DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

RP anyone?

Kenny

To be fair actually wikia or tower laws is probably a bad place to look for a DM-specific answer.

Try as we might we have a chance to correct some of the things in RJ universe when we RP. The WoT books were never meant or written for roleplay forums, so abiding by all its rules or remaining flexible depends on the writing forum itself (Mirrors, for example, would have allowed you) but I'm unsure on DM's take  ;D

I would suggest you take a look at the DM Rules and Guidelines, as found here: http://www.aliciawilkerson.com/whitetower/?page_id=26

(That's the site that was pointed to time and again in all those pesky quizzes.)

As stated there, Novices are not allowed out of the Tower. Of course, if they want to break the rules and go (for instance, for the Freeday req), that could lead to the Chore req - 2 birds with one stone  ;) (Just remember to get prior OOC approval from me)

Another thing to remember:

E. Discretion. Aes Sedai are expected to restrain themselves in public at all times. You have learnt total self control; you will remain composed and a credit to the Tower at all times. If you cannot control yourself, your reputation will suffer, your future career is damaged and you will be punished for it.

So, any AS who would aid and abet novices / Accepted in breaking the rules, would suffer the consequences (IC) too. For something as serious as this, the least would be a long term ban from any contact whatsoever with N&A. Anything further would have to be run by Claire  :)

Point. OOC guidelines dictate Novices are not permitted to leave the Tower (without prior permission from the MoN I'd imagine.)

But ICly can't Novices go to TV if ordered to by the AS or accompanied by one? It's rare but I do remember taking classes when we were accompanied by an AS teaching outside the Tower itself, in gardens or even in bathhouses around the City. So if, say, on a freeday they were asked to buy something for a Sister and come back, it's believeable enough.

There aren't any OOC guidelines for Novices, apart from do your req threads ... lol.

The IC guidelines are the IC guidelines. Maybe there were times in the past when they weren't followed correctly? Bear in mind that there are often RPs where the rules are broken, with IC consequences if caught.

In the books Elaida questions Nynaeve and Egwene about their disappearance but they told her Liandrin sent them which they couldn't refuse (and weren't punished) since she was an Aes Sedai and the initiates had to obey AS, although Nynaeve was picked on slightly for not questioning the AS as an Accepted. Yet the novices Egwene and Elayne would have had no choice but to jump when Liandrin ordered them to jump (or help). :)

Siuan then sent them out again on her authority. Now I may be mistaken, maybe these are just AS breaking the strongly recommended traditions, but it does seem were such circumstances to arise quite pausible for two novices to be asked to go into the city and buy a pouch of tea for a Sister chore-wise, it wouldn't be rule-breaking on their parts (might seem a touch of an overstep from the Sister). Better yet if they're accompanied by a Sister in the City of Tar Valon to carry her luggage or somesuch, or help out with a soup kitchen, or just enjoy a freeday outside with supervision . . .

Thoughts?

Liandrin was a Black Sister who took advantage of ignorant and rather silly young girls who didn't stop to think. She wasn't a "normal" AS who sent them out on an innocent chore, she abducted them to hand them over to the Seanchan. A "normal" AS wouldn't send a girl out of the Tower Grounds on a chore, because she would know that it is against the rules. 

Guidelines are there, yes. To take it or not (if not we'll face IC consequences). At the same time each AS is trusted with individual space once she's reached the Shawl just as Accepted are given more privileges (larger rooms, choice of study, yard training, and questioning the AS, as well as the expectation that they start fending for themselves). The question here is, would another AS have questioned or intervened with an AS taking two novices out on an errand or a chore? Unless there is reason not to trust the AS with the novices (in which case individual Sisters running lessons would be questioned), and in her home City besides, I do think such guidelines such as curfew should be noted, but not a set rule for RPing AS's "normal" behavior.

It would be as though to claim all Whites ignore emotion (Lillian for one embraces hers as a philosophy). I know some AS who were former members of the GGG who've even participated in pranks with OOC permission from the MoN, and it was great fun even when the Novices were caught (and punished) but the AS escaped without anybody telling on her although the MoN had her suspicions.

Point is, even AS are human :)

wow, didn't expect the big debate lol, but we could maybe RP becoming friends and then Venca offering to show you around town since she knows it so well, ofcourse with OOC permission to venture out of bounds, then get caught and punished and like Elgee said kill two birds with one stone so to speak. Sound good to everyone? 

Edit** also we would need an AS to catch us if Elgee says it's ok, any takers??

• 3 weeks later...

awesome thanks:) ill try to post tonight before bed, take it wherever you want i'm not picky just looking for a fun RP:)

*Edit* I've hit a major road block with this one so it may take a day or two, if you want to post anything before that though be my guest:D