DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Shanara's Coming To the White Tower [Attn: TaeaDawn!]

shanara74

Shanara dismounted from the horse she'd been allowed to use in front of the Gates of the White Tower.

She looked upwards in awe. Surveying what she could from the bottom of the Steps, she was more and more dumbstruck every minute. How in the world did anyone manage to build something that tall? Of course, she'd seen Whitebridge, in Andor, but the width of that simply didn't compare to... the sheer height of this monstrosity of a bone needle. A sudden tap on her shoulder brought Shan out of her reverie. Smoothing her navy divided skirts anxiously, she turned to face an elaborately coiffed Aes Sedai wearing a low-cut, forest colored, full-skirted dress (as was the latest fashion in Tar Valon). The woman had coolly blue eyes and an elaborate coif; Shanara doubted she could replicate it if she tried. She'd never seen that many curls fitted onto a person's head before. The Aes Sedai bore a quirky smile and the Flame of Tar Valon on a grren-fringed shawl.

"Are you Shanara Al'Kaoud?" she asked briskly.

"Yes, uh, Aes Sedai," Shanara replied.

Does that cover it?" Aramina responded.

"Um, I think so," Shanara said.

Aramina nodded to the girl and was glad she was keeping pace. She'd been nearly bowled over in the hallways of the Tower by a young Aes Sedai who had quickly told her she had left a young girl by the gates. Another one of those who believed an initiate had to find her way on her own to understand her place in the White Tower, to see how vast it was and how lost they were without Aes Sedai help. Aramina wasn't one of those. She had been a frightened but headstrong girl herself who would have died of hunger before asking for help. She sighed lightly, the only sign of exasperation she allowed herself, then had headed out to find the girl.

She looked her over from the side, thinking about what the other Aes Sedai had said. Blue or Green, maybe Brown? She shook her head. What a fool thing, to think after a couple days travel she would know a girl well enough to know her future Ajah. But if the girl had promise they always needed more soldiers in the Battle Ajah.

Upon seeing her, Aramina was glad to find the girl would follow when she was told to, without a lot of superfilous talking and questions. She slowed her pace a bit and allowed the girl to take in the White Tower as they walked through the doors and into it's halls.

She softened her tone slightly as she continued talking to her. "I suppose I should complete your first lesson on the White Tower" she said with a small smile to make up for her earlier harsh words. It wasn't the girls fault that Aramina had been interrupted and had felt the need to see the girl to the right place. "The Yellow Ajah is concerned with healing, the White with logic, the Gray's with peace and negotiating, the red with catching men who can channel, the Blues follow causes, the Brown's knowledge, and the Green's prepare for the Last Battle. We are not all that shallow though. Most of the Ajah's overlap somewhat, their causes linking them together. That is something you won't need to decide right now though. Over the course of your training, you will be taught much and you will learn more about each Ajah. Once you are ready for the shawl, then you will have to make that choice. For most, that choice becomes very clear before the task is at hand."

"As a novice, you need to respond appropriately to any Aes Sedai you meet. When in doubt, you can always look to your peers to see how they respond. They are your best guide in these things. They will also help you get settled through your first days, finding your way through the Tower and to your classes or chores."

As she finished she stopped before a door. She knocked slightly and waited. When the door opened a young girl came out as quickly as she dared and Aramina heard the Mistress of Novice's call to enter.

She smiled slighlty to the Mistress of Novice as the young girl followed her in. "I found this one wandering around looking for you." She said in a clear voice. "She was already tested by another Aes Sedai before coming to Tar Valon."

dmaramina.jpg

She smiled slighlty to the Mistress of Novice as the young girl followed her in. "I found this one wandering around looking for you." She said in a clear voice. "She was already tested by another Aes Sedai before coming to Tar Valon."

Shanara gulped. She stepped forward into the office, back ramrod straight, hands curled loosely at her sides.

Faerzyne comforted the whippet of a novice seated in front of her as best she could. Her position as overseer of the White Tower initiates meant she more often handed out correction and punishments, yet there were times when she also offered a shoulder to cry on, for those in need. It was disconcerting at times, Faerzyne herself had never been one prone to tears or 'female' outbursts of emotion, yet to some of these girls, she was the closest thing they now had to a mother.

Offering the sniffling girl a handkerchief from her pocket, Faerzyne patted the girl's back lightly, from where she was kneeling in front of her, bells in her braids faintly tinkling with the motion. "There now child, dry your tears." She said softly, soothingly. The girl nodded, dabbing at her moist cheeks. She had been in the office now for some time, crying with homesickness, though now at least it seemed she was feeling better, her sobs subsiding. Faerzyne could hardly recall the words she had spoken to soothe her, but they seemed to work as the girl mustered a shaky smile.

"Thankyou, Aes Sedai." The girl managed as Faerzyne stood, awarding her with a smile as a tingling sensation passed over her, a sure sign that one of her wards had been set off. As if on cue a knock sounded on the door. "Off with you now girl." Said Faerzyne gently, leading her to the door. Opening it, the novice dropped a curtsey and scurried past, leaving a bewildered looking girl in her wake. Not clothed as an initiate, she had the appearance of an outsider, a petitioner perhaps, though she was in the company of a sister Faerzyne knew well, Aramina.

Faerzyne greeted the pair with a regal nod of recognition, before waving them to the matching chairs in front of her desk. Neither was particularly comfortable, but that was the point. Faerzyne had no desire to encourage lengthy visits to her office. She eyed the newcomer with more curiosity, always intrigued by the girls who passed her way, having newly discovered their gift.

So the girl had already been tested. This meant she had to know, somewhere deep down inside of herself that she would be accepted within the White Tower. That she would learn to channel, to the best of her abilities. Still the girl shifted in her seat, as if she couldn’t quite believe that she would be asked to stay. Faerzyne decided to relieve her from the tension that was building. She opened the book of Novices which was still in front of her. “So you’ve been tested already. How fortunate.†She picked up her pen, and prepared to write. “Let’s see about making your stay here a bit more permanent then, shall we?â€

She didn’t have to look at the young woman to see that there was a change in the tension that had kept her in it’s thrall. “Can you tell me your full name again?†As the girl replied, she wrote it down in the book. Another life sealed to the Tower, for better and for worse. “And your place of birth and raising?†again she wrote, making Shanara‘s stay more certain with every letter, every curved or straight line. “And finally your age.†She finished with a dot behind the age, which felt as heavy and important as any signature from any high lord or lady. “Welcome to the White Tower.â€

~Faerzyne, MoN

• 1 month later...

Shanara sighed, suddenly feeling like the wieght of the world had settled on her shoulders.

"Um... excuse me, uh... Faerzyne Sedai? What happens now? I read a little about novices... do I have o start right away on those chores or do I get to, um, you know, sleep first?" she asked, not quite sure how to word the question.

• 1 month later...

Finally the book was closed again. Faerzyne smiled inwardly, though her smooth facade did not change. Shanara would be no stranger to chores, it was possible she may even receive some today, but there were other things to see to first. Instead of answering the question, she walked over to one of the many cabinets. She pulled two novice dresses from the cabinet, and handed them to the girl. “These are yours to wear during the years you are a novice. You must tend to them well, mend them when they’re torn, wash them when they’re dirty. For the next years, you will not be allowed to wear anything apart from these dresses.â€

She settled behind her desk again, telling the young woman in front of her a little about the rules novices lived by. She went from the curfew to the restriction on venturing into Tar Valon, to the repercussions that would follow if she chose to venture into the yards without a good reason. “But you look like a sensible young woman, so I’m sure I won’t see too much of you here.â€

"Now, I will leave you in the capable hands of your mentor." Said Faerzynem turning her gaze to the Green sister. “I trust that you’ll tell her all she needs to know.†Faerzyne said. Her tone was dismissive. She glanced at the sun, and notice that it had shifted slightly. A while had passed since the young woman had entered her office. A while, but there was still a lot of time left. As the new mentor and mentee pair left her office she sighed, wondering if this day would end any time soon.

~Faerzyne, MoN

OOC: Soooooo sorry it took me so long!

Aramina nodded to the Mistress of Novices as she left, but it was rather troublesome, getting saddled with a new girl. Still, it was expected of her and Aramina never shirked her duty to the Tower. She looked at the girl as they walked out and gave her a polite smile. "So it seems we will be getting to know one another a bit better." Aramina said as they walked. She took her to the Novice's quarters as she continued talking.

"If you need anything you should be able to get help from your fellow Novices." She advised. "They will be able to help you learn to act appropriately, a think you will want to pick up on quickly if you wish to avoid any more chores than you have to."

"You can always talk to the Mistress of Novice and of course, I am availble as well. Do you have any questions so far?" Aramina asked.

dmaramina.jpg

"You can always talk to the Mistress of Novice and of course, I am availble as well. Do you have any questions so far?" Aramina asked.

"Will I be able to keep this?" Sharar asked, holding up her battered sword.

"Also, how long do girls stay Novices? Do we do stuf other than chores? And... um... I think that's it, really," Shanara concluded.

Aramina looked at the girl's sword. There was definitely a story there, the way she was clinging to it currently. She nodded. "Yes, you can keep it, but you will not be able to do anything with it as a novice. Your time will be too busy with classes and chores. Still, as an Accepted you can learn to work the swords. Not many Sisters find the time or need, but I found it very important. And I still find it to be an exercise in focus in the morning." She said, hoping that it was encouraging enough for the child.

"As for how long you remain a Novice that will depend upon your abilities and how quickly you learn. You will be in the Novice's white dress for years either way, but you will hardly notice the time as it goes by."

dmaramina.jpg