DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Is Aldrin Caldevwin more than he seems?

Aiemond

After reading some of the Great Hunt over again, there seems to be more than is first apparent about Captain Aldrin Caldevwin. He appears in the inn after Rand and Selene have the Choeden Kal and we never seem him again, except for a brief mention at the foregate in Cairhien when Rand thinks he sees him. What makes him odd though, is that Selene almost instantly dislikes him and acts as if he is a threat. He also is interested in the Choeden Kal (and may be the one that convinced the King to start the excavation) Not only that, his line of questions on Rand seem a bit odd and the fact that the guard at the foregate told Rand he was not there. The last two could be due to  the game of houses, but is one of the forsaken sees a normal captain as a threat? That is very odd. I have not seen much discussion about this, but it seems that is worthy of it.

Agreed. Lanfear's disguise was pretty thin, she knew a sophisticated plotter when she saw one, and knew he'd see through her, so she left.

Well, she solved that issue when she went up to her rooms. They were leaving the next day anyway, so her leaving with Rand then or leaving during the night would not have made much of a difference.

Entering Cairhein itself would have been more problematic though. The guards would have called her on it immediately, or even if not at the gate, the issue would have come up inn. Perhaps this just gave her an excuse.

In the letter though, she did state he was dangerous, If he was just some random plotter, she would not have said anything imo.

I deny this just from the author's viewpoint.

We've had some long running plot points in WoT, but sorry....there's nothing more to see from a bit Cairhien noble from 9 books ago :p

On a side note, I am rereading TGH right now, and when I saw this thread I thought maybe, just maybe, there was a little to it. So I checked the Bors Shayol Ghul meeting at the very beginning to see if maybe he mentioned a Cairhien noble(remember when Bors is observing different members and dissecting thier diguises?) that could indicate some kind of hint to Aldrin....but nope. While he mentions that there are Cairhiens there, he doesn't make specific note of one.

Not even sure why a DF would put the heeby jeebies into Lanfear, but just thought I would check :P

Archived