. Perhaps Moiraine will contribute to its death? She could have seen her release from the tower and asked for a gift from the Finn.

On another note, do you think the True Power can harm them? It never said either way. How does Morry react to him?

Also... Will TG see the release of the other 5 Gholam? That is, if they were ever sealed?

Interesting thought. =D

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you think the Gholam will chase Mat all the way to the ToG? It'd be interesting seeing a final confrontation between the two. Perhaps Moiraine will contribute to its death? She could have seen her release from the tower and asked for a gift from the Finn.

On another note, do you think the True Power can harm them? It never said either way. How does Morry react to him?

Also... Will TG see the release of the other 5 Gholam? That is, if they were ever sealed?

Interesting thought. =D

Well, as far as I know Moridin doesn't know about the gholam. When Moridin was in Ebou Dar with the gholam, they never met. Although, the gholam sensed that the TP had been used. It didn't recognize it as the TP, but noted that it smelt different.

"Curious, it peered around the room, but there was nothing beyond the crushed corpse on the floor tiles. And a ... feel ... of something. Not the One Power, but something that made it ... itch, if not quite in the same way."

Gholam POV in TPOD Ch 2.

As far as I know Sammy was the last to command the gholam. I don't think the other gholam were specifically said to sealed. Its unknown if they survived.

We do not know which way the gholam would go.  It could follow Mat, or it could go toward Elayne, or perhaps both paths could become like blocked and it cause chaos at the location of the moment.

These might depend on whether some Light-sided channeler/channelers come to Mat's camp through a gateway.

The gholam's killing spree in Ebou Dar, that might have been Moridin's orders; orders probably given after the gholam stopped by the dead man.  Sammael's orders were to kill the girls and to kill Mat; it seems doubtful that Sammael gave other orders since the gholam's POV does not mention any other.

About True Power; since One Power users are the only darkfriends that can use it, I would guess it would not be able to harm gholams either.

About the other 5, the books do not tell one way or the other about whether they survived or not.

If author is smart, he will use the Gholam the same way Tad Williams did in "War of the Flowers".

In that book, Tad Williams has a very Gholam-like character, a single minded construct hellbent on it's target's death.  In a pivotal scene, right when the bad guys have the hero in their clutches and there seems to be no escape, the Gholam blunders into the scene and disrupts the bad guys advantage, allowing the hero to save the day.

In the same way, it would be great if the Alefinn have Matt dead to rights and just in the nick of time, the golem shows up and tears them apart, just because they are in the way.

In KPD ch 25, Mat believes the Gholam is following Luca’s circus that is on its way to Murandy.  If the Gholam can sense saidar then it can change course and follow Mat easily.

I believe that we may see the Gholam one more time either before Mat enters the Tower of Ghenjei or right after he comes out.

I believe that we may see the Gholam one more time either before Mat enters the Tower of Ghenjei or right after he comes out.

Haha.  I just pictured that in my mind.

Moiraine: "Thank you Thom and Mat for that heroic rescue.  Now I can go tell Rand the secret of how to beat the Dark O-" *gurk*

Killed by a gholam the moment she steps out of the Tower.  People would be livid.

Since the Gholam existed after the True power was discovered and used, i would think that Aginor and whoever else was involved with their creation would have thought of it to make them immune.

Im kind of leaning toward the Gholam turning up in Mat's band, plenty of food there, and enough people to get lost in, I guess.

Also didnt the Gholam say in Ebou Dar that Sammy wanted Mat dead more that Elayne? So considering its never ending nature to kill its prey, even though pain is a new thing to it, it will still go after him, as exampled in the attack in Winters Heart.

If the Gholam Kills Moiraine i will scream like a little girl and throw my book across the room.....then run to pick it up and keep reading.

Since the Gholam existed after the True power was discovered and used, i would think that Aginor and whoever else was involved with their creation would have thought of it to make them immune.

But the TP can only be used with the DO's blessing, so Aginor might not have made it immune, so that the Forsaken could have some kind of a handle on it.

But the TP can only be used with the DO's blessing, so Aginor might not have made it immune, so that the Forsaken could have some kind of a handle on it.

Your probably right, i did not rly think through that the dark one controls who uses it. if the dark one wanted one of his own killed he wouldn't just let him walk around with the TP.

Along that line, sorta, was it Birgitte that said the forsaken were scared of the gholams, i dont think she would know about the true power, ( only non dark person who knows would be rand)

if it was one of the forsaken that said that then we may have the answer

Six Gholam were created by Aginor; Three male, three female, and unfortunately one survived in a stasis box Sammael found.

Eventually Mat or someone will figure out that silver is what burns it..then they'll make nothing but silver arrows and sword xD

At least until it dies.

RJ implied that it was the fact that the gholam and medallion function with a similar nature which allowed the medallion to hurt the gholam.  I believe that it was a question of the week.

Quote from: Vhar Khoebhan Xudan on September 29, 2009, 08:39:50 PM

Six Gholam were created by Aginor; Three male, three female, and unfortunately one survived in a stasis box Sammael found.

Eventually Mat or someone will figure out that silver is what burns it..then they'll make nothing but silver arrows and sword xD

At least until it dies.

RJ implied that it was the fact that the gholam and medallion function with a similar nature which allowed the medallion to hurt the gholam.  I believe that it was a question of the week.

I believe that to be the case also. However, if silver can hurt it and silver arrows are to be used, hmmmm, who does that bring to mind. Hint she already has at least one silver arrow.

i think it would be so cool if the third to come to moiraine's rescue was the gholam. Following mat stalking him and getting in the way of those foxes allowing mat to escape with moiraine and mat.the aelfinns would go crazy and i'm sure they would enjoy a new kind of "meal".i don,t think mat has what it takes to kill the gholam, he doesn't use saidin and the only real weakness it has is saidin

i think it would be so cool if the third to come to moiraine's rescue was the gholam. Following mat stalking him and getting in the way of those foxes allowing mat to escape with moiraine and mat.the aelfinns would go crazy and i'm sure they would enjoy a new kind of "meal".i don,t think mat has what it takes to kill the gholam, he doesn't use saidin and the only real weakness it has is saidin

I am pretty sure that the Gholam is immune to both sides of the source. And the only weakness that it has is the medallion that Mat carries with him that is also immune to the source. Meaning that Mat would have what it takes to kill it. I could be mistaken...... but i don't think so.

Do we know if any of the forsaken besides Sammael know about the Gholam? I can't remember.

I think he told or implied to Graendal that he had one but that's it.

Moridin & the gholam spent sometime in Ebou Dar around the same time, maybe they encountered each other.

Like I speculated in my other post, the gholam's killing spree might have been Moridin's orders.

By how fast Mat's band goes and by the gholam going after Luca's circus (which is relatively slow), there seems slight chance of the meeting occurring before entering the tower.

Right after coming out, that would depend on a number of things:

-how fast the gholam can catch up

-how much time Mat & Thom spend inside

-the direction they go afterward

Though if the meeting happens after Moiraine's rescue, maybe Moiraine could try indirect weaves on the gholam.

If those do not work this process likely would:

1.  Some channeler (or channelers linked) create a box of Air around the gholam; but leave a big enough opening for Mat's hand and arm to go through

2.  Mat reach through the opening with the foxhead medallion in hand and press until the gholam is dead.

3.  When the gholam is dead, remove the box of Air.

Other methods that might work:

-Surround the gholam with Fire.

-Somehow get the gholam to chase someone (or somehow push it) into a stedding.

-Cadsuane/Nynaeve try their terangreal against it.

:D

gholam vs the aelfinns is mouth watering. just imagine their faces when the find out that this fellow is a little bit 'different' from the meal they normally consume  :D

The stedding method is truly intriguing. I like the possibilities. I would think that the Gholam would be completely undone by it.

Random thought: If a stedding nullifies Saidin/Saidar then would an a'dam work? Wouldn't the damane just be able to remove it without the hand cramps or any of the other preventative measures built into the ter'angreal? That might be a good place for Rand and Tuon to meet.

Sorry it just popped into my head and I had to ask.

Though if the meeting happens after Moiraine's rescue, maybe Moiraine could try indirect weaves on the gholam.

If those do not work this process likely would:

1.  Some channeler (or channelers linked) create a box of Air around the gholam; but leave a big enough opening for Mat's hand and arm to go through

2.  Mat reach through the opening with the foxhead medallion in hand and press until the gholam is dead.

3.  When the gholam is dead, remove the box of Air.

This will not work as the air walls would be held together with the power, and as soon as the gholam touches them they would dissipate.

Other methods that might work:

-Surround the gholam with Fire.

Assuming that fire hurts the gholam, this would work if the fire were burning fuel and not being maintained by the One Power, although if it were being maintained by the One Power the heat around it might give the gholam pause.

No idea what would happen, but it is far from feasible.

-Cadsuane/Nynaeve try their terangreal against it.

This would probably work, especially Cadsuane's as it seems to function identically to Mat's.  Nynaeve's on the other hand acts in a different fashion, rather than melting weaves it unweaves them.  Keep in mind that neither of them is likely to give up their ter'angreal and they are no match for Mat when it comes to fighting without weapons.

Archived