DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Shaidar Haran

* A Myrddraal confronts Rand at the Stag and Lion, smiling as it approaches him. (TEotW,Ch17)

* As Bors and the other Darkfriends wait, two Trollocs open the doors and admit a Myrddraal that smiles and announces that their Master comes....

woah didnt know that we had seen Haran in EoTW...

I doubt the second one would be shaidar haran, he did smile but after ishy came in he groveled on the ground, bors commented that the myrddraal was terrified.  The Haran that we were introduced to in LoC bows to no one but the DO, i don't think it's likely he'd be groveling before Ishamael.

I think Fain will be involved in Shaidars downfall.

I wonder about Shaidar and Moridin myself, the fact that we get PoVs from both yet neithers' thoughts ever mention the other seems strange. Moridin never mentions Shaidar to the other Chosen yet Shaidar sends one of them to Moridin. RJ said about Shaidar Haran "It’s as though the Dark One is able to project a shadowy form of himself into this creature…it is the Dark One in shadowy form" and that seems like a fishy answer to me. First off, both of those comments cant be true unless "this creature" is something or someone else (Moridin?) and also, why would the Dark One in shadowy form bring the other Chosen under Moridins control, and not its own? If the Dark One found a way to place a part of himself on the world before Tarmon Gaidon, I would have thought he would do more than simply punish a few Chosen because I would have thought Moridin would be more than capable of doing so himself. I wonder a lot about Shaidar Haran. The only thing that stops me from saying it is someone playing tricks is RJs comment on the one in TGH being Shaidar 0.5.

RJ said about Shaidar Haran "It’s as though the Dark One is able to project a shadowy form of himself into this creature…it is the Dark One in shadowy form" and that seems like a fishy answer to me. First off, both of those comments cant be true
Yes, they can. They are, after all, saying the same thing in slighly different ways.

any  idea where i can get all of RJ's statements?that might help clear up some of my theories...can any1 post a link or something?

http://forums.dragonmount.com/index.php/topic,26044.0.html You can make your own way from there.

i forget which FAQ i seen this on but RJ states that Shadar Haran is more like an avatar of the DO

Actually, RJ explicitly stated that he does not see Shaidar Haran as Shai'tan's avatar, because "I generally think of an avatar as having exactly the same powers as, and it is not: Shaidar Haran does not have nearly as much power as the Dark One."

http://www.wotmania.net/faqtopic.asp?ID=17

Actually, RJ explicitly stated that he does not see Shaidar Haran as Shai'tan's avatar, because "I generally think of an avatar as having exactly the same powers as, and it is not: Shaidar Haran does not have nearly as much power as the Dark One."

http://www.wotmania.net/faqtopic.asp?ID=17

Avatars in mythology aren't necessarily complete manifestations of their original selves either, sometimes they appear only in part. Not that this should have any bearing on the books, just wanted to point that out.

Quote from: OptimusPrime on July 18, 2009, 08:15:07 AM

RJ said about Shaidar Haran "It’s as though the Dark One is able to project a shadowy form of himself into this creature…it is the Dark One in shadowy form" and that seems like a fishy answer to me. First off, both of those comments cant be true

Yes, they can. They are, after all, saying the same thing in slighly different ways.

Must just be me then. It doesnt look right.

Avatars in mythology aren't necessarily complete manifestations of their original selves either, sometimes they appear only in part. Not that this should have any bearing on the books, just wanted to point that out.
Perhaps someone should have pointed it out to RJ, as it was his definition.

Archived