DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Permanent Gateways

Limpan

Hello!

First time poster, long time reader.

So, I´ve been thinking about this for quite some time... Would it be possible to create a permanent Gateway between say Cairhien and Caemlyn? Just tie the weave of and these two cities would essentially be one.

Why didn´t they do this in AOL instead of building bridges like the ones at Whitebridge or Tar Valon? Am I missing something? It just seems like a much more simple solution.

Any ideas?

I'm pretty sure the weaves dissipate if they're tied off (more complex tying will extend the lifetime of the gateway, but not indefinitely). They'd have to have someone check on it every so often if it's tied off in order to create a fresh one or else have someone hold it.

I'm pretty sure the weaves dissipate if they're tied off.
Only if you set them to. The knots to tie off a weave can be permanent or temporary.

Would it be possible to create a permanent Gateway between say Cairhien and Caemlyn?
As far as we know, yes.

Why didn´t they do this in AOL instead of building bridges
Well, it's not necessarily a good idea to set up a permanent hole or similarity in the Pattern.

Actually, I just read in PoD an Elayne PoV that deals quite a bit with gateways. Elayne believes that a gateway cannot be tied off. So i don't think a permanent gateway is possible.

They can be tied off, though we don't know for how long.  Sammael tied off the gateways when he scattered the Shaido, loosely knotting the weave so it would unravel after a short time.

Archived