DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Handy food source for an army in the field

bigWalt

I have seen very little about logistics in this series, I have always been dubious of how the Aeil travel about without a swarm of wagons to bring the food.  So when an Army fights Trollocs I wonder why the provisioner's don't butcher trollocks for the meat they provide.  Considering that most Trollocs are partially derived from animal stock would it not be an excellent food source for an army in the field?  I wonder which strain of Trolloc would be the tastiest, bovine derived or avian derived?  Turn about is fair play after all.  I can see the trollocs quake at news of a human army approaching that is hungry. :)

Don't trollocs and Myrdraal have corrupted blood?  Even then, its semi-cannabalism.

You're right. Their blood etches steel if left on long enough, so thinking about what would happen if their flesh was consumed is not a pleasant though...

I have seen very little about logistics in this series, I have always been dubious of how the Aeil travel about without a swarm of wagons to bring the food.  So when an Army fights Trollocs I wonder why the provisioner's don't butcher trollocks for the meat they provide.   Considering that most Trollocs are partially derived from animal stock would it not be an excellent food source for an army in the field?  I wonder which strain of Trolloc would be the tastiest, bovine derived or avian derived?  Turn about is fair play after all.  I can see the trollocs quake at news of a human army approaching that is hungry. :)

Eating Trollocs is an absolutely abhorrent idea. Seriously dude.

Anyways, I don't think its fair to say logistics aren't addressed. I was reading the KoD prologue this morning and Ituralde is shown striking at a Seanchan supply dump on the Almoth Plain. Then you have that whole bit in CoT where Perrin stops at Malden for supplies. That's off the top of my head. I'm sure there's more examples of logistics, since Jordan was a graduate of the Citadel.

Even then, its semi-cannabalism.
Bear in mind, humans are quite tasty. Mmmmm, delicious human. I could sure eat one of them about now. Although, Trolloc of Myrddraal might be a little bit deadly. Just make sure it's cooked thoroughly before eating.

I have seen very little about logistics in this series.
There's good reason for that: while an essential part of warfare, it is rather dull. It is present, but doesn't take up a huge amount of the narrative, because it's not very interesting and it doesn't provide much in the way of forward plot progression. So it is kept wisely in the background, where it doesn't get in the way. That said, maybe one day someone will write a fantasy epic from the point of view of people in neglected parts of war, like logistics. "They say the fate of the world rests on this battle." "Better make sure they have enough meat then. I think we'll need a few more cows."

I have seen very little about logistics in this series, I have always been dubious of how the Aeil travel about without a swarm of wagons to bring the food.  So when an Army fights Trollocs I wonder why the provisioner's don't butcher trollocks for the meat they provide.   Considering that most Trollocs are partially derived from animal stock would it not be an excellent food source for an army in the field?  I wonder which strain of Trolloc would be the tastiest, bovine derived or avian derived?  Turn about is fair play after all.  I can see the trollocs quake at news of a human army approaching that is hungry. :)

Eating Trollocs is an absolutely abhorrent idea. Seriously dude.

Anyways, I don't think its fair to say logistics aren't addressed. I was reading the KoD prologue this morning and Ituralde is shown striking at a Seanchan supply dump on the Almoth Plain. Then you have that whole bit in CoT where Perrin stops at Malden for supplies. That's off the top of my head. I'm sure there's more examples of logistics, since Jordan was a graduate of the Citadel.

Lan is / was constantly being told to round up supplies.  Rand is always looking for the quickest route (i.e. The Ways, Portal Stones, Traveling).  Rand was nervous about how to feed the Aeil when they came across the Dragon Wall.  The starvation surrounding the standoff at Cairhien.  Nynaeve / Elayne / Egwene / Moiraine contantly dolling out Gold.  Issues on how to feed the Rebel Army.  I think there are many more references.

In LoC Mat was thinking about the wagons and barges supplying the Band.  In KoD he thinks about how one of his generals will be looting a supply dump.  The main purpose Rand wanted the Sea Folk's bargain was to have them ship food and solders, which he sent them to do in KoD.

There have been many references to the logistics.

When Perrin is talking to the wolves after Rand/Loial/Hurin's disappearance in The Great Hunt, the wolves mention Trolloc blood burning the tongue. Now it's pretty much impossible to drain every drop of blood from an animal before eating it. Since I butcher my own meat, I know this. Religious/cultural laws require the blood to be drained from meat I am going to eat, but even with a complicated slaughter/butcher process, you don't get all of it out. So Trolloc flesh would be extremely unpalatable, with the burning from its blood, and I can imagine it doesn't taste good.

Even if it could be eaten, I doubt most soldiers would consider eating Trolloc except in the last extreme. It's just not considered food. Thinking of eating Trolloc would be up there with thinking of eating manure. It's revolting. Instead, armies travel with huge stores of food and live animals. And they collect more along the road wherever they can.

There's actually quite a bit that can be eaten out in the wild if you need to survive, without ever having to kill a human or large animal for food. The Aiel, living their lives in the wilderness, would know about these things. They might not know the specifics of one region, but they know some general things, so they could get by.

OK I am convinced,  I should not have brought this question up particularly now that traveling is so prevalent.  I just want to see the trollocs repaid in kind.  I had remembered about the Myrdraal blood, but not that the trolloc blood was also caustic.  Another reason for yet another re-read of the entire series.  I was thinking of LotR trilogy when the Orcs are debating eating Merry and Pippin is ended by the one arguing against killing the one argueing for and gives the following great line: "Looks like meat is back on the menu boys!".

The Aiel could however run down calvary and eat the horses. One horse could easily feed 10 men for a few days. Aiel couldn't use war horses because they dont't ride, the horse would be disobedient, and wouldn't pull wagons. And since so many countries favor calvary, horses would be in great supply.

i see the point bigWalt is trying to say (about not many references to supply lines) but you have to think of it from the authours point of view no one wants to read a long boring description of how many wagons and animals it takes for a army to move they just want to see the army move quickly and fight some more  ;D

I was thinking of LotR trilogy
As Lord of the Rings is not a trilogy, I can safely say you weren't.

Really?  So what point are you trying to make?  I am thinking of the films not the books.  I have not reread the books since before the films came out. 

there are bunches of comments made about logistics from small to large scale

Mat moving his forces to tear w/ barges

the borderlands army when the AS say they will be boiling their boots soon for food ,and Elaynes comment on farmers that are gonna haggle w/ the borderlander army

Perrin saying he didnt want the rest of his forces joining him because he can barely keep fed the men he has , the whole going to that town to get grains and beans for his army

when the Asha'man scout comes to Rand and tells him the Seanchan are grabbing all the wagons and carts they can find , Rand realizes they will be making a big push and will need the supply train, thus they will be pushing to Illian

even to the smallest such as when Perrin an Egwene are on the run after Shadar Logath hunting and foraging on the run

same can be said for Lan/Moiraine/Perrin/Loial when they go after Rand , they are fishing when the camp and hunt / forage when they are on the move

So what point are you trying to make?
I thought that was pretty obvious. That Lord of the Rings is not a trilogy, and people are wrong to think of it as such. As you continue to do, citing "books" rather than "book". It's something people have to learn.

So what point are you trying to make?
I thought that was pretty obvious. That Lord of the Rings is not a trilogy, and people are wrong to think of it as such. As you continue to do, citing "books" rather than "book". It's something people have to learn.

OK it is one big book which has been devided into three volumns.  Are you happy?  ::)

i don't think he is ever happy unless he is kneecapping someone for a Bela joke  ;D

woops * checks body armor * although it isn't a Bela joke thought it was better to be safe than sorry  ;)

Don't worry, you're safe...for now. Anyway, there are numerous forms of torture I'm happy to inflict.

Archived