DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Stop me if you have heard this one already...

vhsjezebel

Hi all, new to Dragonmount, but coming over from others like the old Wotism and recently Wotmania, glad to be here!!!

Anyway, I was going back over some of the prophecies, and doing a non-structured re-read (basically just reading the parts I wanted to ;D) when I came across a few things that I didn't pick up on before, and didn't really see any discussion about on here.

LOC 15 A Pile of Sand, Egwene's dreams concerning Mat...

"In another a woman, face shrouded in shadow, beckoned him toward great danger;  Egwene did not know what, only that it was monstrous."

I couldn't even really find much about this in the FAQ, which was odd.  Surely there must be some conjecturing going on by now...  Perhaps it's because of all the hype with the new book, and the much anticipated return of Moiraine that is foremost in our minds, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this is forshadowing the rescue mission. The beckoner is Moiraine "from the grave" as it were.  (I'm of the opinion that she's alive, and will be returning, btw)

My reasoning is the beckoning part.  Had it been a direct threat to Mat, it seems that it would have be worded differently, like others indicating the falcon and hawk for Perrin, the ravens for Mat.  But with Mat, he's getting involved in this because of a letter that Moiraine addressed to Thom, that she intended Mat to read.  Thus, more of a sense of I'm leading you to danger, in a round about way.  So far in the series, Mat has been in danger, but nothing that can really be termed 'monstrous' danger, except for the ever looming some time in the future trip to the ToG.  Thoughts?

Second, also concerning Mat:

POD 15, Stonger than Written Law, again Egwene's dreams...

"Mat, weighing two Aes Sedai on a huge set of balance scales, and on his decision depended....She could not say what; something vast; the world, perhaps."

Again, could be because of the rehash of the rescue mission forthcoming, I'm going to say that one of the Aes Sedai at this point in the series would be Moiraine.  The other, I don't know to be honest.  It doesn't seem that he's involved with anyone else that could fit that now, but with them closing in on Caemlyn, possibly Elayne?  Don't know on that, but I do feel that one will be Moiraine.  No other Aes Sedai has been mentioned in a prophecy/dream/whatever other that Moiraine that mentions the fate of the world hanging in the balance.  Min's viewing about Moiraine that supposedly failed, and which in turn means that Rand will lose LB being a quick reference for that.  Also, since this was before the letter to Thom was revealed, and the dice that stopped right then as well with him agreeing to go, is that the choice between the two?  Will we know who the other is?

That's all for now, let the discussion/flaming begin!!!  :D

i don't know about the first one being Moiraine as it has the sound of someone saying come here " beckoning". while Moiraine never says actually calls for Mat as she says in the letter to Thom not to show Mat unless he asks.

for the second i can go along with Moiraine and Elayne. Mat promised Rand to protect Elayne and see her to Caemylin, and he knows the Gholam is after her.(not sure if Mat knows she is safe yet) and he tells Thom he will go with him to ToG to rescue Moiraine. as he gets into Andor rumors of the gholam trailing him might still crop up ( more deaths w/ blood drained. ) he will weigh out which one is safer (Elayne most likely) and help the other.

I dunno, to me the second viewing always seemed obvious to me, to be the two Aes Sedia that he saved from the Seanchan damane rooms/"kennels". Because if had not done so, he wouldnt of been in that part of palace, and then afterwards ran head first into to Tuon, which led to him kidnapping then marring her. Which I am sure his new position in the Empire and who his wife now is, both will have a HUGE impact later pre/post Seanchan truce with Rand.

"Mat, weighing two Aes Sedai on a huge set of balance scales, and on his decision depended....She could not say what; something vast; the world, perhaps."

Again, could be because of the rehash of the rescue mission forthcoming, I'm going to say that one of the Aes Sedai at this point in the series would be Moiraine.  The other, I don't know to be honest.  It doesn't seem that he's involved with anyone else that could fit that now, but with them closing in on Caemlyn, possibly Elayne?  Don't know on that, but I do feel that one will be Moiraine.  No other Aes Sedai has been mentioned in a prophecy/dream/whatever other that Moiraine that mentions the fate of the world hanging in the balance.  Min's viewing about Moiraine that supposedly failed, and which in turn means that Rand will lose LB being a quick reference for that.  Also, since this was before the letter to Thom was revealed, and the dice that stopped right then as well with him agreeing to go, is that the choice between the two?  Will we know who the other is?

That's all for now, let the discussion/flaming begin!!!   :D

I'm not sure about the first, but for the second, I agree with Jameric's interpretation.  The viewing never says that he weighs the Aes Sedai against each other, just that he is weighing them. 

"In another a woman, face shrouded in shadow, beckoned him toward great danger;  Egwene did not know what, only that it was monstrous."

If you told Mat about the dream, he'd likely say something about "every flaming woman in the last two years..." :D

This may be a rather far fetched idea, but I think it could be Tuon, at least under the influence of Semi. The monstrous part come into play with Egwene's Thought process with anything to do with the seanchen. And the fact that the union will bring the two cultures together, what sparks will happen with all channelers etc ....

Alternativley, with Tuon now being Empress and Mat being the Prince of Raven's, they have thier work cut out with civil war even after TG.

That's all for now, let the discussion/flaming begin!!!   :D

Perhaps I'm in the minority here, but I thought that this was obvious. The way I read this was the two Aes Sedai were Elyane and Nynaeve, where they were ambushed by the BA when getting the B.O.W. The weighing part came by Mat's indecision in helping Nynaeve or running up stairs to help Elyane with the Gholam.

The dream about the balance scales, that one has been discussed a number of times.  Some portion of those discussions were started by me.

If Moiraine, the second Aes Sedia might be another Aelfinn/Eelfinn prisoner.  (choice being who to rescue, likely Moiraine)

Other possibilities of the choice might be these:

-who to be Rand's adviser (Cadsuane vs Moiraine)

-who to be Amyrlin (Egwene vs Elaida, likely Egwene)

The dream of Mat being beckoned, this is the first thread I read that discusses it.

If already fulfilled, it might be that situation when Mat follows a woman to the Chelsaine Palace. (Crown of Swords Chapter 14)

The whole trip to Ebou Dar or his rescuing the 3 Aes Sedia might be other possibilities; though those do not really include beckoning.

If not yet fulfilled, it could be almost any situation.

Archived