DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Loss of Ageless-ness.

Astus

I was just wondering about this recently, I know that it has been essentially confirmed that the Aes Sedai attain the ageless look due to the oaths that they take using the oath rods and that channeling itself is not the cause. Leane and Siuan lost the ageless look immediately when they were severed, but we also find out that the oaths themselves have been removed as well. So, I gathered that when the oaths are removed the ageless look itself is gone but then with sisters of the Black Ajah, why is this not the case? I mean, they forswear their oaths to the light in favour of dark ones but shouldn't that interval when they are not held by any oaths count for something? Shouldn't they have to work within the confines of the replaced oaths for a while before gaining the ageless look once again?

Or is it different for a person who has the oaths removed without the loss of the One Power?

I may have missed a passage where something along these lines has been explained. Or I may be missing a simple point completely, in which I would appreciate if someone could enlighten me as to that.

Also on an unrelated note, in ACOS we see Sareitha and Careane along with the rest of the Salidar Aes Sedai in Ebou Dar and I was a bit confused as to how they got there because the first time I recall hearing of them was in the whole exchange in the hall with Mat and the Tower Aes Sedai. There may have been mention of them but I've been skimming through the book and might have not noticed. Were they already there with Merilille or they did they join later on? I'm thinking it's the former but I'm not too sure.

The ageless look is not supposed to fade immediately.  Right after they were stilled, it was commented that it had faded far quicker than normal, probably due to the extremely harsh treatment they had recieved under the hands of Elaida and her interrogation.

When the Black Ajah hunters had they're captured Black Sitter forswear all of her oaths, she didn't lose the look.

@Arath Faringal - So you believe that there is direct correlation between what a person goes through after being stilled and how fast they loss the agelessness? I don't see it to be that way myself. Maybe it is possible though. That is a good point about the BA hunters though.

@Tyrell - I suppose that could be the case but it's still up to debate. I'd like to see a Black Sister being made and going through the rites required, maybe that would help shed some explanation. I'm just wondering if that small interval between oaths could have had an effect.

Ah, I doubt it will ever be fully explained even though I'd hope it would.

@Arath Faringal - So you believe that there is direct correlation between what a person goes through after being stilled and how fast they loss the agelessness? I don't see it to be that way myself. Maybe it is possible though. That is a good point about the BA hunters though.

@Tyrell - I suppose that could be the case but it's still up to debate. I'd like to see a Black Sister being made and going through the rites required, maybe that would help shed some explanation. I'm just wondering if that small interval between oaths could have had an effect.

Ah, I doubt it will ever be fully explained even though I'd hope it would.

I am not gonna look for it, but the reason Suaine and Leannes look faded so fast was because they were put to the question, in a very very rough fashion.  This was in an q and a at some point in the past.  I would also assume, that most of the balck took the oaths before the binder started the ageless look. Ishamael founded the black, and he most certinaly would know how the binders worked.

It could just be that being binding yourself to any rod by the power causes the ageless face regardless of what type of rod.

Galina is bound to Thereva with a rod. Has that broken her binding the rod used to swear to the dark? She hasn't lost her ageless face.

It could just be that being binding yourself to any rod by the power causes the ageless face regardless of what type of rod.

Galina is bound to Thereva with a rod. Has that broken her binding the rod used to swear to the dark? She hasn't lost her ageless face.

That is not a mater of could be, that is a fact.  The binders were for criminals, and it cost you life, also witness the discusions of the Slaidar Aes Sedai.

Actually, Siuan & Leane did not loose their ageless immediately.  The first scenes after the stilling was a day after the stilling.

Amico (Black Ajah) is another indicator of this.  (Amico was stilled in Dragon Reborn, her agelessness was gone in Shadow Rising)

About Sareitha & Careane, the Encyclopaedia site does not tell where they came from.

They being there with Merilille would be most probable.

Archived