DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Character Preferance/Bias

Theleos

I have read the WoT series twice and I am listening to the Audiobooks, currently on Fires of Heaven.

I find that I love all the Male point of views, but that most of the female ones tend to annoy me. Now to clarify I am not saying I hate reading all the female parts. There are just a lot of scenes, particularly from Nyneave and Elayne, that really annoy me. Just how stubborn and stuck up they are in some aspects, and how they are always treating Thom and Juilin badly, and saying they don't need help then getting rescued all the time.

I know a lot of this annoyance is because I am very familiar with the plot now and I am focusing more on subtleties with the characters and the prophesies so I notice the small things more.

Anyways what I wanted to ask if I am just being biased because I am a man and so I prefer male point of view, or if its normal. I know some people have expressed dislike of Nyneave and Elayne (and for the record Nyneave does get better as the books progress) so I was just wondering how everybody else feels about it.

I am with you on this one.  I like the characters of Nynaeve and Elayne....they are just whiny and stuck up.  But it makes them more human by showing that they have flaws just like anyone else, although I am a man and i may have a negative opinion on their scenes sometimes also.  I think it is just trying to show the reader the corrolation between the real world, and the fantasy world.  No offense intended to any female that reads this.

I can honestly say I am not gender-biassed when it comes to the Wheel of Time characters. For all the ranting and raving I do about Rand, Moridin, Taim, Logain and Demandred to name but a few, I like my favorite women just as much as my favorite men characters.

Moiraine. Without a shadow of a doubt the best woman in the series. She risked everything to find the Dragon Reborn and help him; the way she is the only person who is really "with" Rand in his role, the way he mourns when she is gone, really drives home that she is the short big sister he never had.

Nynaeve makes me laugh, because of her temper and the way she is with Lan. I remember one part when shes angry with him, shes slapping him repeatedly, then she balls her fist and punches him in the stomach as hard as she can, THEN says they will talk about it rationally like adults. She is comical but not too comical, she develops as a woman, as Wisdom, and as Aes Sedai, and overall she is my favorite female character who "starts from square one" if you know what I mean.

Verin. She wears manipulation and misleadings like a suit of armor. I like her for her mysteriousness, and I feel that she shows us how the lying Oath works more than any other Aes Sedai in her PoVs. She twists the truth and uses it as a weapon.

I like Aviendha, I think she represents both the Far Dareis Mai and the Aiel in general very well. I like her pride, as in she sets herself very harsh punishments, and I like the way she acts towards Elayne even though I don’t like Elayne herself.

And last but definitely not least is Cadsuane. While she could never be Moiraines true replacement-such a thing does not exist-she is as good as anyone to fill the gap. She really is a legend, and not just from the way people act around her; you can see she is made of stern stuff in her PoVs, that she has been there and done it and most definitely earned the T-Shirt, if not several. I really do think she can take Semirhage, and I will feel let down if she ever looks like a noob like the Forsaken make so many people look.

So yeah, that pretty much sums up my top 5 female characters. Although its not in order. And even though I said its not in order I still feel guilty for listing Cadsuane last. HA! Robert Jordan knew what he was doing when he was making his female characters.

Well I also find it anoying how female charrs think about men. I mean how can there be any love in the world when not a single female respects any man :P Also I find that Elanye and Nynaeve (before he gets married with Lan) are worst in this. I think that this maybe something RJ wanted to put in books as a result of 3000 years with only female channelers. Maybe over the years women just have been getting the idea that men are good for nothing because they aren't good for channeling (Not as straight forward as it seems when I write it, but you get the basic idea)

Also I don't find every woman anoying because of this. Moiraine is ok and I like Min too and egwene in the later books most of the time. When the story goes forward I find myself liking Cadsuane more and more, but then I have to just remind me of her first appearance: She just walks in to the throne room in Cairhien, ignoring Rand's questions and the she dares to demand good manner from him! :O I mean I really hate people who demands something from others they don't do them selves!

The thing you have to remember though is that how the others see Cadsuane as well. We see her like that because Rand and co see her like that. I wonder if we will ever get a PoV from Cadsuane while having one of those moments with Rand, just to see her side of it. That'd be fun, watching Rand be stubborn and seeing Cadsuane get wound up for a change haha

most of the  prejudices  the females have against the  males i believe  is a result of the  breaking, men were not to be trusted this  was ingrained in  their culture  for many years. alot of the  gender bias are a  direct flip flop of our own culture.

Just for the record I do have my favorite female characters. I like Moiraine (obviously), Cadsuane, Min, Avienda, and Egwene. Its just that I find I like pretty much all the male characters. And even if I don't like the actual character I like reading his PoV. Its just not that way with the women.

Another thing that I thought about that might have something to do with this is that as the books progress we get to see less and less of Rand, and to some degree Mat and Perrin (although we do get a good amount from them). I find that we see so much from the women, especially Elayne when she is getting the Lion Throne, that it may effect how much I like reading about them.

I realize that this kinda sounds like I am complaining, Im not. I just noticed this and thought I would comment on it.

Its always annoying when you dont get much Rand in a book, I agree. At least the first part of AMoL will be Rand enough, judging from the news

I hope Rand turns awesome again... He's been a cold emotionless p**** for too long. I really hope something is done in TGS to make him.. well not ordinary since hes the Dragon Reborn, but a bit more normal.

I am a guy and I actually find that one of my favorite characters is Egwene, and of course Moirane. I really didn't like Moirane until my second read-through and just realized how much shes done. Reading New Spring also helped me appreciate how BA she really is.

Its always annoying when you dont get much Rand in a book, I agree. At least the first part of AMoL will be Rand enough, judging from the news

I hope Rand turns awesome again... He's been a cold emotionless p**** for too long. I really hope something is done in TGS to make him.. well not ordinary since hes the Dragon Reborn, but a bit more normal.

I am a guy and I actually find that one of my favorite characters is Egwene, and of course Moirane. I really didn't like Moirane until my second read-through and just realized how much shes done. Reading New Spring also helped me appreciate how BA she really is.

BA? Black Ajah? Or something else?

For the rest, I agree with you. Though I liked Moiraine already in TEOTW when she told of the history of Manetheren. I hated Nynaeve in the beginning (not so strange when you like Moiraine), but that changed slowly after Tanchico.

He will, we have Cadsuanes role to look forward to and that, I think, will bring about a stronger Rand. Plus we have to see his reacion to Moiraines return yet and also him finding out he has kids on the way.

Me, Im looking forward to watching this shadow grow in the Dragon Reborn! I cant wait. Good, kickass heroes are fun to watch, but the ones that struggle are the best.

BA? Black Ajah? Or something else?

For the rest, I agree with you. Though I liked Moiraine already in TEOTW when she told of the history of Manetheren. I hated Nynaeve in the beginning (not so strange when you like Moiraine), but that changed slowly after Tanchico.

By BA I meant badass lol.

Archived