DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Can aes sedai create elements?

Liam_1993

I mean elements of the periodical table like Iron or Helium

Because if they could then this could be the answer to the aes sedai flying mystery.  By creating helium they could float then using a srtong wind float about,  follow?   

Just an idea  ;D  any comments ??? :-X :D

You've got me thinking though. Even if they can't create matter?  Could they create energy?

They can't destroy it. In the part where Rand and Elayne are in the stone of tear, they talk about putting heat somewhere after it has been channeled.

But they must be creating energy, or else when they make a fire ball it would getting colder in the surrounding area. Or something else that dissipates energy. It would be wild if it got quieter.

Some people say the the energy comes from the one source. Is it infinite. Could it be used up? If its finite, how does it replenish itself?

They pull the water from the humidity in the air. In TSR, when Rand makes it rain, he has to search pretty hard to find enough moisture to make it rain.

I don't think Aes Sedai can do subatomic manipulation, because it's mentioned several times that you need to be able to see the flows you are weaving and I don't think they'd be able to weave finer than they can see.  On the other hand, there's a weave to create cuendillar, which changes iron into something else entirely, which would have to be SOME kind of subatomic manipulation. Or we can just wave our hands over that and say "Its MAAAAAAAAGIC".

Generally speaking, all of the things done with the Power follow some kind of known scientific law. Other than obvious examples like creating cuendillar, or making feathers into flowers, most things have a rational explanation. After all, Jordan was a nuclear engineer before he decided to take up writing. But occasionally, it just looks damn cool.

they must be able to because water is an made up of elements and they see the just pull that out of knowhere i'm confused  ???    and fire has to be something burning like hydrogen doesnt it?  :-\ ???

Fire is fueled by something burning. But, fire itself is the photons released when the excited electrons drop to lower energy orbitals. Wow, don't look I cool.

Anywho, the Aes Sedai could make fire balls if they can control energy with their minds.

While I was re-reading in The Great Hunt last night, in that scene where Nynaeve and Siuan throw each other around with Air, Siuan makes a ball of liquid sheepstongue root (or something that looks and tastes the same?) appear, and floats it into Nynaeve's mouth. Where did she get it from? Did she create it out of nothing, was it an illusion, did she get the ingredients out of the surroundings, or was there some of the liquid present in the room?

I always envisioned the different 5 elements being:

Water: Control of fluid matter

Air: Control of gas matter

Earth: Control of solid matter

Spirit: Control of "soul matter"

Fire: Control of Chemical Reactions

Going by these descriptions, creating Helium (which would require doubling hydrogen atoms, or for example splitting air atoms to smaller pieces) would use Air and Fire. The weave most certainly would be complex though...

fire itself is the photons released when the excited electrons drop to lower energy orbitals. Wow, don't look I cool.

Yeah though the atoms in which said electrons drop in are within the soot produced by the incomplete conbustion of the material. So for there to be a fireball as disecribed, you must have a confined gas that burns slowly but doesn't combust completely. In the use of fireballs, at least in the later books, they produce explosions when they hit the target. This present several possibilities, firstly, there are two different gasses, one on the outside which burns slowly, the second on the inside which combusts explsively. The second possibility is that there is only one gas which is stopped from exploding in flight by weaves. The third possibility is that the fieball is really an illuision which hides a weave thats goes of at the point of contact.

Archived