DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Prologue of The Ormr by David Hermes

David Hermes

In a castle in the clouds, Queen Diane, her face red from strain and her hands deathly white from grasping the bed posts, was on her bed in labour. Next to the Queen sat the mid-wife helping her through the labour.

The Queen's room was circular in shape and painted pink. The eaves were made of gold and there was an elaborate chandelier made of many tiny diamond crystals which reflected the light from the golden eaves, so making the chandelier shine like a miniature sun. The bed was made of mahogany, the mattress was of soft down, the bedsheets and blankets were made of pure white silk, and the pillows were made of red velvet.

Nythaganius, the King was very anxious and excited about having a newborn child. He was pacing back and forth outside the Queen's room.

He was a very handsome man. He was kind, gentle and fair. The clothes he wore were a white shirt and trousers lined at the seams with gold. He had long black hair which fell below his shoulders, iridiscent green eyes with golden flecks dotting the iris, and skin as white as snow.

Nythaganius had other matters troubling him.

At that moment the mid-wife burst through the door, nearly sending it off its hinges.

"It's a boy, it's a boy!" screamed the mid-wife repeatedly to the King.

The King ran into the room to find his Queen lying on the bed cradling his newborn son.

His son was wrapped in pink silk. The baby had snow-white skin, sharp blue hair and his father's eyes. He had a flame-like birthmark on the palm of his right hand, which gave the appearance of constantly moving.

"What will be his name, sire?" the mid-wife asked.

"Luke," answered the Queen and King together, looking at their newborn child with loving eyes.

Just then, the guard came in, gasping for air and sweating.

"My Lord, Voltrox his here, with his wizards!" exclaimed the guard hurriedly, still gasping for air.

"Sent out the wizards and fire-throwers. I want all the gates closed!" ordered Nuythaganius. This was just as he feared.

Luke started to cry, and the mid-wife was panicking. All Nythaganius could think of at that moment was of Diane's and Luke's safety.

"Get yourselves out of here!" urged Nythaganius.

"But what about you?" Diane asked.

"I'll be alright, just get yourselves out of here."

"I love you."

"I love you too."

Nythaganius and Diane exchanged a parting kiss.

Just then, the door exploded into burning timbers and smoke. Through the smoke came a tall man with purple robes and a black pointed wizard's hat. His head was almost rectangular, with black beady eyes, and a black moustache and beard, which was cut to a point.

"Well, well, well! Looks like we have a new member to the party," said Voltrox slyly.

Luke started to cry agaian, and Diane rocked Luke gently.

"Go now!" Nythaganius urged Diane.

"Not so fast!" shouted Voltrox."Blitz!"

Forked green lightning shot out from his out-stretched hand homing towards Luke.

"Schield!" shouted Nythaganius, a blue dome appeared over them and reflected the lightning back to Voltrox.

It hit him square on the chest and shocked him.

"Now's your chance!" urged Nythaganius.

Diane nodded and ran with the baby towards the wall, mutterring magic  words under her breath, she made the wall move noiselessly down, leaving a tunnel in front of her. She ran into it leaving behind the mid-wife, Nythaganius, and Voltrox, with tears streaming down her cheeks. The wall moved up seamlessly into place.

Archived