DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Bela must die

DemandredFO

It does get irritating how people can't get off Bela.

The only unique thing about Bela is how she is the only animal we see consistently throughout the books, and not only that but she doesn't even have a POV.  (I stopped to remember Hopper, who we also see with some consistency because of the Wolf Dream, but because Perrin can talk to wolves he can give us their POV, and so far there are no Horse Whisperers in Randland).  Okay, so there's Pips, Jeade'en, Stepper, Stayer, Swallow and Old Tongue "Swallow" (LOL, sounds dirty), Mandarb, and I suppose a few other horses, but Bela alone has been through a majority of the books.  The other horses only get any screen time when they are acting up because they want to run or it's really important that the character go ride a horse for speed, but Bela is never described the same way.

Anyway, YES PEOPLE WE GET IT, Bela's resilient, Bela's loyal, Bela's a great horse, and while you want her to be something more than that, SHE'S A HORSE, so GET OVER IT!

who here besides me is going to stop reading threads when they see people gushing about Bela

Lol, thats funny. You open a thread to gush about not gushing about Bela.

Why are people so irritated by it? You're all like, "Oh dear, I keep being forced to post in this discussion about something I dont want to talk about." If you dont like it, dont look in the thread. That particular threads dying anyway, but still, if you dont like something that much, avoid it.

You cant use the same arguement back at me for posting here though!

What you guys are doing looks the same as, say, me looking in all the TGS Chapter 1 spoilers even though I know theyre there and dont want to see them, then complaining about them, and then looking again. I complained when I first saw them, but now I know theyre there Im avoiding the TGS forum altogether.

Not all of us have enjoyed the Bela jokes before that, and a little stupidity can be fun sometimes. If you dont want to take part in it, dont. Others can though, and they will.

There a few things I despise as much as Bela humor.  To give some perspective, Bela humor currently lies somewhere around Eragon That-Which-Must-Not-Be-Named in my list of most hated things.

Those jokes stopped being funny a long time ago

They were funny once?

This is news to me.

Please keep in mind some of us are new to these boards.  Prior to the most recent thread I'd never seen any Bela humor, and I thought it was hilarious.  I also cracked quite a few comments myself.

If I see a similar thread about Bela I'll crack more.  It amuses me.  If you've been around so long that you now take the WoT so seriously you can't see humor in something like that I pity you.

Please let us have our fun, and if you don't like the threads don't read them.  Here's a hint- if the title invovles Bela, and you don't like Bela threads...don't read it =p

It only remains funny to some people simply because they like to get a rise out of people.  So long as people continue to react as they do, people will continue to make the same old Bela jokes.  Anyone with an obnoxious younger sibling knows exactly what I'm talking about.

The fun part about kicking an ant hill is watching the ants run around.

It only remains funny to some people simply because they like to get a rise out of people.  So long as people continue to react as they do, people will continue to make the same old Bela jokes

Lol, I just started writing a counterargument and then thought... this is an anti-Bela thread, I shouldnt be defending Bela humor here as the thread is supposed to be anti-Bela...

Seriously though I genuinely thought it was funny enough to take part because I've never come across something like that for Bela.

not to defend bela jokes, ive made quite afew , but its been almost 5 years since a new book came out....all the speculation and discussion about whats next has gotten old. some people have expanded the discussion to more obscure and admitingly silly heights(or depths...its relative) im sure in a couple of months stupid bela jokes will be far down the threads(for a while).

that said: bela, stepper and arrow walk into a bar... ::)

If you dont like it, dont look in the thread. That particular threads dying anyway, but still, if you dont like something that much, avoid it.
That particular thread. That omits the fact that we are not talking about all the equine humour being put into a concentration camp for unfunny jokes, as this is not something that stays confined to certain specific threads. It crops up in a hell of a lot of threads. In a thread about the Creator, she's the Creator. In a thread about great generals, she's one of them. She's Shai'tan, the true power behinnd the Wheel, Asmo's killer, Nynaeve is destined to marry her... It crops up everywhere. You can't get away from it. And none of it is funny.

What you guys are doing looks the same as, say, me looking in all the TGS Chapter 1 spoilers even though I know theyre there and dont want to see them, then complaining about them, and then looking again.
No, it's a bit like TGS spoilers being prone to crop up in any and every thread, regardless of relevance. And you can't even get rid of them, because unfunny jokes are (unfortunately) not against forum rules.

a little stupidity can be fun sometimes.
Oh, undoubtedly. Yet there is a difference between being funny and simply repeating the same joke ad nauseum. A few silly threads are fine, but this is just repetitious.

They were funny once?

This is news to me.

I'm just guessing. That time, if it ever existed, had come and gone before I ever came here.

If you've been around so long that you now take the WoT so seriously you can't see humor in something like that I pity you.
I will laugh at a genuinely funny joke. Once someone asked why we didn't see any midgets in the Wheel of Time, to the response that the politically correct term was Cairhienin. That was funny. If every thread had it, it becomes overly familiar. Not funny anymore.

Here's a hint- if the title invovles Bela, and you don't like Bela threads...don't read it =p
Here's a hint - if you keep it in dedicated threads, we won't have a problem. If you post it in every damn thread, we can't get away from it. Hence people get pissed off at seeing it all the time.

It only remains funny to some people simply because they like to get a rise out of people.
Except they don't for the most part. Nothing beyond a perfunctory kneecapping from me, and they don't always get even that much.
Anyone with an obnoxious younger sibling knows exactly what I'm talking about.
Growing up in my house, obnoxious younger siblings learnt that taking a joke too far might end up with you getting stabbed (well, it only happened the once. Unfortunately, I missed it). I would be quite happy if the mods went around knifing everyone who continued to make these same jokes over and over.

They were funny once?

This is news to me.

I'm just guessing. That time, if it ever existed, had come and gone before I ever came here.

Well, same.  The first few times I saw it I wasn't too bothered, I just never thought it was funny. 

They were funny once?

This is news to me.

Well, same.  The first few times I saw it I wasn't too bothered, I just never thought it was funny. 

I was here for that week. It was amusing. Then.

• 2 months later...

There's nothing inherently wrong with finding it funny. There's something wrong with enforcing that particular brand of humor on everyone else, however.

As Mr Ares said, it crops up everywhere, and it's been tiresome for quite a while.

Sketching Sedai's comment at the top of page 2 here was the only funny Bela related thing I've ever seen.  Actually right now I'd like to make a pretty funny glue comment, but can't think of one.  I can't even make a Catherine the Great joke because this a PG-13 board (and Bela I believe is a mare, so it wouldn't fit.  Maybe a gelding, but it still wouldn't fit in that case)

Well, I find it funny. If you don't, then don't read it or don't laugh.

That's like getting angry with people who laugh at jokes you don't find funny. Or getting angry with the producers of comedies you don't like.

Don't read it is less of an option when it appears in every bloody thread. As for producers of comedies I don't like, they'll get what's coming to them.

Well, I find it funny. If you don't, then don't read it or don't laugh.

That's like getting angry with people who laugh at jokes you don't find funny. Or getting angry with the producers of comedies you don't like.

Don't read it is less of an option when it appears in every bloody thread. As for producers of comedies I don't like, they'll get what's coming to them.

A decent salary?

Archived