DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Just who are the main characters in WOT?

All this talk about one of the "main characters" being absent from TGS has got me thinking about exactly who are the main characters. This would be the main character hierarchy as I see it:

Rand

Mat, Perrin, Egwene

Nyneave

Elayne, Thom, Moiraine,

Min, Avihenda, Lan, Loial

Faile, Berelain, Verin, Suain, Cadsuane

Leanne, Logain, Galad, Gawyn, Tuon,

Alanna, Morgase, Juilin

I'm sure I've left a few out but this covers most of whom I would even remotely call a main character.  However, in the strictest since of the phrase I would say that Rand, Mat, Perrin and Egwene are the only true main characters with all others playing supporting roles of varying importance.  Nyneave was very hard to place, as an argument could be made that she is also a main character because she does get alot of screen time that is independent from any of the 4 main characters.  However, somehow she just doesn't seem quite as central to the plot.

IMO, second tier should be anyone who gets large and numerous POV sections.  I'd move Nynaeve and Elayne up to that second tier.  For the third tier, maybe anyone who gets more than one plot-significant viewpoint and/or anyone who figures significantly into the lives of the plot characters but doesn't normally get any POVs?

I think Elayne should be where Nynaeve is. BS has stated she is one of the top five main characters.

No, he has said that Elayne has one of the five main archs. Nynaeve is (imo) more of a main character than Elayne, but she is currently a part of Rands arch.

I would bump down Moiraine a few steps. She has been mia for more than half the story, and tht kinda disqualifies her from being anywhere near the top. She should be with Cadsuane.

Faile should be on the same tier as Min and Avi. I would bump Lan down from that tier, one or two steps. He is mostly a supporting character, all his actions are determined by others.

My list is based on a hybrid of character importance, character "screen time," and amount of character POV

1)  Rand, Mat, Perrin,

2)  Egwene, Nyneave, Elayne,

3)  Moiraine, Min, Avihenda,

4)  Lan, Faile, Thom, Cadsuane, Tuon

5)  Berelain, Verin, Suain, Loial, Logain, Galad, Gawyn

6)  Leanne, Gareth Bryne, Tam

7)  Alanna, Morgase, Juilin

Honestly the lower levels are hit and miss, there are probably several other characters who I have missed out who could fit on the lower to or three levels.

*edited for more characters

and that doesn't cover any of the Dark One's forces.  I'd put some of the forsaken on that list and fain and taim and some of the BA etc...

Screen time =/= importance.

Rand is with out a doubt the central character in TRD but he barely gets any screen time.

I'd go with:

#1.Most Important Character : Asmodean (he gets bumped up a level for every "who killed Asmodean" discussion so currently he's about 500 levels above Rand) / Graendal 'cause she killed him (ducks and covers)

#2.Character who gets the most bloody attention : Faile Bashere (apparently, based on Perrin spending more page time chasing after her than he does trying to find Rand in TDR *eyeroll*)

#1.Top level for real, main character : Rand

#2.Main characters who aren't the messiah : Mat / Perrin / Ishamael(Both bodies, he's key to the whole story) / Moiraine / Shai'tan / Lews Therin Telamon, arguably

#3.Primary Main-Supporting Cast : Cadsuane / Suian / Thom / Nynaeve / Aviendha / Tuon / Logain(Perhaps doesn't deserve to be a level 3 character, but IIRC he gets mentioned in every single book, and screen time in most of them + he's going to do something seriously awesome) / Verrin / Elaida / Demandred probably / Lanfear maybe / Semirhage maybe / Min (Egwene and Elayne would have been here, but they annoy the hell out of me, so they won't be appearing on this list, oh no)

#4. Secondary Main-Supporting Cast : Lan / Galad / Juilin Sandar (maybe) / Lindarin / Leane / Sheriam / Gareth Bryne / Taim till we find out wth is going on with him, then he probably gets bumped to the "primary main-supporting cast" level / Davram Bashere / Rest of the Forsaken / Suroth maybe / Berelain maybe otherwise down a level / Amys / Bair / Sorilea / the other few Wise Ones who get loads of screen time, usually spanking Egwene or otherwise involving naked Egewne  / Bain Chiad and Gaul maybe, otherwise they get bumped down together / Rhuarc / Damar Flinn / Jahar Narishma

#5. Supporting Cast : Bayle Domon / Egeanin / Masema / Setalle Anan / other Aiel Chiefs / named Asha'man and Aes Sedai who appear in the foreground / Darlin / Named members of the Band of the Red Hand / Tam al'thor / named inhabitants of Emond's Field / Tylin / Morgase / Talavanor / Named Seanchan Generals and High Lords / Named rulers of other lands / "Great Captains" / Birgitte

#6. Other Supporting Cast : Unnamed Asha'man and Aes Sedai, also named Asha'man and Aes Sedai who do nothing aside from appear in the background / Heroes of the Horn

#7. Everyone else with screen time

#8. Peasants, Trollocs, Cannon Fodder, Others

#Infinity +1. People who I want to die, right now, please : Gawyn

I take the simple view, the main are  Rand, Perrin, Mat, Egwene and Nynaeve.   They started the story, and will finish it.   

And Elayne Im afraid.

I doubt any of those six will be the ones we dont see though, apparantly the one main we wont see is at the bottom of the main character list. You never know, it could have been Moiraine he was talking about.

I agree with Tyrell pretty much completely since he went and added all (or most) of the characters I missed because I was tired and lazy. The only thing I would change would be moving Elayne up like OptimusPrime mentioned.

I take the simple view, the main are  Rand, Perrin, Mat, Egwene and Nynaeve.   They started the story, and will finish it.   

And Elayne Im afraid.

I doubt any of those six will be the ones we dont see though, apparantly the one main we wont see is at the bottom of the main character list. You never know, it could have been Moiraine he was talking about.

I always looked at the main characters of the story in this order.....

1.  Rand, Mat Perrin

2.  Elayne, Nynaeve, Egwene

3.  Min, Aviendha, Elaida

4.  Forsaken, Padan Fain, Lews Therin Telamon

5.  Faile, Thom, Tuon, Siuan

6.  Cadsuane, Logain, Mazrim Taim

7.  Alanna, Lan, Moiraine, Sheriam, Leane, Verin, Aiel Wise Ones.

8.  Juilin, Damer Flinn, Narishma

And Elayne Im afraid.

I guess Elayne could be one also, though I hope we are done with her for awhile.  She has the crown, and the less I have to read of her the better.  While I do not dislike her as much as Falie, it is very close.  The nerve of her blaming Rand for her getting with child makes me sick.  As if she did not drag Rand to her bed. And also, her childish borish behavior is almost as bad as Falies.

That's not correct. The characters that started the story are Rand, Tam, and Bela.

On a more serious note: I agree with OPtimusPrime. This list if correct, if you add Elayne.

Logain, Min, Aviendha, Moiraine, Lan, Faile, Taim, Verin, Elaida, Siuan, and Lanfear as secondary (I probably forget a couple in this list  :-[)

Archived