DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

White Tower Mafia *Starting*

Guest dragonsworn1991

Guest dragonsworn1991

Well it is tuesday, we still haven't had people check in. So if still people don't check in I will be finding replacements.

Deadline is Monday at 9pm est

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its basically a free for all except that there are teams of three. Each Ajah is supposed to vote members of the other Ajah's off so that their Ajah wins. I don't think its based on suspicion. To start off you'd use a random reason and go from there. I think each Ajah is supposed to argue why their Ajah should prevail so their members don't get voted off.

I think the points are that there is no mafia and we are trying to accumulate points for ter’angreal.

So, that being said in the first post would lead us to believe there is no Black Ajah. I like the idea of the last team being the Amyrlin, Keeper and MoN. The numbers work with that idea.

If I remember right DS also said there wouldn't be any mod kills. If that is still true then I vote for a No Kill for day one. We don't have to worry about loosing anyone and we can all try to figure out what we are doing a little better. If there were a mod kill I would vote for a lynching. I would go for the person who appears to be posting a lot and might get the most votes. That would go for if they aren't in your Ajah of course.

If I remember right DS also said there wouldn't be any mod kills. If that is still true then I vote for a No Kill for day one. We don't have to worry about loosing anyone and we can all try to figure out what we are doing a little better. If there were a mod kill I would vote for a lynching. I would go for the person who appears to be posting a lot and might get the most votes. That would go for if they aren't in your Ajah of course.

Genius.  Pure genius.

I know folks haven't checked in yet, but I'm placing the first offical vote.  And, I'm slightly intoxicated, so if anybody wants to take advantage of me, I'm easier than usual.  Which is pretty damn easy if I say so myself. ^_^  There.  I just said so. *nods*

[glow=red,2,300]No Lynch[/glow]

On the other hand, guys, let me just say that games tend to stagnate when no one is voting for a lynch.

We do need time to figure out what we're doing, but what we're doing is playing a game where not everyone can survive.  Not lynching anyone on Day 1 doesn't help us out at all.  Unless we get some great discussions going on how and who we want to lynch at some point, I'm going to advocate a lynch for Day 1.

I don't care if someone ends up targeting me for that.  If I start people talking, and I get lynched, at least the game WENT somewhere because of it.

We really can only learn by doing, here.

So, I suggest we at least TRY for a lynch, and if we don't get one, at least we tried to figure out how this is going to work.

The sole reason why I think a No Lynch is appropriate is due to none of us having powers.  If there actually is an "evil" team out there, we need those points to purchase powers.  And clothes. >_>

Am I right in saying we don't need to buy a lynch?

We can still earn points while we discuss a lynch.

I'm sorry, Verb, but you're not making much sense with your logic.

Could you be a bit clearer? :-\

That depends....do I have to stop drinking?  :-\

But really....the issue is that not a lot of us are wanting to put our necks out, and this many individual teams makes it hard to come to a consensus.

Honestly, I never go for a No Lynch on Day 1...or pretty much ever.  But this isn't a normal mafia game, and I have no problem with trying something new.  If nobody is on board, then I'm fine with an actual lynch.  There might not even be a "mafia" in this game.

But really....the issue is that not a lot of us are wanting to put our necks out, and this many individual teams makes it hard to come to a consensus.

Honestly, I never go for a No Lynch on Day 1...or pretty much ever.  But this isn't a normal mafia game, and I have no problem with trying something new.  If nobody is on board, then I'm fine with an actual lynch.  There might not even be a "mafia" in this game.

I understand what you're saying about the consensus issue, and about no one wanting to be lynched.  I really do.  This game is going to be so challenging.  I truly believe this is going to be a game to remember for always.

I don't think there is a "mafia."  There isn't.  The point of the game, as Pete has said a few times, is for one Ajah to emerge triumphant.  Or the solo winner, whoever that is.  That's the point.  It's not so much "kill the Mafia before they kill you," it's "Prove yourself the best Ajah and survive to take the win."

Having said that, I think we need to start the game.  We can't dwell in RP-land forever.  We HAVE to do something.  The only thing we CAN do at this point is figure our way to a lynch.  Until we lynch someone, we don't even know if we CAN lynch someone without falling apart.

So, this is basically a popularity contest, eh? I think that we have to game the system a little bit. I agree that no lynching is as useless as it always is.

Proposals:

1) We lynch one person from each ajah each day

2) We lynch persons of one ajah until they're dead, then move onto the next Ajah.

Which one seems best? I don't really care, myself.

Also, if anybody wants to form a temporary and strategic alliance in which I won't vote for their death and they won't vote for mine, I'm available.  ;)

One major problem with BOTH of your propositions:

I doubt that anyone is going to reveal their Ajah.

It's pretty much supposed to remain a secret, although it's not a rule, I believe.

If there's any way for it not to be a popularity contest, I am sure many of us here are dying to find it.  I would hate to descend into that battlefield, because chances are it could cause lasting damage.

That's what we're trying to figure out.  How we can avoid making this game overly political.

But it may well end up that way. *shrugs*

Oh, Meesh, it's only a game. People shouldn't take it too seriously.

All we need to do to find out someone's Ajah is to bandwagon them until they're either dead - at which point their ajah is hopefully revealed - or they crack. If they lie, that might be as useful as if they do not.

Oh, Meesh, it's only a game. People shouldn't take it too seriously.

You're right-- it is just a game.  They SHOULDN'T. However, we're bound to have at least ONE person who's sensitive....  Some people do take the games very seriously.  I understand that's not really our problem if they do, but it would be nice to avoid that possibility if we can. *shrugs*  That's all I'm saying.

All we need to do to find out someone's Ajah is to bandwagon them until they're either dead - at which point their ajah is hopefully revealed - or they crack. If they lie, that might be as useful as if they do not.

Yes, so we find out what Ajah they're in.  Whoopee.  Your propositions are based on the assumption that we know who EVERYONE'S Ajah is.  If you bandwagon me, and I crack or get lynched, you know what my Ajah is.  Okay, great.

How are you going to go about figuring who else is in my Ajah?  Or, how can you be sure that the next person you lynch isn't a member of my same Ajah?

You can't base it by Ajahs.  You can't say,

"We can go after Ajah X until they're gone" because no one in Ajah X is going to tell you they're connected to each other.  Say Jill is from Ajah X.  We lynch her.  We know she's from Ajah X.  Okay, now, who else is in Ajah X? Has lynching Jill helped us figure that out? No.

Your other scenario was:

"We can lynch one person from each Ajah every day."  Okay, so we lynch Jill from Ajah X.  We decide to lynch Mary.  But what Ajah is Mary?  She could be Ajah A, or she could be another Ajah X.

I'm sorry to go into so much detail on why your proposals won't work, but they won't.  Unless everyone agrees to come out and say their Ajah right from the start, we can't plan our lynches out that way at all.

Well, yes. They're great plans, but they have to be undermined by players at some point or they'll end in a draw. So I don't think that what you propose are big problems.

The other option is just to create a chaotic bunch of alliances. Meesh, want to ally yourself with me? You can trust me, really  :-*

Guys, may I point out something?

ONE extra day to the game isn't exactly 'dragging the game out'. Being patient for one day and see what kind of night actions there are and how exactly the point distribution system works (which is done only during the night) can very well be a good thing in the long run. The one thing we lack right now is kowledge. Knowledge on how this game works, what we're supposed to do, who we're supposed to be suspicious off (short of everyone), etc. Some of that knowledge will come with the first night, when we will learn and see how the night actions work. There is no maffia, so there are no Night Kills and since no one has earned any points yet there's also no risk yet of anyone being killed by one of the townspeople in a night action. Basically, this is the only day and night in the entire game that we 'can' be sure of being safe.

In a normal maffia game a no lynch would invite a modkill and that alone for me is reason to try to go for a lynch. However, as others have said, this is FAR from being a normal maffia game. And you can't think as you would otherwise in another maffia game.

Those that are short on the patience stick, consider it a training session ;)

I would really recommend that we do indeed hold off lynching anyone this first day and accumulate whatever knowledge we can get from the night, so that we don't accidentally shoot ourselves in the foot.

Meesh, it's been a few pages now that we left the RP-ing behind. We're not exactly dwelling in RP-land as you call it LOL.

To the RP-Land Comment:

We are many pages out of it but the vast majority of those pages have been within the last 24 hours.  Pages accumulate quickly, and some people have not even come into the discussion.  I was just worried that people would come and see that people didn't want a lynch, and then just go back to their RP-ing because they want to earn the bonus points.

That's what I meant.

And as for patience, yeah I'm impatient.  Do you realize that if we're going to hold off on a lynch until AFTER night phase, we have to wait for at least a week in RL-time?  Or almost a full week, anyway. 

That's a long time to go and wait to learn all this special information that Night should bring us.  I highly doubt this game can really go anywhere in the day phase except a lynch or more Role plays.  There's only so much discussion that can be done before we need action.  If this game was shorter, and the deadline closer, I'd agree with your logic.  But a week is a long time to keep a still pool from going stagnant.  And stagnant games aren't fun at all.  They're boring, they're disappointing, and something inevitably needs to happen.

One more point.

I would like to question how on earth we could "shoot ourselves in the foot" by mistake.  This is very nearly an "Every Man for Himself" game.  If we lynch ANYONE, it benefits SOMEONE.  It does.  There is no true mafia.  Everyone is your enemy except those in your Ajah.  You cannot apply regular Mafia game logic to this.  There is no "we" except when we need to get a lynch, and when we're referring to the game in general.

If we lynch a Brown, how does that shoot us in the foot?  If there's an Amyrlin, and we lynch him/her, how does that shoot us in the foot?  Every person we lynch takes us ALL closer to a win.

It's different and hard to understand, I know, but I'm in another game that is very similar to this in that there's no "mafia" and everyone is fending for themselves, so to speak.  I know that you cannot shoot yourself in the foot unless you take out someone important to you specifically.  If we lynch one of your Ajah-mates, then yeah, sucks to be you.  But the rest of us have just taken one step closer to winning.

There are 24 people in this game, with no random lynch. It is going to take long enough as it is. As I see this game, is to think of yourselves as mafia and you want to get rid of the rest of the innocents. We may not be using the term mafia, but that is what it is. Each Ajah will want to be the only ones standing, exactly like the mafia team. I don't agree with a no lynch at all. This is a matter of getting on with the task in hand. We are Aes Sedai after all, and have tasks at hand and wouldn't flinch from it.

A no lynch is not going to going to benefit anyone at all, just slow up the game! Which may go on for a while anyway!

yes, the game will take a long time, with or without a lynch. But you are forgetting one of the big parts of this game: we earn points with relevant posts. The more relevent posts we can make in one day, the more points we earn. So it is in our own interest that these days last for a while, as that will give us a better chance of earning those points. Yes, that's done by posting, discussing, debating and interacting. That's been announced as a major part of this particular maffia game as well. No one said this would be a rapidly finished game, in fact Dragon mentioned before that it would be very intense and heavily on the activity.

Aes Sedai know patience, composure and serenity at all times while at the same time can move into action at the blink of an eye. Rushing head first into stuff is not the Aes Sedai way, it's what foolish novices do. Taking a minimum of time to assess a situation, gather info and come up with a gameplan is not 'flinching' from a task at hand. It's common sense.

Archived