DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Glee - Fox - Wed 9 pm est

Emperor

Basically a more adult version of High School Muscial... and that may have turned more people off than I intended.  This show is great.  It feels like Election with some bits of singing thrown in. 

Trailer

Fox's new dramedy, "Glee" technically isn't going to air until the fall, but they wisely decided to show the pilot early behind the juggernaut that is "American Idol." (The show returns in the fall for its regular premiere Sept. 16.) Not only is it a smart move to make that musical match, but "Glee" also will serve a hole left by "Idol" -- a show snarky enough for adults to like, but with sight gags and a somewhat simplistic storyline for the kids. Compared to other high school-based shows like "Gossip Girl" and "90210," "Glee" is downright wholesome.

But "Glee" isn't just some "High School Musical" reboot. It trades in some of the same stereotypes, but it's also bucking those same genre ideas. And it's coming from Ryan Murphy, creator of "Nip/Tuck" and "Popular," who knows subversive humor. There's definitely some of that in "Glee" -- just as lead character Rachel Berry is feeling pretty pleased with herself, imaging her name in lights, she gets a carelessly tossed slushy to the face that brings her back to reality.

"Glee" stars Matthew Morrison as Will Schuester, a high school Spanish teacher who wants to resurrect the school's Glee Club. But in a place where football and cheerleading rule and Glee Club is like something nasty you find on the bottom of your shoe, he's not having much luck. The principal allows him to give it a shot if Will pays for the uniforms and agrees to supervise detention for free as "payment." Will, though, thinks he can get the team to regionals.

Now, in the real world, if the small group of kids who turned out for the club happened to have Broadway-quality voice talent like the ones who sign up for Glee Club, a teacher would rejoice. But this group is the underdogs, especially when they go and watch a performance by the state champs -- a jaw-dropping routine to Amy Winehouse's "Rehab" -- and realize their version of "Don't Stop Believin'" isn't going to cut it.

Of course there are obstacles. Will's wife, Terri (Jessalyn Gilsig), -- who works in a "Bed, Beth and Beyond" from hell -- wants him to leave teaching and get a higher paying job, and the drill-sergeant cheerleading coach (Jane Lynch) and the football coach aren't thrilled that Will's sniffing around their ranks for some music talent. "Glee" is probably not going to be a show that throws a lot of curveballs -- we all know where this thing's going -- but the fun will be in getting there. And the show has an irresistible optimism about it.

The way Will gets one of the club members to join is seriously underhanded, but refreshing. Lea Michele is spectacular as Rachel Berry, an overachieving, perky and bossy high school student with a golden voice. She's too earnest to be popular -- the cheerleaders have viewing parties to make fun of the online videos she makes of herself singing. Rachel is both full of self-doubt and absent-mindedly smug. Once she gets a a male singer she thinks is worthy of her own talents, she tells him everyone is going to assume they're together because they're playing the leads.

The biggest issue with "Glee" is that it kind of trades in stereotypes. Part of that is the point -- this is supposed to take place in the high school world where the "jocks," "cheerleaders," "nerds" and "drama kids" all sit at separate lunch tables. But it also makes it hard to completely invest in the characters. I've only seen the pilot, so I expect this will change a bit, but some of the characters, especially Will's faintly shrill wife, will find it hard to break out of the box. (I mean, why did they have to make her a shrew? I'm guessing to set up some awkward romantic possibilities.) Some of the best characters include Rachel, Will, and teacher Emma Pillsbury (the always great Jayma Mays, "Ugly Betty") who has a major crush on Will. Emma is at first a little too wacko -- she's a germophobe who eats lunch with plastic gloves -- but her character evolves over just the course of the pilot.

But the rest of the teachers and staff run along more predictable lines -- there's the usual brawny and brains-challenged, nerd-torturing football players; the blonde, beautiful and snotty cheerleaders; the slightly dopey, gorgeous jock with a heart of gold (Cory Monteith as Finn); the flamboyant, Prada-loving gay kid (Chris Colfer as Kurt); the sassy, bossy black girl (Amber Riley as Mercedes); and the smart and sweet kid in the wheelchair (Kevin McHale as Arty). (The final member of the small Glee club group is played by Jenna Ushkowitz as Tina, a shy girl who stutters when she talks, but can sing like a bird.)

There's no question though about the music. They've recruited half of Broadway and the vocal talent is amazing. They somehow managed to not want me to put my fist through a wall hearing Journey's "Don't Stop Believin'" over and over. Several powerhouse guest stars (who also can sing) like Victor Garber and Kristin Chenoweth are lined up for later episodes.

If the characters can get past some of their stereotypes, "Glee" should be a hit. It's a smart move considering the popularity of musical shows these days and the fact that it fills a hole when "Idol" ends it season. This is the kind of show that when you're done watching, you've got a big, stupid grin on your face.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I tried but I guess I dont have a gag reflex. 

When you are older that will be a gift"

This is my favorite line from the show so far!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Thank god they're on at 9 so they can get away with a little more than if they were on at 8.

Anyway...that being said...I still LOVE this show and am so glad that it's finally on.

Luckers: I agree with you on the stereotypes being almost like being punched in the face...however; two things to keep in mind.  1.  It's FOX...no big surprise.  2.  They seem to be trying to do a decent job of not having the stereotypes rule or ruin the show.  It's a part of the comedy that seems to REALLY be easy to laught at.  It's very much in the vain of they way that Popular was done, which makes sense because I believe the creator of Popular also created (or at least had a huge hand in creating) this one.  Unlike some people I live with (DALE) I LOVED LOVED LOVED Popular when it was on.

On a more serious-ish note:  Last nights ending is a great set up for next weeks coming out show for Kurt.  I'm SO looking forward to seeing how it's handled. 

Yeah Far, I'm with you.  Those quotes right there were Made of Awesome!  So was the above mentioned exchange about bulimia.  Not that bulimia is funny, it's not, it's the second half of the joke that had me laughing really hard.

Call me crazy, but I also loved the shop teacher story.  Including the totally inappropriate "thumbs up" cake!

I thought this weeks episode was terrific. 

Great dance/song routines, thumbless entertainment, JOSH GROBAN referring to himself in the 3rd person about liking boozing ladies in blouses, Sandy sending nude photos to JOSH GROBAN, random nipple rings, guys failing at walking, Ken Tanaka rapping, and Mercedes Jones can SING.

I also really enjoyed the dancing cheerleaders

I don't like this show as much as I wanted to, but the thumb scene had me chuckling. ^_^

I can't quite put my finger on what it is that doesn't work for me, but I think it might be the pacing and/or the unbelievable characters. Teacher is supposed to be super excited to keep Glee club around, but all it takes for him to basically drop it is a comment about how his choreography isn't good enough? And superbitch cheerleader learns her lesson after a single episode?? They're just not consistent enough, but I'm hoping they settle into it.

I don't like this show as much as I wanted to, but the thumb scene had me chuckling. ^_^

I can't quite put my finger on what it is that doesn't work for me, but I think it might be the pacing and/or the unbelievable characters. Teacher is supposed to be super excited to keep Glee club around, but all it takes for him to basically drop it is a comment about how his choreography isn't good enough? And superbitch cheerleader learns her lesson after a single episode?? They're just not consistent enough, but I'm hoping they settle into it.

Way to bring it all down to earth Cads...but unfortunately, there is major truth to what you say.  I would love to see the storylines get a little more 'settled' as well.  Still in LOVE with the show though.

What Empy said.

I look at this show as pure silly entertainment, thus I'm not really all that interested in the story arc. 

And Re: the cheerleader car wash outfits.  I nearly Died Laughing when I noticed that not only did the cheerleaders have special school color uniform bathing suit tops, but the skirts were special too.  They weren't the regular pleated skirts, but strips of the cheerleader uniform skirts which kind of reminds me of the old drive through car wash scrubbers before everything had to go touchless.  The costume designer for this show is also Made of Win!

That song they did in front of the school body made me blush watching, I couldn't stop laughing and wincing (oh the joys of being empathetic).

I still really like the show, especially the musical numbers and some of the really hilarious lines but I'm not in love with it like I was after the first episode.

Archived