DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Does Thom know Hurin?

WWWwombat

So I'm doing my reread and I just finished TGH and I found some odd dialogue in chapter 26:

"Oh, we've kept it secret Thom.  And I have to bring it back to Fal Dara without Darkfriends or anyone else taking it away.  That's story enough for you right there isn't it?  I could use a friend who knows the world.  You've been everywhere; you know things I can't even imagine.  Loial and Hurin know more than I do, but we're all three floundering in deep water."

"Hurin. . . ?  No, don't tell me how.  I do not want to know."  The gleeman pushed back his chair and went to stare out of the window.

Is Thom just expressing surprise at Rand's ta'veren twisting having pulled another person in with him or does the name "Hurin" actually mean something to him?  FYI, Earlier in the chapter, Hurin doesn't seem to have any reaction to Rand saying Thom is alive, he just says, when asked, that he would be pleased to guard the horn while Rand and Loail go meet Thom.

He's just wondering who Hurin is

Using the word 'how' does not sound like somebody just wondering the identity.

Is Thom just expressing surprise at Rand's ta'veren twisting having pulled another person in with him or does the name "Hurin" actually mean something to him?

The Encyclopaedia site does not tell.  It could be either.

Is Thom just expressing surprise at Rand's ta'veren twisting having pulled another person in with him or does the name "Hurin" actually mean something to him? 

That would be my guess.

FYI, Earlier in the chapter, Hurin doesn't seem to have any reaction to Rand saying Thom is alive, he just says, when asked, that he would be pleased to guard the horn while Rand and Loail go meet Thom.

Hurin was never told about Thom in the the scenes we have of him, so there's no reall reason to react.

The "how" is in reference to not wanting to know HOW Rand came by the Horn. But you can make up whatever dumb conspiracy theory you want. Hurin was obviously Thom's lover when he ran through the boarderlands and they got in a huge fight and he had to leave Hurin in Sheinar and then he went to Caemlyn. There. There's a worthless theory for you.

Archived