DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Favorite of the three

Lord Monty

Rand. No question, no contest at all.

I find the Rand character concept to be a brilliant thing. I remember reading an interview with RJ when he was asked how the idea of Wheel of Time came about. I cant remember the full extent of his reply but one part of it was he once asked himself words to the effect of "What if you were told you were born to save the world?" And Wheel of Time was born.

Enter Rand. Farmboy, ignorant orphan, innocent as they come. A normal adolescent guy expecting to never leave the Two Rivers just like anyone else. Along comes Moiraine, and takes him on a journey no sane man would willingly go on. Rands character development is fantastic. Not just the way its written but the realism of it. What he goes through is great, but how he goes through it makes the series for me.

Quoting wite wolf, from the infamous I Hate Rand al'Thor thread.

He is the reason that I am continually rereading this books and I would not be surprised if the same was true for you.

Truer words do not exit. And I think Moiraines death was the best thing RJ ever did to Rand.

So yeah, its easier to just say everything about Rand makes him my favorite. The things he does and goes through, his development arc, and his character concept in general.

GO RAND!

Yes Rand is also my favorite, not just of those three but of all the characters. I have NEVER been this connected to a fictional character as his before.  His plight pulls at my heart like no other :'(.  He has so little to be happy about for so long that it's no wonder he has forgotten how to laugh.  I love him for reasons already stated by those before me and (as I often say when asked this question), I have always admired people who are self-sacrificing.  His every thought and action is for others.  He is the best example of Guardian of all AND Servant of all. 

Mat, I think, but Rand's a close second. Mat's character just isn't as complex as Rand's, and the extent that Rand develops and the depth of his character almost pushes him to first form me, but Mat's chapters are just generally more entertaining. A lot of the time anyway.

Mat of course! while rand started out as a very likable, very relatable character in the later books he's just 'mental'. Mat on the other hand has become someone i would really like to know and hang out with(never gamble with)but he'd be a great to have a beer with.

having read the whole series too many times to count, i find that i just go back and read my favorite parts now. from tFoH on i really enjoy all of mat's arc, where as rand after CoS i really dont care to read any of it exept rarely the end of WH. Perrin is actually a decent character who i do like but because i truly dislike faile i cant stand to read any of his story after tSR.

I find the Rand character concept to be a brilliant thing. I remember reading an interview with RJ when he was asked how the idea of Wheel of Time came about. I cant remember the full extent of his reply but one part of it was he once asked himself words to the effect of "What if you were told you were born to save the world?" And Wheel of Time was born.

Enter Rand. Farmboy, ignorant orphan, innocent as they come. A normal adolescent guy expecting to never leave the Two Rivers just like anyone else. Along comes Moiraine, and takes him on a journey no sane man would willingly go on. Rands character development is fantastic. Not just the way its written but the realism of it. What he goes through is great, but how he goes through it makes the series for me.

He is the reason that I am continually rereading this books and I would not be surprised if the same was true for you.

Truer words do not exit. And I think Moiraines death was the best thing RJ ever did to Rand.

So yeah, its easier to just say everything about Rand makes him my favorite. The things he does and goes through, his development arc, and his character concept in general.

This is exactly what I LOVE to hear.  RAND al'THOR is the greatest character in the history of FANTASY!!!!

The one I like most "as a person", that would be a really tough choice. Since Rand seemingly has the heaviest burden to carry, I think I'm gonna have to go with him.

The one that is the most fun to read about? Also a tough choice. Mat takes the lead, at least some times (of course there could be too much of it, but only theoretically). I'm voting Mat.

The one I identify the most with? I'm not really like any of them, at least I don't think so. Anyway, I think I would go with Perrin on that one.

This is exactly what I LOVE to hear.  RAND al'THOR is the greatest character in the history of FANTASY!!!!

HELL YEAH!!!!!TOALLY AGREE WITH YOU !!!

Archived