DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

If you were an aes sedai?

My first choice would be Red Ajah. Someone has to do it, otherwise the world would be Broken all over again, and those poor men would be doomed to go mad and rot alive. Hopefully I'd be able to treat the poor men with more compassion than some of the Book Reds show.

Second choice would be Yellow - obviously to Heal people, though I would love to Heal animals. I'd probably spend my time out on the farms.

I’d like to think of myself as red or green. ‘Cause they’re all cool with their noble goals and secret battle ajah weaves and all that. But I think if I was being honest it would have to be yellow. I’d still be in loads of battles though. I’d be like a red-green-yellow fusion aes sedai. ;D  

Waiting for the Amyrlins official seal of approval but I’m thinking the ‘silver ajah’, no no...The ‘gold ajah’.

Sorry, I can get really carried away sometimes. :-[

Although it would be weird if I were an Aes Sedai, given that I'm a boy. :P
Assuming they let guys in, the Greens tend to be big fans of guys...Sure you don't fancy changing to Green?

I'd be a White. None of the others really do their jobs anyway.

Now there's an interesting point. I guess I should search the forum to see if it has been discussed, and perhaps I will later on, but Luckers' statement (which made me snicker, btw) made me ask myself: is there (I think there is) a narrative slant favoring certain Ajahs, and if so, to what degree and why? (For example, I think it's fairly clear that Blue is portrayed in a more positive light than, say, Red.)

I’d like to think of myself as red or green. ‘Cause they’re all cool with their noble goals and secret battle ajah weaves and all that. But I think if I was being honest it would have to be yellow. I’d still be in loads of battles though. I’d be like a red-green-yellow fusion aes sedai. ;D  

Waiting for the Amyrlins official seal of approval but I’m thinking the ‘silver ajah’, no no...The ‘gold ajah’.

Sorry, I can get really carried away sometimes. :-[

*lol*  Here at the Tower we had a pink Ajah and a Teal Ajah at one time. Just joking y/know.  :D  I can't quite remember, but there may have been a Purple one as well.  ;D

Now there's an interesting point. I guess I should search the forum to see if it has been discussed, and perhaps I will later on, but Luckers' statement (which made me snicker, btw) made me ask myself: is there (I think there is) a narrative slant favoring certain Ajahs, and if so, to what degree and why? (For example, I think it's fairly clear that Blue is portrayed in a more positive light than, say, Red.)

I think there's a definite narrative slant favoring certain Ajahs. There's so little in the books about the Grey Ajah, I sometimes forget there is one.  :)

I would assume most of the narrative slant is due to the fact that the story is told from viewpoints of certain people with certain biases. I mean we really don't often get a viewpoint from a person that has a positive bias towards red ajah and who isn't a total jerk so...

Honestly though red has been doing it's job allmost a bit too well, and it is an important and practical job to do. It's just slightly redundant at the moment, and not generally viewed in positive light.

As for myself, I'd most likely lean towards either green or brown.

I'd have to disagree with the red ajah doing their job a little too well, did you forget how many men are inside the black tower?

As for the question, i would have to be green ajah. Not that im particularly up for a fight (last battle n all) but i would have to bond warders from each country, so i could infiltrate all of the countries with ease and have a mini army with me 24/7.

I'd tweak the bond towards compulsion also.

I mean we really don't often get a viewpoint from a person that has a positive bias towards red ajah and who isn't a total jerk so...

Exactly. So is there any deep meaning as to why RJ wrote it this way? Why have all (or almost all) the Reds be ickypants and Blues happypants?

If the tower was open to males then I'd choose either the Brown or the Gray.

The Brown primarily for that awesome library that they run in the tower. Yes, it is accessible to all but Browns rule supreme. Just reading through ancient manuscripts, learning all the history and making some new discoveries along the way seems great to me. Plus Verin is awesome ;P

The Gray for the role that they play as mediators and advisors. How they're meant to be masters in Daes Dae'mar. Granted, in the books a lot of the grays seem to have ranged from bumbling to weird. From Merana to Coiren to Annoura even (she factors in to the latter). On the other hand we have sisters like Yukiri who appear alright from what we have seen of them. We also have not seen much of them in the books, at least not as much as the other Ajahs. At least that's how I have interpreted it, others may see things completely differently.

Travelling seems like a big aspect of the Ajah and that's another positive factor.

*Sniffs and adjusts Red shawl*

Does this mean that I should now snort? :D

Careful. If you do, she may fold her arms under her breasts...

If they let me in, in order of preference:

Green

Brown

Blue

Red

Yellow

White

Gray

Ok concider when was the last time you saw the Yellow actively trying to heal--as opposed to casually healing whatever crossed their paths whilst they were doing other stuff? I mean the one major healing we've seen done, that of mat, was done without a yellow in sight. How successful are the Greys when the world so casually slanders Aes Sedai? When was the last time the Brown's discovered anything relevant (not since the Oath Rod is my guess). The Blues? Ok, Moiraine has been pretty successful in her cause, but what of all the others?

Which brings us to the Greens. The Battle Ajah. Those that wait to fight the Shadow. Except... oh wait... they don't fight the Shadow. Why don't they have constant outposts in the borderlands helping those that ARE fighting the Shadow? Because they're off living their lives.

The Battle Ajah. Bull. Take the full of Malkier, had they been the Battle Ajah they would have been there to help. Instead they were the We-Will-Do-What-We-Want-Until-All-Hope-Is-Lost-Then-We-Might-Actually-Fight Ajah. And you know what happens when your THAT ajah? You don't get there in time.

That leaves the Red and the White. The White are thinkers and its hard to fail at thinking. The Red have their problems, but still do their jobs.

dmvdc you should read my 'The Life and Times of an Aes Sedai' thread if you're interested in this topic.

http://forums.dragonmount.com/index.php/topic,34627.0.html

Hmm.  Green sounds like an exciting life, but the enjoyment factor would go way down when the battle started up.  Brown sounds like a boring life, but it has its perks too.  Yellow, I'm ambivalent towards.  Blue and Gray, well, then you'd have to deal with nobles all the time.  That sounds like no fun.  Red's got an important goal, but it seems to really corrupt them.  White's a bunch of Vulcans, and what do they even do anyways?

*Sniffs and adjusts Red shawl*

Does this mean that I should now snort? :D

Careful. If you do, she may fold her arms under her breasts...

If they let me in, in order of preference:

Green

Brown

Blue

Red

Yellow

White

Gray

I'm sorry - I just can't see you as anything other than a Red, Mr Ares  ;D

Green sounds like an exciting life, but the enjoyment factor would go way down when the battle started up.
Enjoyment factor go down? Nah. It's a high only morphine can top.

I'm sorry - I just can't see you as anything other than a Red, Mr Ares  ;D
Well, it would bring out the colour of my eye. That, or green, depending on which eye.

Green sounds like an exciting life, but the enjoyment factor would go way down when the battle started up.
Enjoyment factor go down? Nah. It's a high only morphine can top.

I guess it would be a little different than being a grunt.  After all, you have multiple super swordsmen watching your back and your own powerful abilities.

Archived