DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

question about horn of valere(spelling?)

AtheistPeace

OK so in TGH when the horn calls all the heros back Artur Hawkwing(spelling?) says we come to the horn blower or something but we follow the banner and makes them put up the dragon banner but then through all the other books it says if the dark blows it it will work for them as well. But do they need the banner too? Can anyone clear this up for me? Thanks!!

I don't think there is a full explination from RJ on this, but I believe that the way it works is they always follow the leader of their number.

First in line is The Dragon, second is Auther Hawking (I there may be someone between them who like Rand is spun out). If their leader is spun out and at the site of the Horn Sounding they will follow him rather than the Horn Sounder in the form of his "battle standard", but if he is not present, or is at present bound to the Horn they will follow the Sounder.

Guest Majsju

This was most likely a unique incident. They were called at a turning point, the Wheeel demanded that the Dragon Reborn proclaimed himself, and forced events to make damn sure he did. RJ has confirmed that it was the Wheel that displayed Rand's fight against Ishy all over the place, and when that happened, Taim and the other false dragon were struck down, a direct result of the real Dragon being proclaimed.

Implanting the need for the Dragon banner was most likely another push by the Wheel.

My feeling is that its a combination of what Maj said, and the fact that Hawkwing is still human with as much a desire for the drama of a moment as anyone else. To a soldier it would have felt right to follow a banner, so he asked... if it hadn't been there he likely would have pouted and gone on anyway.

Archived