DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Creator/Dark One

Rootbeer

Peaches are poison.

So, if he has been influencing events, it must be at a pretty small level, or through direct interaction with a character whose interactions we have not been privy to (which i personally concider unlikely).. . .

1. He wont. For whatever reason, he chooses to remain aloof.

2. He can't. He doesn't have the power to actually go toe to toe with the Dark One.

3. He doesn't care. Or else, he has his own cares, and doesn't have time to waste on the Earth.

Well, the one thing we know about the WoT Creator is that he Created something: specifically, he created the Wheel, which creates the Pattern.

And if there's one thing we *know* the Pattern does, it's "influence events at a small level." (See: Matrim Cauthon, etc.)

The impression I've always had of the WoT cosmology was that the Creator created the wheel/pattern, a self-aware Reality that was capable of defending itself; in opposition to that, the Dark One (who we could probably name the Destroyer) tries to destroy the Pattern/Wheel while the Wheel (self-aware Reality) defends itself by spinning out Ta'veren, telling cool stories in the meanwhile.

So the Creator doesn't directly intervene, but he intervenes by means of his Creation. So, in a sense, he's always intervening, because the Wheel is always turning out the Pattern.

I agree with Luckers, that religious mythology in fantasy is fascinating. I also think it's an important part of the story in WoT. Especially since this is High Fantasy. With the DO being the evil counterpart of the Creator, and so on. RJ gave a RAFO on why the Creator didn't take an active part, the way that the DO does. He said it was an "important theme". I think that is because any interference by the Creator would also interfere with the free will of His creation. Maybe it would result in the destruction of creation. So that, once the creation is made, it's only maintained by the Creator - through the True Source - but he can't change the things that are set in motion. Why else would there be a need for the Wheel to be "the most advanced computer you can imagine"?

There is also this "Only the Creator and the Dark One are outside the Wheel".

Yes, perhaps he cant, or won't for some moral reason, so he made the One Power to give his creations a chance to resist the DO.

Archived