DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

In Remembrance

WhiteWolf

I was pondering where to post this, or even if i should post this at DM, as it has nothing to do with DM or Robert Jordan. However, i can think of no better place to post this than my home from home.

This weekend marks the 65th anniversary of Operation Market Garden. This has always had a place in my heart as my grandad was involved. Unfortunately he was not one to talk about his wartime experiences and whenever i asked what he did in the war he told me that he and his best mate Nobby played conkers.I was only a kid at the time so i thought he was misleading me. I should have known better as without further ado he pulled out an old, dog eared photograph of him and Nobby, in full uniform, playing conkers. My grandfather passed away when i was 14 and even now, 32 years later i miss him more than i can say.

Usually my partner and i would attend the ceremonies in Eindhoven,Nijmegan and Arnhem. However this year we have not been able to go.

Because of the brave men of the UK,Poland and the USA, Europe was liberated and this operation played it's part in liberating the people of Southern Holland. Although Market Garden did not achieve all of it's aims, the people of Holland have always been hugely grateful to the men of the British 1st Airborne Division, the men of the 1st Polish Parachute brigade, the 101st US Airborne and the 82nd US Airborne Division. Long may their memories continue to shine.

If you would like to know more about this operation take a look at this website.

http://www.rememberseptember44.com/rs44.htm

*Bows head in respect*

Owen

The men who gave their lives in Operation Market Garden, and the men who lived on to tell (Or not tell) their children and grand children about it, are heroes in their own right and shall always remain so.

Though I do not know anyone who served in the War, or anyone who served in Market Garden itself, I have glimpsed the war through things like Band of Brother's (101st Airborn Documentery) and games like Company of Heroes (WW2 RTS that is alot like a documentery in its own way).

Thanks for Shareing the website with us, I will check it out here sometime :D

All I can think of to close this post is Semper Fi (US Marien Core Modo, "Always Faitful")