DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Mat and Armor

Copperfield

Dont know if this as been discussed before but I was thinking about a comment Mat made at the end of KOD about maybe wearing armor. Do you think he will wear some? If so, what type? I would love to see them finding a stasis box with AOL armor in it, I know thats a pipe dream but I think it would be awesome.

Dont know if this as been discussed before but I was thinking about a comment Matt made at the end of KOD about maybe wearing armor. Do you think he will wear some? If so, what type? I would love to see them finding a stasis box with AOL armor in it, I know thats a pipe dream but I think it would be awesome.

Really, man, is it so difficult to remember the correct name of a character you write about?

He's Mat, not Matt  >:(

About the question - I think, no. Some more "super" weapon for Mat - what for? He doesn't really need it, he'll be successful enough with this Age's armour as well.

Dont know if this as been discussed before but I was thinking about a comment Matt made at the end of KOD about maybe wearing armor. Do you think he will wear some? If so, what type? I would love to see them finding a stasis box with AOL armor in it, I know thats a pipe dream but I think it would be awesome.

I guess this begs the question, have you read the sreies?  if so you have your answer. I find it very unlikely Mat will suddenly change his whole outlook.

I guess this begs the question, have you read the sreies?  if so you have your answer. I find it very unlikely Mat will suddenly change his whole outlook.

Page 742 of KOD...Musenge says, "Should you not be wearing your armor Highness?" Then on page 748 of KOD..."An arrow tugged at Mat's left sleeve, another pierced his right sleeve, only the fletchings keeping it from going through cleanly, and a third ripped open the right shoulder of his coat. He put a finger behind the scarf around his neck and tugged. The bloody thing felt awfully tight of a sudden. Maybe he should consider wearing armor at times like this."

It seems to me that RJ is foreshadowing Mat wearing armor. So yes I have read the series in question.

They really should just make some cuendillar armor -- if you make each piece separately, and only use the weave on the bolts after it has been put together, you should avoid the fusing problem.

It would take a long time to create armor that is flexible enough; even for the fastest cuendillar makers.

I dont think that Asha'man can make cuendillar, the Salidar AS got it from Moghedian, and unless they can show the men, the Ash'man cant make heartstone. But cuendillar weapons, thats more practicle.

They didn't get it from Moghedien. Egwene figured it out on her own.

I dont think that Asha'man can make cuendillar, the Salidar AS got it from Moghedian, and unless they can show the men, the Ash'man cant make heartstone. But cuendillar weapons, thats more practicle.

There was at least one discovery made by an Ashaman that was discovered by the rebel Aes Sedia before the Ashaman discovered it.  If one thing done by the rebel Aes Sedia can be discovered by Ashaman, other things they do could also be discovered by Ashaman.

Moghedien actually gave only hints at how to do cuendillar, she did not teach it.

Using cheap flimsy wire it be possible to make chain armour in this matter.  And Bode Cauthorn, who is sick with worry about her brother, is one of the best makers of cuendillar with the SAS could probally make him a halbrick with little trouble.

It still would not work. A heartstone chain mail shirt would not flex; it would be like a cast. Look at the chain links in the harbor in Tar Valon. The links of a shirt would act the same way.

So heartstone is not ductile or malleable... I guess I should have known it was a nonmetal, since it is called heartSTONE...

They've already invented plate armor, haven't they? Why not make cuendillar pieces of plate armor separately and then link them together with ordinary chain (or whatever is usually used to keep a suit of plate armor together)? Sure, there will be weak spots in the armor, but there always are. And it's much better than being completely unarmored.

They really should just make some cuendillar armor -- if you make each piece separately, and only use the weave on the bolts after it has been put together, you should avoid the fusing problem.

It would take a long time to create armor that is flexible enough; even for the fastest cuendillar makers.

Just use cuendillar on individual pieces of plate and tie them together with the traditional material and it would work fine.

EDIT: Paviel beat me by 45 seconds.

There was at least one discovery made by an Ashaman that was discovered by the rebel Aes Sedia before the Ashaman discovered it.  If one thing done by the rebel Aes Sedia can be discovered by Ashaman, other things they do could also be discovered by Ashaman.

Moghedien actually gave only hints at how to do cuendillar, she did not teach it.

Oh, my bad. But Heartstone weapons would work fine, or a heartstone shield.

Cuendillar weapons would work if they can pierce through enemy armor/flesh and/or if they can make the enemy go unconscious.

In other words, the cuendillar weapons would need to have sharp points and/or be heavy.  Both might take some time to make, yet less time to make flexible things.

A cuendillar shield would be good, tough it would at least need to be as wide as the person bearing it.

Using cheap flimsy wire it be possible to make chain armour in this matter.  And Bode Cauthorn, who is sick with worry about her brother, is one of the best makers of cuendillar with the SAS could probally make him a halbrick with little trouble.

It still would not work. A heartstone chain mail shirt would not flex; it would be like a cast. Look at the chain links in the harbor in Tar Valon. The links of a shirt would act the same way.

They would fuse together if it was tried on a completed shirt, yes, what I am saying is twist the wire into a ring, change it to cuendillar, then put in another piece of wire, twist it into a ring, and without touching the existing ring tur it into cuendillar.

If the links are done one at a time it would work.  That's why I said flimsy wire, so it can be shaped by hand.  And if the iron ring was touching a heartstone ring it probally wouldn't fuse together.

They would fuse together if it was tried on a completed shirt, yes, what I am saying is twist the wire into a ring, change it to cuendillar, then put in another piece of wire, twist it into a ring, and without touching the existing ring tur it into cuendillar.

If the links are done one at a time it would work.  That's why I said flimsy wire, so it can be shaped by hand.  And if the iron ring was touching a heartstone ring it probally wouldn't fuse together.

Alternate option: scale mail. Make a bunch of metal scales, with small holes in the tops of each scale. Turn them all to cuendillar. Thread little wires through all the holes and sew the scales onto a leather jerkin.

It's certainly doable, I just imagine Egwene has better things to do with her time, depending on how much time we have left.

I've always thought it would be cool if Mat started wearing some of the Deathwatch Guard's armor, but customized to him somehow. you know, pimping it out a little for the prince of the ravens. after all, if him and tuon get a little closer and start spending time together, he will probably have his own deathwatch bodyguard, as he has married into the royal family. i doubt he will dismiss the band, but i can see him with a pair of deathwatch guards, those he has selected, accompanying him. I think its possible he may copy their armor, to an extent, because among the seanchan they are the most bad ass soldiers and everyone knows it, and i think that would fit with mats personality.

You'd have thought that the AOL Aes Sedai would have tried of using cuendillar plates for infantry and vehicle armour.  As Egwene points out, it's not really that hard to make.

I guess the real reason is that a nigh indestructible material is a nifty idea but, lacking a cuendillar cartel, really plays havoc with warfare, economics, insurance premiums, etc.

-- dwn

Archived