DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The rulers of the world

Wesley_O

Alright, sorry if I do anything wrong here, this is my first topic. But, after almost completing my second re-read of the WoT series, I have noticed that several of the current/ to be rulers of certain countries can all touch the TS.

Elayne-Andor, Cairhien (as long as Moiraine doesn't get this)

Tuon- would be able to if she could be convinced Seanchan/ Seanchan held areas.

Rand- if he lives (however it occurs); anywhere he decides to hold onto.

Also possibly Mat and/ or Perrin can channel (never actually tested) and will most likely have thrones.

So, I'm wondering what everyone thinks about the rulers possibly living for 300+ years as well as their heirs. As well as how the world could change because of this.

Having the same ruler for so long means that more will get done.  There will be a consistency that we don't get in the real world because our leaders usually spend have their term undoing the work the guy before them did. And that term is on;y four years.

I don't think Mat and Perrin can channel. It'd make them too "super." They already have unique abilities but them being able to channel would be over the top. And you know they would be among the most powerful since the Old Blood runs strong in the Two Rivers.

But Yeah. Having a ruler who can channel for hundreds of years provides a strong level of consistency. That's part of the reason why Dyelin wanted Elayne on the Lion Throne. It's also going to help Egwene as she tries to rebuild and repair the Tower (she's 18 right now; depending on if she uses the Oath Rod, she'll be alive for atleast another 300 years)

There's only one ruler who can channel. And that's Elayne. Tuon won't have an expanded lifetime because she's not actively channeling. I doubt she will ever choose to because who could the Seanchan who hate and leash anyone who can channel accept one as their Empress? However, it might change if the fact that suldam can channel becomes widespread but it's not likely.

Having the same ruler for so long means that more will get done.
Or just that things will stagnate. A ruler increasingly set in his or her ways, no inrush of new ideas, new blood. Not a recipe for innovation.

There's only one ruler who can channel. And that's Elayne.
Rand?

I think that the rulers are excellent as it stands. I dont like Berelain's lack of respect for established relationships but I do respect her incredibly.

On the subject of surviving for centuries, I think that TG will see to that...

But it's true, Rand, Elayne, Tuon can or could all channel. Wherever Graendal is, she can too, and Demandred.

btw I can see the seanchan having tuon on the throne after finding out that she can channel. and when the seanchan threat has to be dealt with I imagine the tower will send scouts to spread the rumor about them being able to channel

Well the seanchan in Randland maybe. That might be natural that they after the last battle turn their philosphy around. But the seanchan in seanchan will proberly be against it, and if anything that would be a good way to start off the outtrigger series. What better reason not to accept Tuon as their empress in the homeland, than to think of her as a marath damane(ye cant spell it... should have learnt by now)

Also i wouldnt be suprised if people from Randland would somehow flee to Seanchan and become powerful :) afterall a series where the only people you remember is Mat and Tuon, wouldnt be as fun as if you would ressurect some of the old characters.

Rand?

I was under the impression the topic was Post-Tarmon Gai'don. It is generally believed Rand won't be ruler  after Tarmon Gai'don. He might not even be alive.

Elayne is currently the only ruler who can actively channel. Question: Would Morgase have an extended lifespan because she could channel albeit barely?

I don't think the Seanchan would take kindly to learning their Empress is marath'damane. If it could be smoothed over, why did the Seekers go through so much trouble to suppress it?

However, when Tuon finds out she can channel, she says she's different from the Aee Sedai because she chooses not to, so that could support her on the throne.

So as I said before, Elayne is the only ruler who can channel. Semirhage didn't rule although she had influence, Graendal didnt rule (only had influence ((in Arad Doman)) as there is a civil war in Shara).

I don't think the Seanchan would take kindly to learning their Empress is marath'damane. If it could be smoothed over, why did the Seekers go through so much trouble to suppress it?

when the Seanchan continue their conquests Egwene will send some people in to spread rumors among the people, and if contact between the Seandar and the Seanchan held lands continued sometime the rumor would be taken back to Seandar causing social upheaval

Rand?
I was under the impression the topic was Post-Tarmon Gai'don. It is generally believed Rand won't be ruler  after Tarmon Gai'don. He might not even be alive.

Elayne is currently the only ruler who can actively channel.

No. Rand can also channel. See, even if this topic is about post-TG, your posts aren't. There is only one ruler who can channel, Elayne is currently the only one who can channel. You speak to the present, not the future.
Question: Would Morgase have an extended lifespan because she could channel albeit barely?
Yes. She has already slowed.

• 2 weeks later...
Elayne is currently the only ruler who can actively channel.

Are you forgetting that Rand is the King of Illian currently?

He was essentially "ruling" Tear and Cairhien as well, and maybe to some degree Andor until he knew that Elayne was on her way to come claim the throne he was holding onto for her.  Heh, if only he'd not used such a poor choice of words saying he was "giving" her the throne...but whatever.

Cairhien is being kept intact by Dobraine currently for Rand until someone else with a rightful claim comes to that throne, but they still obey Rand.  Tear will be Darlin's Kingdom, but only  because they wouldn't accept him in Tear as only a steward for the DR. (I do sometimes wonder what would have happened with this whole storyline if Mat had killed Darlin when they fought at the Stone when Mat broke in to save the Supergirls).  Illian is the only country that came forth and just offered Rand the crown, partly from fear and partly because he kept their people fed with the grain coming in.  I guess you could argue that since Mattin Stepaneos(sp?) is still alive then he's still the rightful king there, but Rand has the Crown of Swords and the Council of Nine did CHOOSE him, so unless Mattin finds a way to reclaim his throne I'd say he's probably SOL, particularly since Elaida is rapidly losing support as Amyrlin.  Maybe Egwene could help him out once she secures herself as rightful Amyrlin?  She does seem to want to at least get the right people in good with Rand, and I think she feels sorry for Mattin.  I could so see her bullying Rand into giving that crown back, and it would get his back up because chances are, because overall he's a decent guy, he probably would have done that anyway.

Archived