DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

My name is Rand Al'Thor

OsaroLJ

not Lews Therin. I remember Rand saying this over and over to the Forsaken in the early books. Interestingly, that is when we begin to see the manifestations of LTT. Perhaps LTT exists because of this internal struggle within Rand? To differentiate himself with his own past?

And perhaps reintegration will occur only if Rand can accept that he and LTT are one.

Perhaps in Tarmon Gaidon, Rand will introduce himself to Shaitan as "Rand Al'Thor, the one you once knew as Lews Therin Telamon"

Rand would never say something like this right now.

that is a nice speculation.

though i have to differ with you in that LTT exists because of internal struggle in Rand.In my opinion he exists because of incomplete task against the Dark one.

And the solution you gave would definitely solve lot of stuff like min viewing abt rand merging with another person which is rand interpretation about the viewing.

And it would put an end to some of misery of rand ...he being not mad

I'm just amazed at the psychological underpinnings in this story. Imagine growing up being told about the most evil man to ever live. You grow to hate him more than even the Dark One. Then one day, some raving lunatic tells you that YOU are that man. Furthermore, he calls you by that name too! In other words, YOU did apparently some of the most evil things in history: murdered your own family.

Psychologically, you have a few choices:

You accept this revelation as true and begin self-hatred. You are so evil that you killed your family. Well, if Rand accepted this, I don't think we see an LTT. However, our Dragon would probably have committed suicide because, not only would he want to die (again) but EVERYONE else wants him to die

OR, you try to differentiate yourself from that past life. It wasn't ME. It was LTT. My name is Rand Al'Thor. I have a different personality. I'm my own person. Those deeds were done by a madman, Kinslayer, if you will. Well, what you have is a soul in conflict with itself. The conflict that caused LTT to commit suicide in the prologue of TEOTW is still going on inside Rand.

What Rand will do, what Rand NEEDS to do, is to come to terms with what happened in the AOL. It happened, he did it. He made choices that still haunt him today, but he didn't really have alternatives. He did the best he could do. He IS LTT. LTT IS Rand. They are one. And now, he has another chance to complete what he started in the AOL.

RJ was a friggin BRILLIANT artist.

• 1 month later...

Slayers consciousness is that of two men melded together. Between them they have only one motive; if Isam was the one in TAR that took orders from the nameless contractor, when he changed to Luc the intention of killing Rand and Min is still there, still as important. Luc cannot oppose Isam and vice versa because they are truly one, unlike Rand and Lews Therin. Between them, Luc and Isam have two personalities which match their original identities yet neither can exist at the same time. I believe Luc was the one that died, I think this because Moridin calls Isam by name and not Luc. Long story short, I think Isam was somehow given Luc as an identity he could truly become when he wished. So, in my opinion, Slayer is just "Isam able to change into Luc."

Rand is Lews Therin, he can't really merge with himself, now can he. Rand was pretty much remembering Lews Therin and speaking as Lews Therin at different points in the fourth and fifth books, not as a separate person or voice, but as the man itself.

More than likely the madness personified these memories as something else, especially since Rand was so desperate to separate himself from Lews Therin.

I hope I'm not speaking on outdated material here, I've yet to read TGS.

Archived