DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Terry Goodkind is judging me. :'(

Doselan

Anybody that reads Sword of Truth. Have you ever noticed that on the newer publications, there's a rather large picture of Terry on the back of the dust-jacket, and he has this look on his face... I mean... He looks like he's either going to eat my brain, or that he sees all my faults and is judging me for them. :'(

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't got him on the back of mine ;D

I'd also like to say that I don't think he copies RJ anymore than RJ copies JRR Tolkein. Fantasy will have a lot of similar things in it. But the similarities are very small and only made big if you just dwell on those things.

If they copy things, it's not only one of them, and yes, there are really similar things. This cannot be avoided.

I'm still not convinced. I've read both series multiple times and while I am a much bigger fan (I don't go to any sites for SoT to compliain/theorize or anything else) of WoT.

The Wheel of Time and The Sword of Truth are two completely different written stories, with small similarities and coincidences that happen in fantasy all the time.

You know the biggest similarities I see between them? No disrespect to RJ of course.

They both ramble on about some of the stupidest shit a writer and fantasy author possibly could in my opinion. The biggest ones?

Religion(TG) and Fashion and interior decorating observations. (RJ)

I found this link on the good ol' internets just little bit ago and I have to say this...I'm assuming it's a a lady who wrote it. Anglefire seems to be the name, but yeah, she's a piece of work. I won't even try and go point over point to point out all the very stupid "Points" they think they have. In fact a lot of her "Points" make you realize how different they actually are. Mostly due the the fact that I've read both series thouroughly and she barely knows what she's talking about.  ;D But check it out if you want. It's almost well written if it weren't for the fact that she probably hasn't read each series completely through (As far as they go) as many times as I, and maybe possibly others on here have. It looks grim though, I sort of feel like I should be watching my back a little a little more vigilantly as I'm typing this.  ;D

Oh. So you're new here.

I've been here for a couple years, I just come into fiddlesticks and stuff when there are no good discussions going on for some cheap entertainment lol.

But the whole "Watch my back" thing is in reference to the almost Nazi like hate for Terry Goodkind amongst most avid WoT readers. I happen to be one of the few who has enjoyed both series very much. Albeit, i'm a much bigger fan of Wot than SoT. But still. I liked it. The big ol' mod guys like Luckers and Majsju  who run the other sections for debate and theories about the stuff in the books and some of the other prominent poster like Mr Ares are not the greatest fans of TG and his work. So it was a joke about that...Poorly placed in this thread I guess. Also much less funny having have had to explain it.  ;D

Oh. So you're new here.

I've been here for a couple years, I just come into fiddlesticks and stuff when there are no good discussions going on for some cheap entertainment lol.

But the whole "Watch my back" thing is in reference to the almost Nazi like hate for Terry Goodkind amongst most avid WoT readers. I happen to be one of the few who has enjoyed both series very much. Albeit, i'm a much bigger fan of Wot than SoT. But still. I liked it. The big ol' mod guys like Luckers and Majsju  who run the other sections for debate and theories about the stuff in the books and some of the other prominent poster like Mr Ares are not the greatest fans of TG and his work. So it was a joke about that...Poorly placed in this thread I guess. Also much less funny having have had to explain it.  ;D

Tbh havent read the series, but watched the first two episodes of the seeker yesterday and it did feel abit, i dont know, similar somehow like if ive seen parts of the story before. But nvm, dont really care if someone does or does not get affected by jordans work. My war is with all the tolkien nerdies who keep bringing up way to many ridiciolus points about the connection between jordan and tolkien.

"Legend of the Seeker" is pretty much a travesty. TG finished the series and I guess was hard up for cash..Or fame, or something and just sold out. It really is crap compared to the books. Not like Harry Potter style where they leave out a couple things. There are parts totally left out and others completely made up just for the show.

But yeah, I hear you with the Tolkien thing. Everyone is always going to have their favorite author and they're always going to find someone who "Stole" or "Plagarized" from said favorite author. That's just the way it is.

Coincidentally enough, I actually don't feel that way about any of the authors I've read. Though i'm sure plenty of others here have a broader experience with literature than myself. I really can name let's see..Seven fantasy authors i've really read and enjoyed. Robert Jordan, Terry Goodkind, Margaret Weis, Tracy Hickman, Piers Anthony and David Eddings. I used to really like Brian Jacques when I was in junior high. Wrote the "Redwall" series. There were uhh...Mice..Otters, and Badgers too. Not as cool anymore.

"Legend of the Seeker" is pretty much a travesty. TG finished the series and I guess was hard up for cash..Or fame, or something and just sold out. It really is crap compared to the books. Not like Harry Potter style where they leave out a couple things. There are parts totally left out and others completely made up just for the show.

I agree sooooo very much.  I couldn't bear to watch more than the first episode, and I'm not even sure I finished that much of it.  It was sooo horrid. >:( 

ive seen 3 episodes now. It turned into some sort of Merlin i think:P oh and the 3rd episode was pretty similar to the way some episodes in supernatural was, felt like a filler even though it was the 3rd episode lol.

Quote : Asha'man Kovan on July 09, 2009, 04:10:08 AM

Absolutely! Although there are places I don't like in the book, this definitely is far from it.

Archived