DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

When rand became a warder

Liam_1993

??? I'm currently reading book number 6 and just got to the point to where alanna bonded rand as her warder without his permission and i was gobsmacked but rand was not really that bothered after a while why is this? Why Did alanna do this any way?  What was the point?  ???

Remember that Alana had just lost one of her Warders and it takes a long time for a sister to recover from that big of a loss.  There is also the possibility that Rands taverenism helped cause this event to happen.

The reason Rand doesn't seem to care that much is not really known.  In the begining, I think he doesn't know that he could be released from the bond.  In his mind - what can't be changed must be endured.

Not that big of an issue when you are trying to save the world.

??? I'm currently reading book number 6 and just got to the point to where alanna bonded rand as her warder without his permission and i was gobsmacked but rand was not really that bothered after a while why is this?

I think Rand wasn't really bothered because it didn't really affect him.  It's the same mentality as losing his hand.  He has to adjust, but the Aes Sedai aren't able to compel him through the bond.

Why Did alanna do this any way?   What was the point?  ???

The Aes Sedai want more control over the Dragon Reborn.

It's also that fatalistic belief about how Aes Sedai do what they do. He wasn't really surprised, nor did he feel completely violated because deep down he had a social perception that that is what Aes Sedai are supposed to do.

Doesn't make it right though--which is why I love that Cadsuane rats her out to the Wise Ones.

I think Rand wasnt bothered because he knew he benefits from the bond. Sure he feels Alanna in his mind along with everything else, and it grates that an Aes Sedai got one over on him, but he doesnt need as much rest and he heals faster from normal wounds, as well as any other benefit Warders get. Pros and cons.

It does raise an interesting possibility, when the Aes Sedai oaths are taken into consideration. Do not use the power as a weapon except for a number of things, including defending the life of your warder. Not that i for a moment think this was in any way on Alannas mind when she bonded rand, but it does provide her with more freedom to use the power when it concerns Rand.

He was bothered by it. He panicked and was a thundercloud after the event, riding through Caemlyn like a madman if I remember correctly.

This is true.  Consistent with Luckers' comment earlier, he then beats himself up a little bit for again underestimating an AS, and for not seeing something like this coming.  I think from that point, through his own force of will, he moves on almost as if nothing happened.  We know she's unable to compel him through the bond.  Also, even though we know there are benefits to the bond (added strength, stamina etc) we don't see anything of this sort from Rand's POVs in the story.

NOTE:  While she has a bond and can keep a sense of where Rand is... I think the bond is a bigger burden on her.  We know she's unable to compel & coerce him in any way.  She feels his all consuming pain from the unhealing wounds and other issues.  I believe she feels and can sense his sorrows & pressures and also the rock hard, emotionless wall he's put up. 

haha wouldnt that totally blow, bonding him to control him finding out you cant do anything to effect what he does, after that having to deal with all the damage his physical body takes :P

would that mean she shares a link with moridin? just came to me

I don't think so. She doesn't share a link with Elayne/Aviendha/Min, and they don't share the link with Moridin, as far as I can tell from their POVs. (I haven't read the later books in a while, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.)

Why Alanna bonded Rand?

Some possibilities on the reason:

-Recent loss of a Warder.

-Ever since meeting the 3 taveren, she believed that someone should track them.

-Not being permitted to bond Perrin.

Rand's first reaction to the bond seemed to be like a panic, not exactly accepting it.

But after learning that he could not do much about it, he calmed down.

I don't think so. She doesn't share a link with Elayne/Aviendha/Min, and they don't share the link with Moridin, as far as I can tell from their POVs. (I haven't read the later books in a while, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.)

Interesting question RE: Moridin.  However, I also do not think there is any connection with Morridin on the basis that the Rand / Moridin link is different than the Warder bond between the others. 

I would also suggest that there is a connection / link between Rand, Alanna, Elayne, Avi and Min.  Remember the Rand / Elayne scene when Min was trying to find a way to block the connection?  So, I would assume Alanna is quite aware of things through her bond. 

I am not sure at all how anyone can say it did not bother him or he does not care. Even after He was bonded by Min, Avhienda and Elayne, he mentions the bond.  There is big differance with being botherd, and not letting it slow you. 

As to why she did it, go back and read when it happend, she says it should had hapapend long ago, to all 3 of the Dandy 3. 

Archived