DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Gaidal Cain reborn

Discomandavis

Yes but he dissappears during the time that Aram chooses to take up the sword, which could very well be his rebirth, because Aram chooses a new life. Also Aram wears his sword over his shoulder like Gaidal was described as (i know gaidal has two swords I am just saying coicidence)

Yes but he dissappears during the time that Aram chooses to take up the sword, which could very well be his rebirth, because Aram chooses a new life. Also Aram wears his sword over his shoulder like Gaidal was described as (i know gaidal has two swords I am just saying coicidence)

There are a few things that Aram and Gaidal dont have in common. Aram is quite handsome, tall and old. Neither are used to discribe Gaidal .

That's not how it works. The heroes are reborn--specifically including birth. They do not supplant pre-existing souls.

Were did you read that, I checked all over WOT Encyclopedia and find no such guidelines on rebirth.

i have to agree with Luckers, that is the defining part of rebirth, the actaul birth.

a change of personality is not the same as a change of soul

All is changed. Gaidal is out there somewhere, an infant, or even a young boy. But even if I find him, what will he think of a woman more than old enough to be his mother.

The Fires of Heaven, Ch. 36 A New Name

This is said by Birgitte to Elayne, she specifically references Gaidal as an infant or young boy, which Aram is not. Aram is practically a man grown when Perrin meets him in Eye of the World.

I guess I just don't feel like Robert Jordan would have a legendary warrior rebirthed if he wasn't going to play a part in some way, since the last battle is near there is no way a baby would be old enough by this time. Thus my theory.

It would be pretty clichéd to have a legendary warrior rebirthed just before a legendary battle...

I guess I just don't feel like Robert Jordan would have a legendary warrior rebirthed if he wasn't going to play a part in some way, since the last battle is near there is no way a baby would be old enough by this time. Thus my theory.

RJ have repeatedly talked about how he does not want to leave a world where everything all of a sudden is fine and dandy, just because some kind of final battle has been fought. Cain being reborn now means that there is a part for him to play years from now.

Him being reborn now is also important for the development of Birgittes character.

Amd btw, why would RJ have a legendary warrior "reborn" as a young man, only to have him killed without having accomplised anything other than giving Perrin something to feel a bit guilty about?

Like all the other people have said, there's no way. It's specifically mentioned that they are reborn as, well, newborns. There's also the problems with how Aram is a pretty handsome guy, and Gaidal Cain was always anything but handsome. It also wouldn't make much sense for RJ to do that, and then have him die trying to kill Perrin for rubbish reasons.

Personally, I always thought Olver was a much more likely person for Gaidal to be reborn as, going along under the assumption that he's known to us in some way. Raised by various soldiers, ugly, short. I know there is always the argument "We see Gaidal only a book or so before Olver" but Brigitte herself speaks of the time difference, and who are any of us to say how large that difference may be? I'm just pulling this out of the air, of course, but it would be interesting.

there will be plenty of jobs for legendary warriors after the last battle.  it will still be chaos everywhere, stories to be made.

So now that the original theory is shot down, does anyone have any idea who Gaidal is? I always thought it was Olver, but that theory has been shot down correct? Any ideas?

Well the only thing going against this theory is that Gaidal appears only a book or two before Olver shows up, Olver being nine years old makes for a bit of a discrepancy between Gaidal's disappearance and Olver's birth. However this is countered with the argument that we can't really know the difference between times in the "real" world and T'A'R, so we cannot say whether or not this is possible.

Of course, going in the same vein as the "Aram can't be Gaidal because of his age," if you removed "Aram" and inserted any male cast member's name it's essentially the same.

Again if Gaidal is any character we've seen, I'm betting on Olver. Both share having fallen off the ugly tree, short stature, and being skilled young and eager for adventure.

Who says Cain is going to show up? RJ is giving us a glimpse into a very brief few years of this world, the narrative might not stop dead after TG but that doesn't mean we're going to go fifteen years beyond to see what happens when Cain grows up looking for Birgete. I believe in one of the interviews with either RJ or Brandon it is said that not all story lines are neatly tied up. Just like the real world.

So now that the original theory is shot down, does anyone have any idea who Gaidal is? I always thought it was Olver, but that theory has been shot down correct? Any ideas?

Well the only thing going against this theory is that Gaidal appears only a book or two before Olver shows up, Olver being nine years old makes for a bit of a discrepancy between Gaidal's disappearance and Olver's birth. However this is countered with the argument that we can't really know the difference between times in the "real" world and T'A'R, so we cannot say whether or not this is possible.

RJ stated that Olver is not Gaidal.

Archived